🔥 Pick #170 is in: Christopher Smith II, S, Georgia

RaidersAreOne

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Dave Ziegler compared Chris Smith to Duron Harmon. I like that comparison. In his prime Harmon was glue and we saw a little of that last season. Smart, instinctive, knows how to locate the ball.

Safety is so much more about instincts than corner.  IMHO 4.6 is plenty of speed for safety if you're smart and position well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Safety is so much more about instincts than corner.  IMHO 4.6 is plenty of speed for safety if you're smart and position well.

Agree completely. Harmon is a good example. He's over 30, still played at a high level because of instincts. Raiders have had countless athletes at safety that have not panned out. I like Smith's high IQ field general qualities. 

• Like 3

On 5/3/2023 at 10:51 AM, jimkelly02 said:

I wouldn’t say I judge someone by the length of their highlights… but you ain’t wrong…. Lol.  When I see a highlight tape that’s 2-3 mins I immediately question why it’s not longer and think maybe he isn’t good… but i don’t leave that as my only evaluation obviously.

On another note…. You ever notice some highlights videos heavily stack the INTs, sacks, etc at very beginning of the video… and then the quality of the play dies off by the end?  A CB could have 3 career Ints in his freshman season and only 1 more INT in his senior year for the rest of his career and they’ll be the first 4 plays?  

I've seen that too.  Like an assist on a tackle by the player they're highlighting.  Or a sack on a play where the QB held onto the ball for 15 seconds and the highlighted player was getting stonewalled for 13 seconds straight and finally got lucky.  Cracks me up.

On 5/4/2023 at 11:23 AM, MrOaktown_56 said:

100% look at how good Woodson was at the end of his career and he played CB for 10+ years

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

100% look at how good Woodson was at the end of his career and he played CB for 10+ years

Woodson's one of the best to ever play.  Would be great if this kid had even 2/3 of Woodson's production.

24 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Woodson's one of the best to ever play.  Would be great if this kid had even 2/3 of Woodson's production.

I doubt he’ll ever be close to Woodson  but I was talking about as his speed declined he could move to safety with ease because of his instincts.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I doubt he’ll ever be close to Woodson  but I was talking about as his speed declined he could move to safety with ease because of his instincts.

Yeah.  Woodson was just next level all the way around.  His awareness in Madden should have been a 99 when he played safety.  Still remember the INT where he kills DJ Hayden.  Lol.

Edit: Charles Woodson ULTIMATE Ballhawk Career Highlights! | NFL Legends - YouTube

12:55 mark if anyone is wondering which play I'm referencing.  Man Woodson was good.  I wish he played his entire career as a Raider.

Edited by Jerry
  • Like 3