2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

2 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

McCarthy is gaining steam it appears, I wouldnt be shocked if he went before Maye, who isn't a perfect prospect by any means even though hes the least maligned out of the big 4. 

Meh. I'm not going to buy into the post combine hype. There were people across the internet including a few on here that told me Drake Maye was a better prospect than Caleb Williams throughout the season, crazy to see how the perception about him has shifted. 

I think the biggest thing with McCarthy is he's really the only guy we've seen perform recently. Dating back to the CFB playoffs and as the only top prospect to workout at the combine. 

The consensus throughout all of last year was that Young/Stroud were going to be the top 2 picks. Then we heard the Richardson hype after the combine and Levis had his late hype as well, he had the best odds to be taken #2 like 4 days before the draft. None of that mattered in the end and the two guys everyone expected to go 1/2 eventually did, I think it'll happen again this year. 

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Can somebody explain to me why JJ McCarthy is better than Michael Penix?

4 years younger, experience in a pro style system, clean bill of health, and more perceived upside.

44 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

4 years younger, experience in a pro style system, clean bill of health, and more perceived upside.

This. It isn’t even about how well they played in college. A lot of other factors come into play. 

9 minutes ago, Jerry said:

This. It isn’t even about how well they played in college. A lot of other factors come into play. 

NFL draft is all about projection which is why guys like Maye / McCarthy that didn't put up gaudy numbers are considered better prospect than guys like Nix / Penix who were two of the most productive passers in CFB.

And I think it's pretty safe to assume that JJ or Maye would absolutely dominate if they were 3-4 years older.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

NFL draft is all about projection which is why guys like Maye / McCarthy that didn't put up gaudy numbers are considered better prospect than guys like Nix / Penix who were two of the most productive passers in CFB.

And I think it's pretty safe to assume that JJ or Maye would absolutely dominate if they were 3-4 years older.

Exactly this. You're not drafting a guy for what he did in college or who he is. You're drafting for what you think he can be as a pro. People seem to loose sight of that. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Their performance numbers are in lockstep with Penix enjoying a slight edge in almost every category...but is Michael's injury history worth the gamble? 

We invoke those famous cretics:  "Do you feel lucky, punk?"

Except their numbers are not close. That's what made me ask the question in the first place 

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

So like stuff that doesn't have to do with talent or actual play..

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Exactly this. You're not drafting a guy for what he did in college or who he is. You're drafting for what you think he can be as a pro. People seem to loose sight of that. 

I agree but the Jamarcus Russell experience changed people and their perspective. I think it’s made some here gunshy on taking a guy who is mostly potential. 

12 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

I agree but the Jamarcus Russell experience changed people and their perspective. I think it’s made some here gunshy on taking a guy who is mostly potential. 

JJ doesn't have elite traits tho. I could see is he was built like Anthony Richardson 

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

But the excuse train for JJ told me he was bad in a couple of games b/c he had a slight injury.........

Interesting.....

27 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

But the excuse train for JJ told me he was bad in a couple of games b/c he had a slight injury.........

Interesting.....

I'm pretty sure Penix had three season ending injuries in college.

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

So like stuff that doesn't have to do with talent or actual play..

The NFL draft is about projection

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

Except their numbers are not close. That's what made me ask the question in the first place 

Based on that logic the player that leads the country in yards / TD should be the best QB prospect in the draft every year. Penix's numbers were inflated because of Washington's wide open, gimmicky system and a good chunk of his stats came in the first 4 weeks against bad tams when he was stat padding. He had 16 TD in their first 4 games and 20 over their last 11.

31 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

Doesn’t Penix rank near the bottom when under pressure? Or am I making that up? 

Yeah he can't really make a ton of plays outside of structure and crumbles under pressure. 

• Like 1

Trades

#13 / #77 / 2025 2nd to Tennessee for #7

#44 to LA Rams for #52 / #100

Draft

7. JJ McCarthy | QB | Michigan

52. T'Vondre Sweat | NT | Texas

100. Dominick Puni | OG | Kansas

113. Cam Hart | CB | Notre Dame

147. Javon Solomon | Edge | Troy

210. Mason McCormick | OL | North Dakota State

221. A.J. Barner | TE | Michigan