2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

1 minute ago, RunningVaccs said:

I totally understand that OG is pretty darn low in positional value, but I feel if a player is that transcendent it's worth paying for them.  No guarantees in the draft, but man does Nelson look about as close to certain superstar guard as is you can get.   

I hear the "haha" from Nelson as he does the teabag now.

56 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I feel like I'm talking myself into Davenport as the solution to a problem that I can live with, as opposed to being really excited.  My preference remains: Chubb>Nelson*>Trade down and draft D>Davenport>McGlinchley>Edmunds>some DB

We are just outside the elite (any QB who can walk and chew gum is 'elite' now per the draft) range except for perhaps Nelson whose positional value is not elite.

Trading down and getting one of the better projects sure looks like the best outcome for the Bears value-wise from our perspective. If they think Edmunds or Ward is the GUY then 8 is a great place to draft him.

The only way I see Nelson is if the Bears think none of the other players are valid first round talent and we can't trade down so he'd be a BPA type pick. It's kind of like that line out of "Jaws" where they are talking about the difference in perception in ocean hunters. Something like, "You say barracuda and everyone goes 'eh'. You say shark and everyone goes 'SHARK'".

Switch barracuda with OG and SHARK with pass rusher for this discussion.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I hear the "haha" from Nelson as he does the teabag now.

Except that was a 240 lbs OLB.

Here's a solid reason for why I don't want to draft a guard in the top 10, let alone the top 8:

Highest Paid Guards And When They Were Drafted:

Norwell - UDFA
Zeitler - 27th
Osemele - 60th
Turner - 92nd
Jackson - 81st
Long - 20th
DeCastro - 24th
Lang - 109th
Pugh - 19th
Leary - UDFA
Bitonio - 35th
Warford - 65th
Duvernay-Tardif - 200th
Brooks - 76th
Iupati - 17th
Yanda - 86th
Levitre - 51st
Winters - 72nd
Allen - 44th
Fulton - 193rd

24 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I totally understand that OG is pretty darn low in positional value, but I feel if a player is that transcendent it's worth paying for them.  No guarantees in the draft, but man does Nelson look about as close to certain superstar guard as is you can get.   

How much better do you think Nelson is tho compared to Billy Price, Frank Rangnow, or Will Hernandez.

Now how much better do you think Davenport is than Key, Turay, or Carter?

13 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

How much better do you think Nelson is tho compared to Billy Price, Frank Rangnow, or Will Hernandez.

Now how much better do you think Davenport is than Key, Turay, or Carter?

Bingo. If Nelson is a Hall of Fame guard at #8 and Billy Price is a solid starter at #39, give me the pick at #39.

Pass rushers are GOLD in the NFL.

@G08

I'm with you. But if we are dinging that play because it was a smaller guy who won't see the NFL then you alkso have to devalue most of Davenport's clips as he (prior to the Senior Bowl) faced little real competition.

I'm really  high on Nelson as a prospect but don't want to draft him at 8. I have been a fan of making tackles into guards, even if it isn't due to physical limitations. I would flip my **** if Connor Williams was there in the 2nd and try him at RT and OG.

In a perfect world I'd have college 5 LTs filling my line. If I were drafting myself, I bet I'd have 3 at minimum no matter what lineup was on the field.

Edited by Sugashane

3 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

@G08

I'm with you. But if we are dinging that play because it was a smaller guy who won't see the NFL then you alkso have to devalue most of Davenport's clips as he (prior to the Senior Bowl) faced little real competition.

I'm really  high on Nelson as a prospect but don't want to draft him at 8. I have been a fan of making tackles into guards, even if it isn't due to physical limitations. I would flip my **** if Connor Williams was there in the 2nd and try him at RT and OG.

In a perfect world I'd have college 5 LTs filling my line. If I were drafting myself, I bet I'd have 3 at minimum no matter what lineup was on the field.

I'm not devaluaing the play, honestly, because he literally choke-slammed the dude. I just didn't like that the original tweeter (first time I've ever said that word lol) described it as a LSU DL (which is an attempt to paint a picture of a 280-320 lbs behemoth) when in fact it was an OLB. I'm pretty sure most 330 lbs men (not even linemen) can chokeslam someone that weighs 90 lbs less than them.

Edited by G08

4 minutes ago, G08 said:

I'm not devaluaing the play, honestly, because he literally choke-slammed the dude. I just didn't like that the original tweeter (first time I've ever said that word lol) described it as a LSU DL (which is an attempt to paint a picture of a 280-320 lbs behemoth) when in fact it was an OLB. I'm pretty sure most 330 lbs men (not even linemen) can chokeslam someone that weighs 90 lbs less than them.

Fair enough. I usually have music playing or something on YouTube I just want to hear, so IDK if I ever really listened to it. The weight differential is still a factor so no argument there.

As for the tweeter, when I hear that I think of Tweeder.

tumblr_nz21e1qHnh1swbxeko1_400.gif

2 hours ago, G08 said:

Except that was a 240 lbs OLB.

Here's a solid reason for why I don't want to draft a guard in the top 10, let alone the top 8:

Highest Paid Guards And When They Were Drafted:

Norwell - UDFA
Zeitler - 27th
Osemele - 60th
Turner - 92nd
Jackson - 81st
Long - 20th
DeCastro - 24th
Lang - 109th
Pugh - 19th
Leary - UDFA
Bitonio - 35th
Warford - 65th
Duvernay-Tardif - 200th
Brooks - 76th
Iupati - 17th
Yanda - 86th
Levitre - 51st
Winters - 72nd
Allen - 44th
Fulton - 193rd

These statistics mean nothing 

2 minutes ago, Tyty said:

These statistics mean nothing 

I agree.  Just because historically that is the case, does not mean it doesn't make sense to draft one early if the prospect is right.  Also, that list is curiously missing Zack Martin, simply because he's still on his rookie deal and he was picked at 16 overall, but if you are telling me a team wouldn't take Zack Martin at 8 knowing what we know now, you'd be crazy.  

3 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

I agree.  Just because historically that is the case, does not mean it doesn't make sense to draft one early if the prospect is right.  Also, that list is curiously missing Zack Martin, simply because he's still on his rookie deal and he was picked at 16 overall, but if you are telling me a team wouldn't take Zack Martin at 8 knowing what we know now, you'd be crazy.  

Yeah some of these logical fallacies are funny. Like someone the other day said Barkley won't ever amount to anything because Penn state backs never do, just look at Curtis Ennis. Had me lol'ing and whatnot