2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Exactly, it's changed the game. It's not the only thing, and neither is the money. 

The transfer portal and the waivers being granted by the NCAA is creating a whole new dynamic that is going to be a rude awakening in the NFL, where teams aren't going to keep signing mega deals for guys who decide they wanna play LeBron James, Chris Bosch, and Dwayne Wade and force trades (aka: transfers as the college level). Universities aren't sports franchises and aren't going to worry about it. The NFL will. 

Say the Bears hold the pick whether 2023 or 2024 and Williams is selected. Now what? He can't just call his buddies to sign up for the Bears. If he wants out, Chicago has to agree to it, and have little incentive to do so. 

But that's not particularly relevant here, as I've said before it's not Caleb being a potential diva that concerns me. It's exactly what you said that does: "guys are making tons of money in college so theyre not forced to chase the NFL bag". If their main motive is money, it's not ball, it's money, and we've seen guys chase bags and burn out hard left and right. 

Caleb comes to Las Vegas and gets all the endorsements. Then what? Rest on his laurels? Decide he doesn't need to be great in the NFL because he has endorsements out the wazoo? Gets lazy while other guys stay hungry and passionate and he just never hits that next gear? Decide losing doesn't suit him and affects his brand too much so he quits or forces a trade a'la transfer dream team style?

Don't tell me it won't happen, because I'm m not saying it will. There's no telling how exactly it would go, but it remains an X factor people should be willing to consider when discussing a draft pick.

Every single 1st round bust was once a superstar prospect whose teammates and coaches loved him and talked about him eating, sleeping, and breathing football above all else. Empty words and platitudes, just like Josh McDaniels' press conferences. And very rarely was it an athletic profile issue that derailed someone all the way to bust status. It was passion for the game, or rather a lack thereof when the heat got real. 

Guys who view the NFL as a mechanism to get rich quick have a hard time panning out, and I don't trust that Caleb Williams views it otherwise. 

FWIW.... Williams said his goal is 8 rings because Brady has seven. He seems to be all about the sport. He seems very humble and down to earth. By all accounts works hard at his game. 

We will see if anything comes out otherwise as he's pulled apart pre-draft.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Exactly, it's changed the game. It's not the only thing, and neither is the money. 

The transfer portal and the waivers being granted by the NCAA is creating a whole new dynamic that is going to be a rude awakening in the NFL, where teams aren't going to keep signing mega deals for guys who decide they wanna play LeBron James, Chris Bosch, and Dwayne Wade and force trades (aka: transfers as the college level). Universities aren't sports franchises and aren't going to worry about it. The NFL will. 

Say the Bears hold the pick whether 2023 or 2024 and Williams is selected. Now what? He can't just call his buddies to sign up for the Bears. If he wants out, Chicago has to agree to it, and have little incentive to do so. 

But that's not particularly relevant here, as I've said before it's not Caleb being a potential diva that concerns me. It's exactly what you said that does: "guys are making tons of money in college so theyre not forced to chase the NFL bag". If their main motive is money, it's not ball, it's money, and we've seen guys chase bags and burn out hard left and right. 

Caleb comes to Las Vegas and gets all the endorsements. Then what? Rest on his laurels? Decide he doesn't need to be great in the NFL because he has endorsements out the wazoo? Gets lazy while other guys stay hungry and passionate and he just never hits that next gear? Decide losing doesn't suit him and affects his brand too much so he quits or forces a trade a'la transfer dream team style?

Don't tell me it won't happen, because I'm m not saying it will. There's no telling how exactly it would go, but it remains an X factor people should be willing to consider when discussing a draft pick.

Every single 1st round bust was once a superstar prospect whose teammates and coaches loved him and talked about him eating, sleeping, and breathing football above all else. Empty words and platitudes, just like Josh McDaniels' press conferences. And very rarely was it an athletic profile issue that derailed someone all the way to bust status. It was passion for the game, or rather a lack thereof when the heat got real. 

Guys who view the NFL as a mechanism to get rich quick have a hard time panning out, and I don't trust that Caleb Williams views it otherwise. 

I think teams have now a better opportunity aswell to see if a guy is chasing rings or bags of money.

When you were not allowed to earn money in college, people will tell you what you want to hear at any time during the draft process just to earn that bag of money.

• Like 2

That’s a good point above, the “ lip service” typical answers that were always there. CW is a great qb, and I refuse to over examine. I get Ron Jon’s reservations fwiw. But over examining is why Herbert fell to the chargers, it’s why CJ was the 2nd QB taken. Both were very good prospects that got over examined/over scrutinized etc. seems like at least one first rnd guy has that happpen to him every year. Houston never hesitated, and they’re reaping that benefit. Same will happen with Maye or Penix or Ewers etc. still tons of college ball to be played, we’ll see how it goes. Any are AT THIS POINT (key phrase) a huge upgrade from what we have. And no I’m not slamming AOC, but right off the bat, ALL are vastly more mobile.....lol!! 👍🍻

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

Let’s put it this way, if the draft was right after the college season ended, would young still be the first pick? Maybe, but I doubt it. Just imo strictly. 

I never understood Young going 1 overall. Nor did I understand the Panthers going all in to trade up and get him. He has some skill, but I just can't get around that size. I've seen guys sack/tackle him with no effort at all. Literally brush against him and he looses balance.

1 hour ago, Devilshark69 said:

It’s an issue, I definitely didn’t want him (or Murray fwiw) 

Murray at least had some size to him. Running back like build. Young looks like an 8th grader out there. 

Personally, I miss the "QB must go down and he must go down hard" days of football. 50% of the QBs playing right now wouldn't have lasted in the era where they could be hit. It's embarassing watching guys pull up on sacks simply to avoid penalties. QBs can play with little fear. And don't get me started on WR. Guys can casually go over the middle now vs. the Ed Reed years where doing so would get you punished. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

so we don't have Jones on the books for 2024. Raiders project cap space is 68m now. guys we can cut to add space 

• Jimmy - 17m  (11m in dead cap)
  • Renfrow- 13.7m 
  • BrandonF- 3.6m
  • Spillane - 4.3m
  • Tillery- 4.1m 

we will have over 110m to revamp the roster. 

I'd move on from them all 100%, Renfrow included.

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I'd move on from them all 100%, Renfrow included.

Meyers and Hunter are redundant, should be using money on OL and defense. That's why I don't believe in DaveZ, horrible imbalance use of cap. I would like to keep Tae but I understand if he wants to play on a contender. That would be another 25m

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

They've massacred my boy, but he's not worth the $ and it sucks. I'd trade him now for a 4th/5th and call it a day. At least let tucker grow as a player.

Yup, at one point in time he looked like one of the better pure slot guys in the league. Mismanagement, injuries and mental lapses seemingly have killed any momentum, value or production for him.

Meyers is better anyways.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

They've massacred my boy, but he's not worth the $ and it sucks. I'd trade him now for a 4th/5th and call it a day. At least let tucker grow as a player.

5 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If we lose the next 3-4 I can see McDaniels fired and then we are sellers at the deadline 

jacobs for 2 or 3

Tae for a 1 and 3rd 

Renfrow for a mid rounder would be amazing 

12 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Agreed. Someone is gonna get a pro bowl level WR for Pennies on the dollar. We would have been better off trading him last season after acquiring DA, when his value was higher. 

I heard Carolina is looking for a weapons for Young, maybe get something from them 

• Like 1