Seattle Mariners Thread

Eagles27

13 hours ago, Mesa_Titan said:

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/jerry-dipoto-tells-mariners-fans-what-they-dont-want-to-hear/

I don't care how much good he's done. Fire him if we stand pat and don't make massive strides on offense.

What he said made sense, he just said it in an incredibly dumb way. Shameful to see him be nothing but a mouthpiece for Stanton at this point. 

I said earlier in the year when we struggled that I thought we had a better foundation to improve quicker from down years, but they can't be satisfied with just that. If we were in a less competitive division it may be fine, but the Angels, Astros, and Rangers are going to consistently outspend us which makes the margin for error incredibly slim. This FO has not done anything close to make us believe they can be a better version of the Rays. 

Maybe we land Ohtani (and I expect them actually make a major offer as he will bring in tons of $$$) but there is no reason to believe he will want to sign here unless we overpay. We need 2-3 quality bats regardless of position. We have 1B & DH open so we should be looking for multiple 120+ wrc+ bats. Add a 5th starter and trade Miller or Woo in a package for a controllable bat. We also need a high leverage reliever to take some responsibility away from Munoz and Brash. 

C- Cal Raleigh [S]
1B- **Free Agent/Trade**
2B-
SS- JP Crawford [L]
3B- Eugenio Suzarez [R]
LF-
CF- Julio Rodriguez [R]
RF- Jarred Kelenic [L]
DH- **Free Agent/Trade**

BN-
BN- 2B/3B Josh Rojas
BN- **Free Agent/Trade**
BN- UT Dylan Moore

Bubble: 1B Ty France, IF Jose Caballero, OF Dom Canzone

Get Rid Of/AAA: 1B Mike Ford, OF Sam Haggerty

SP1- RHP Luis Castillo
SP2- RHP George Kirby
SP3- RHP Logan Gilbert
SP4- RHP Bryce Miller
SP5- **Free Agent/Trade**

RP- RHP Andres Munoz
RP- **Free Agent/Trade**
RP- RHP Matt Brash
RP- RHP Justin Topa
RP- **Free Agent/Trade**
RP- LHP Gabe Speier
RP- RHP Isaiah Campbell
RP-

Bubble: RHP Bryan Woo, RHP Emerson Hancock, LHP Tayler Saucedo, RHP Prelander Berroa

Get Rid Of/AAA: LHP Marco Gonzales, RHP Trent Thornton, RHP Dom Leone, RHP Eduard Bazardo

Thoughts on Bats:
-Give Teo the qualifying offer. If he accepts, fine. If he walks, fine. He is a fine stop-gap for 1 year, but I would not offer him an extension.
-I would happily take Tom Murphy back on a 1 or 2 year deal. I expect he will get a better opportunity elsewhere and walk. 
-I am fine with Rojas/Caballero at 2B if they add legit bats at 1B, DH, & COF. Otherwise Rojas should be on the bench and Caballero in AAA. 
-Canzone is fine off the bench, but could get pushed out if we add 2 OF. 
-Geno is fine at 3B for 1 more year even though he didn't hit in 2023. Add someone else who can either play 3B or 2B and give him less AB's though. (Rojas mixed in at 2B & 3B)
-I am fine with keeping 1 of Moore or Haggerty on the roster. Both on the roster and playing consistently is unacceptable. Moore has a decent contract, so I lean towards him. 
-No bats coming from the farm in early 2024. I am fine with a stop-gap at 2B to wait for Young/Bliss as they are close enough now. (Bliss in 2024 and Young in 2025)

Thoughts on Pitching:
-I'm excited to get Robbie back. But won't count on him for the first half.
-Get rid of Marco. Like him but there is no place for him on this team.
-I am fine with keeping either Miller or Woo. Flip the other and get a bat. Don't trade Logan. 
-Grab a 5th starter to eat innings and be better than Marco. Don't invest too much as they will need to be pushed out when Robbie comes back. 
-BP needs help. Don't need Hader or Hicks, but a reliable high leverage arm. They can do their normal reclamation project for the other spot. 
-Move Hancock to the BP and have him compete with Berroa for a BP spot along with whoever else. Don't see him as a rotation piece. 

9 minutes ago, Eagles27 said:

C- Cal Raleigh [S]
1B- **Free Agent/Trade**
2B-
SS- JP Crawford [L]
3B- Eugenio Suzarez [R]
LF-
CF- Julio Rodriguez [R]
RF- Jarred Kelenic [L]
DH- **Free Agent/Trade**

BN-
BN- 2B/3B Josh Rojas
BN- **Free Agent/Trade**
BN- UT Dylan Moore

Bubble: 1B Ty France, IF Jose Caballero, OF Dom Canzone

Get Rid Of/AAA: 1B Mike Ford, OF Sam Haggerty

SP1- RHP Luis Castillo
SP2- RHP George Kirby
SP3- RHP Logan Gilbert
SP4- RHP Bryce Miller
SP5- **Free Agent/Trade**

RP- RHP Andres Munoz
RP- **Free Agent/Trade**
RP- RHP Matt Brash
RP- RHP Justin Topa
RP- **Free Agent/Trade**
RP- LHP Gabe Speier
RP- RHP Isaiah Campbell
RP-

Bubble: RHP Bryan Woo, RHP Emerson Hancock, LHP Tayler Saucedo, RHP Prelander Berroa

Get Rid Of/AAA: LHP Marco Gonzales, RHP Trent Thornton, RHP Dom Leone, RHP Eduard Bazardo

Thoughts on Bats:
-Give Teo the qualifying offer. If he accepts, fine. If he walks, fine. He is a fine stop-gap for 1 year, but I would not offer him an extension.
-I would happily take Tom Murphy back on a 1 or 2 year deal. I expect he will get a better opportunity elsewhere and walk. 
-I am fine with Rojas/Caballero at 2B if they add legit bats at 1B, DH, & COF. Otherwise Rojas should be on the bench and Caballero in AAA. 
-Canzone is fine off the bench, but could get pushed out if we add 2 OF. 
-Geno is fine at 3B for 1 more year even though he didn't hit in 2023. Add someone else who can either play 3B or 2B and give him less AB's though.
-I am fine with keeping 1 of Moore of Haggerty on the roster. Both on the roster and playing consistently is unacceptable. Moore has a decent contract, so I lean towards him. 
-No bats coming from the farm in early 2024. I am fine with a stop-gap at 2B to wait for Young/Bliss as they are close enough now. 

Thoughts on Pitching:
-I'm excited to get Robbie back. But won't count on him for the first half.
-Get rid of Marco. Like him but there is no place for him on this team.
-I am fine with keeping either Miller or Woo. Flip the other and get a bat.
-Grab a 5th start to eat innings and be better than Marco. 
-BP needs help. Don't need Hader or Hicks, but a reliable high leverage arm. 
-Move Hancock to the BP and have him compete with Berroa for a BP spot along with whoever else. Don't see him as a rotation piece. 

Pretty much agree with all of this. If this was 3 years ago I’d hate moving Hancock to the BP, but we don’t need him starting, and frankly I don’t think he is a starter, unfortunately. 

We really need to make a huge push for Ohtani, you slot him into this team and package a young controllable pitcher like Miller/Woo for a guy like Alonso if he’s available, you got a WS contender right there. This waiting around for randoms and failed prospects to hit isn’t working and I’m tired of it. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

@Eagles27 Idk if you saw AJ Pierzynski say on his pod that Cal was forced by someone from the Mariners to make an apology for saying we have to go out and get big names or not, but yeah, par for the course. I'm already preparing for massive disappointment this offseason...

I did see that yesterday but Divish seems to be shooting it down. Don't know AJ's source's (could be Cal) but I would lean Divish. Wouldn't be surprised either way based off Servais' comments after too. 

Jerry did do a better job in his radio piece today. (At least by saying the organization wants to add)

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/podcast_player/?a=692485ac-ab35-49b1-961e-6016596cd954&n=The+Jerry+Dipoto+Show&i=1685

In hindsight this gaffe may end up being a good thing. The organization has been getting crushed nationally in the media and may feel a PR need to make a move at the very least. I do expect them to make moves this year, I just hope they end up being the right ones. 

4 minutes ago, Eagles27 said:

I did see that yesterday but Divish seems to be shooting it down. Don't know AJ's source's (could be Cal) but I would lean Divish. Wouldn't be surprised either way based off Servais' comments after too. 

Jerry did do a better job in his radio piece today. (At least by saying the organization wants to add)

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/podcast_player/?a=692485ac-ab35-49b1-961e-6016596cd954&n=The+Jerry+Dipoto+Show&i=1685

In hindsight this gaffe may end up being a good thing. The organization has been getting crushed nationally in the media and may feel a PR need to make a move at the very least. I do expect them to make moves this year, I just hope they end up being the right ones. 

Yeah, you may be right about the negative media attention being a good thing. The bolded is the key, though. We don't need the Canzone's, Haggerty's, and Caballero's to make this team. We need far better.

23 hours ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Also, I finally read the entirety of Dipoto’s comments, and honestly, **** that dude. He’s doing us a favor by asking us to be patient? The gall to speak those words to Mariners fans. God damn, it boils my blood reading that horse****. 

@Mesa_Titan was this you?

https://awfulannouncing.com/radio/seattle-sports-talk-fans-mariners-problems.html

2 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

No, but I'd love to speak my mind on Brock and Salk. It's tough, because the analytics or "nerd" part is 100% needed to compete i baseball in this day and age, which Dipoto has down pat and I love him for that. The problem is, he is trying too hard to be moneyball and get something out of players that isn't there. You have to mix in the moneyball aspects with throwing actual money at the proven commodities. 

This isn't 2002 anymore.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Mesa_Titan said:

No qualifying offer for Teoscar? I don't get it.

Only thing I could guess is that they thought he would accept and cripple offseason spending. 

Lame if true. Shouldn't be concerned about a 1 year 20 million dollar contract.