Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

Minnesota can’t offer that much. That’s what I’m saying. Talking on their board that was what everyone said. They can’t pay him more than around 25/per. Not bc of this season... but bc if future seasons. They have 5 rather big FAs that need deals next off season. And they can’t resign them with Cousins commanding 35mill per. Sounds like they are in at 25ish but anything over 30 they are out.

18 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Minnesota can’t offer that much. That’s what I’m saying. Talking on their board that was what everyone said. They can’t pay him more than around 25/per. Not bc of this season... but bc if future seasons. They have 5 rather big FAs that need deals next off season. And they can’t resign them with Cousins commanding 35mill per. Sounds like they are in at 25ish but anything over 30 they are out.

Signing FA after 2018 won't clog 2019 salary cap.  2020 salary cap begins to clog up by 2019 signings but Cousins' salary may be restructured.  Remember those 5 FA whoever they are are not guaranteed to return.  Vikings are structurally sound so that means they draft prospects who could replace future FA players.

35 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Cousins said he will be visiting each team that is interested. That tells me he will factor in more than just money. Otherwise he would just be sitting back and listening to offers. My gut tells me he will be picking the team where he likes the coaching staff, can perform well, can win, and can pay him. The Jets check the box on 3 of us. The winning part will have to go on faith that management will make good draft selections. Minny checks the box on all of those.

The one thing that will help us is that while Cousins is doing his tour, the Jets can still make free agent pickups and still be able to sign Cousins. So, we may well be able to land a couple of big free agents before Cousins makes his decision. The other teams in the sweepstakes can't do that since they only have enough room for Cousins.

We're still in this. Just that we are likely a distant second.

6 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Cousins said he will be visiting each team that is interested. That tells me he will factor in more than just money. Otherwise he would just be sitting back and listening to offers. My gut tells me he will be picking the team where he likes the coaching staff, can perform well, can win, and can pay him. The Jets check the box on 3 of us. The winning part will have to go on faith that management will make good draft selections. Minny checks the box on all of those.

The one thing that will help us is that while Cousins is doing his tour, the Jets can still make free agent pickups and still be able to sign Cousins. So, we may well be able to land a couple of big free agents before Cousins makes his decision. The other teams in the sweepstakes can't do that since they only have enough room for Cousins.

Problem is Jets roster is empty.  Cousins will tour around the lower states on March 12 and 13. If he decides to sign new contract in no time, Jets are out. If Cousins takes time then Jets better be aggressive in FA.

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Not sure I want to fully guarantee it either.  I'd be ok with a big guarantee but fully, not so much.

I'd also want to structure it so his cap hit declines moving forward not increases.

Yes I agree. I would even be fine with the crazy guarantee that has been floated about ($60M year 1). I don't think a fully guaranteed deal is as scary as people want to believe especially since the QB position has such a long shelf life. I think if you sign Cousins the intention is for him to play out the entirety of a contract where most other players get bonus years to. Stretch out a signing bonus. 

6 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

I've been out of the loop

So Minny has officially entered in the running?

It's going to take a miracle for us but let's pray for it.

We still can significantly outbid Minnesota. It will just be if money will talk to Cousins that’s the question.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

We still can significantly outbid Minnesota. It will just be if money will talk to Cousins that’s the question.

Again, people are underestimating Minny's cap space.  If Floyd retires and they cut Murray, they're already over 60 mil before other roster moves.  Unless Mac is offering a 60 mil cap hit in year one, we're not significantly outbidding them.  

45 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

What can benefit us is being one of the later teams to make a pitch to him and bring him in to wow him. This is actually what they jets should be pushing for when setting up a meeting with him. Therefor by the time he visits we will have already hopefully made a good 4+ additions to the roster to show Cousins our roster will be improved.

Just now, barnaby8787 said:

Again, people are underestimating Minny's cap space.  If Floyd retires and they cut Murray, they're already over 60 mil before other roster moves.  Unless Mac is offering a 60 mil cap hit in year one, we're not significantly outbidding them.  

Again they have cap space this year but have to resign several big names next year. What do you think Cousins is going to sign a 1yr deal with them?

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Again they have cap space this year but have to resign several big names next year. What do you think Cousins is going to sign a 1yr deal with them?

They have 5 key free agents next year.  If they sign Cousins and don't go crazy in FA, they'll have 50 mil+ next year in cap space.  That's enough to re-sign at least 3 of those guys and replace the other two in the draft, no problem.  They're one of the most complete teams in the league right now and have plenty of depth.  They'll be fine. 

5 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

They have 5 key free agents next year.  If they sign Cousins and don't go crazy in FA, they'll have 50 mil+ next year in cap space.  That's enough to re-sign at least 3 of those guys and replace the other two in the draft, no problem.  They're one of the most complete teams in the league right now and have plenty of depth.  They'll be fine. 

Their FAs will command way more than that. They have one of the best edge guys hitting FA, one of the best LB hitting FA, a very good deep threat WR among others. Just to keep those 3 will cost them 35mill or more. Like I stated Minnesota is in the race 100% but money matters to him... Minnesota can’t pay that. The whole board on Minnesota said they can’t afford much more than 25 per. Yet you say otherwise. Come on man.

Archived