Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

23 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Not sure how much cost of living matters when you are that wealthy. It only is meaningful for housing. Outside of that, it doesn't really make a difference since his other expenses will just be a minute fraction of his salary. But yes, housing in NYC is about 3X as expensive. So, instead of buying a $6 mil home, he can buy a $2 mil home. Just not sure cost of living is a meaningful factor though. Looking at the cities as a whole, I'll call it even. My brother lives in the Minneapolis area; so, I've been there a few times. It's a really nice city. These "small market" cities are not really small any more. 

Agree on the investing on a franchise QB though. I think Cousins at $30 mil is fine. Above that, I would rather us turn our attention to one of the top QB's in the draft.

I am not an expert on Taxes but I'd also be amazed if the Taxes is Mn were as high as NY.  That turns into a big time money difference.

2 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

What if Cousins agrees to take a ridonkulous guarenteed contract eith an opt out option every year for the first three years. Cousins could try it out for at least a season in NY/NJ, see if he likes the marketability. If the Jets aren't any better, he opts out and goes to Minnesota or somewhere else in another two years. That way endorsements will matter less for him as well as money in general. Jets trade off knowing he's there every season for the ability to sign him up and take it by year. No pressure, flexibility for Cousins, and the Jets can learn to run their organization a little bit better while they're relevant again and hopefully figure out what works with a quality QB.

I understand the idea but I don't think we would commit to that because the whole point of front loading a deal is to get him cheaper on the back end to give him weapons. If he has the ability to opt out every year then he'll do it once he dips under market value.

1 hour ago, rampantjet said:

I am not an expert on Taxes but I'd also be amazed if the Taxes is Mn were as high as NY.  That turns into a big time money difference.

Minnesota has a higher state tax rate than New York by 1%. I dont think that will come into play either. It's just a 1% difference in NY's favor. 

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I hate to break it some of you... but he will get at least 30mill per, probably even more. Stafford is getting 27mill and he was drafted by his team. Jimmy G is making 27.5 per (which really shows how much Cousins will get). Since we cant seem to draft worth a darn this unfortunately is the route we have to take. Therefor you always have to overpay in FA generally speaking for top notch players. If we as fans don't like it. Start getting on the FO for drafting better if anything. Fact is we have a QB need and a ton of cap space. Not a player on our team makes 8 figures (I'd imagine we might be the only team that has that by the way). We absolutely can afford paying Cousins big money and that's exactly the stance I imagine we take. I don't see us penny pinching on him at all. I imagine we nearly write him a blank check and say what will it take to get you here.

Side note... none of us are paying him, the FO is. And they know they're on the hot seat and need an answer at QB. The draft is a big risk and they know that. They'd rather overpay by 5mill and get a QB and get the franchise back on track than lose their jobs and have potentially no QB still.

I know he'll likely get 30 but any GM dumb enough to pay him 35 per year should be fired on the spot

13 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

You and I both know you can't just assume you can replace guys. 

We talked about this a page or two back. They'd only need to replace Waynes who is easily replaceable and maybe Diggs or Kendricks. Not too tough of a task

Most of you keep thinking of reasons why he wont sign. I get most of you don't want Cousins... but I'd rather see this as to reasons pro him coming here not against him coming here. You argue that Minnesota can replace guys like Diggs, Kendrick, Barr, etc. Why not say well we can upgrade at spots to improve our roster instead? We have plenty of ways to upgrade with 110mill in cap space and 3 picks in the top 49. Lets think of how we can make this roster better that might improve our chances of getting Cousins if anything.

I've stated that we should on 3/12 right away attack FA as if Cousins isn't coming. We unlike every other team in FA have that luxury bc we have cap space. Go get a CB or 2. An OC and OG. A WR. Therefor when Cousins takes his visit here he sees we mean business in upgrading this team all while still have WAYYYYYYY more valuable draft picks than that of Minnesota.

1 minute ago, barnaby8787 said:

Per rotoworld "According to SNY's Ralph Vacchiano, there is "rampant speculation around the league" that free agent Kirk Cousins is "destined" to sign with the Vikings"

Hey i never talked to anyone, this isn't my speculation.   But seriously though.... who didn't see this coming once the Vikings declared their interest.  It is where he is going unless there is a crazy curveball.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Most of you keep thinking of reasons why he wont sign. I get most of you don't want Cousins... but I'd rather see this as to reasons pro him coming here not against him coming here. You argue that Minnesota can replace guys like Diggs, Kendrick, Barr, etc. Why not say well we can upgrade at spots to improve our roster instead? We have plenty of ways to upgrade with 110mill in cap space and 3 picks in the top 49. Lets think of how we can make this roster better that might improve our chances of getting Cousins if anything.

I've stated that we should on 3/12 right away attack FA as if Cousins isn't coming. We unlike every other team in FA have that luxury bc we have cap space. Go get a CB or 2. An OC and OG. A WR. Therefor when Cousins takes his visit here he sees we mean business in upgrading this team all while still have WAYYYYYYY more valuable draft picks than that of Minnesota.

I said a bit ago that we were a better destination than Denver.  We are not even close to a better destination than Minn.  They have more money than Denver, and a better roster. 

You can't compare us revamping an entire roster minus maybe 2-4 starting spots, to Minn having to retain or replace like 4 guys, a full season from now, and therefore having 2 full drafts and about 50 million dollars (post Cousins signing) to do it.  One of those things is insanely easier to do.... and it isn't what we have to do.  Plus you are acting as if Minn fails to replace every single one of those guys that they will instantly be a terrible team.  They are a deep squad they can lose some guys and still compete.  

Archived