2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

8 hours ago, G08 said:

I can give you OG but not Brown.

So on the 2018 Bears, do I want an OG that averaged 7 sacks a season or Hall of Famer Steve Hutchinson?

Give me OG.

My benchmark for what I would find acceptable as far as sack production from a #8 overall pass rusher over time has been 2014-16 Willie Young (8 sacks/year). Over a 10-year career that’s 80 sacks which would as of today would put that player in the top 70 all time. Some comps for that rate of sack production over a 10-year period are Osi Umenyiora 2004-2013, Charles Mann 1983-1992, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila 2000-2008, Peter Boulware 1997-2005, Leonard Little 2000-2009, Joey Porter 2000-2009 and Tamba Hali 2006-2015. If you’re giving me that level of long term edge rush presence over the course of a decade that’s well worth a top 10 pick to me, and I think both Landry and Davenport are very well capable of that, and potentially quite a bit more if they max out. I personally nod toward Landry because he’s less of a projection IMO and has a penchant for strip-sacks (10 career FF) which only increase the value and game-changing potential of each one he gets, but think Davenport’s ceiling while less likely is a bit higher. I’m taking either over Nelson 100 times out of 100.

Even if Nelson is an all-time great guard the difference between he and the 90% as talented but equally plug-and-play OG we can get in round 2 in what is a really strong class for interior OL is functionally insignificant. What’s that difference worth, an extra 0.1 to 0.2 ypc on the ground over the course of a season’s worth of carries?  That’s about 3-6 yards per game, and a few additional pressures a year. That’s some serious small potatoes to me. The difference between the projections for NFL production for the first round pass rushers and those in subsequent rounds, on the other hand, is FAR greater. 

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

2 different media guys [Ledyard, Joe Marino] connecting the Bears and Mike McGlinchey at 8.

That would be a shocker and I would hate the value, but I will remain consistent that I do not complain about a GM building the OL.

That would completely suck. The good news is that I’ve honestly never heard of either of those two guys

Edited by beardown3231

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Clowney’s team is picking 4th because their QB missed 9 games and their 4x 1st team all pro/3x DPOY missed 11 games. Let’s not kid ourselves. 

Joe Thomas' teams were bad because they never had a QB and they had 8 HCs in his time and 5 GMs.

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Marino wins the mock accuracy thing every year.

Charlie Campbell won it last year. He got 9 picks right. 

When you said “connecting” I thought you meant they had a report that Pace liked McGlinchey or something. Researching and seeing that it’s just their mock draft, I feel better.

McGlinchey would be extremely underwhelming.

Edited by beardown3231

Pace isn't letting anything get out of his building so I'm not buying any of that.

What's the logic? Draft him to be a swing tackle? Draft him to play RT and cut Bobby Massie?

Reading Tremaine Edmunds' response to a beat writers question about how his visit went with the Bears, his "I'd rather not talk about anything along those lines if that's alright with you" response was kind of telling to me. Who knows.

36 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

DRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFT DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Ok sorry had to get that out. 

29 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5913194

Just saying a big guy dancing like that is automatically a priority free agent.

FINALLY!!! Thank God, I'm so sick of all you a-holes ;)xD

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Clowney’s team is picking 4th because their QB missed 9 games and their 4x 1st team all pro/3x DPOY missed 11 games. Let’s not kid ourselves. 

If we are going to cut Clowney some slack because of his QB situation then why can't we do the same for Joe Thomas in Cleveland all those years?  It works both ways.

28 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

2 different media guys [Ledyard, Joe Marino] connecting the Bears and Mike McGlinchey at 8.

That would be a shocker and I would hate the value, but I will remain consistent that I do not complain about a GM building the OL.

I wouldn’t like it but I’d get on board.

• Like 1