2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

I think it is a near lock that Champ Kelly will be the GM. Highly regarded around the NFL, could land a GM job anyway

We have to retain Patrick Graham. This is the best defense we had in almost 20 years. Can’t let him out the door. Honestly, I think AP biggest competition might be PG for head coach.

Remember, every great coach has to coach their 1st game. Every great OC has to call their 1st game. 

Also, AOC4 is in the drivers seat to open 2024 as the starter

Edited by bucksavage1
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He had to cut an $85M check to move off of JMD/DZ while it was free to move off of Rich. 

yup basically, and JMD got that contract because we were willing to pay the most for the overhyped next great HC. 

There is something to be said about growing your own talent, vs over paying for inexperience. 
JMDs only HC experience was bad, and we gave him 60 mil, where as if we hired rich and he stunk it up it wouldve cost us 10 mil over 2 years MAX

grow your own talent! on the field, and the coaching staff. Paying people before youve seen how they work is a recipe for disaster .

We alway go for big fancy hire, and get tied into the people with money for mult seasons, which holds us back when we realize we were wrong. 

Edited by BackinBlack

39 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

I think it is a near lock that Champ Kelly will be the GM. Highly regarded around the NFL, could land a GM job anyway

We have to retain Patrick Graham. This is the best defense we had in almost 20 years. Can’t let him out the door. Honestly, I think AP biggest competition might be PG for head coach.

Remember, every great coach has to coach their 1st game. Every great OC has to call their 1st game. 

Also, AOC4 is in the drivers seat to open 2024 as the starter

What exactly is Champ Kelly highly regarded for? Is it because he’s likeable? Because it definitely isn’t from the results of the previous regimes that he’s worked within. Feels like Mark is about to get fleeced again. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

This great defense gave up 30 to an UDFA D2 QB making his first start, lol. We've played a pretty soft schedule so far this year: Russell, Allen, Pickett, Herbert, Love, Mac, Bagnet, Goff, and Wilson. Only three of those dudes are considered legit NFL QBs and we gave up 38, 30, and 26 in those three games.

I wouldn't hold onto him for beating up on a third string rookie QB playing on one of the worst offenses in the league like we did last week.

On the year we're still slightly below average defensively despite playing very little talent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BackinBlack said:

yup basically, and JMD got that contract because we were willing to pay the most for the overhyped next great HC. 

There is something to be said about growing your own talent, vs over paying for inexperience. 
JMDs only HC experience was bad, and we gave him 60 mil, where as if we hired rich and he stunk it up it wouldve cost us 10 mil over 2 years MAX

grow your own talent! on the field, and the coaching staff. Paying people before youve seen how they work is a recipe for disaster .

We alway go for big fancy hire, and get tied into the people with money for mult seasons, which holds us back when we realize we were wrong. 

The majority of the top NFL HC's in the league were young hot shot OC's that got hired away from under good offensive coaches, not retreads. Hopefully we follow that recipe and go after Smith or BJ.

3 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

one could argue, Bisaccia responded to getting punched in the face by going 4-0 to make the playoffs no?

since when do we talk about the end of slaughtering as how someone responds? If we had put up 21 points, wed be shouting who cares it was garbage time. 

you dont respond to a blow out, by scoring a meaningless TD at the end. You respond to a blow out, by going and beating the crap out the next team you play. (which we didnt do, but we got the W)

One could. Then one could realize they beat Nick Mullins, Drew Lock, Carson Wentz one day off the covid list and an always underachieving Chargers team.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

I wish mark davis took your approach and fired JMD when he kicked a FG down 21 on KC last year! 

I question why its a deal breaker for Rich, but not for JMD in your opinion? 

Rich was an interim. JMD wasn't going to be fired regardless so not worth the time discussing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jpaulthe1st said:

What exactly is Champ Kelly highly regarded for? Is it because he’s likeable? Because it definitely isn’t from the results of the previous regimes that he’s worked within. Feels like Mark is about to get fleeced again. 

I don't understand what he’s donenthat is so great. His track record isn't good, much less great. 

Fwiw, Zeigler seemed likeable enough other than being tied at the hip to McDaniels. Mayock was likeable too, by most accounts outside of Antonio Brown's. 

It takes more than that time he a good GM- and it's that part of his resume that is lacking severely. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I don't understand what he’s donenthat is so great. His track record isn't good, much less great. 

Fwiw, Zeigler seemed likeable enough other than being tied at the hip to McDaniels. Mayock was likeable too, by most accounts outside of Antonio Brown's. 

It takes more than that time he a good GM- and it's that part of his resume that is lacking severely. 

Mayock and Ziegler both seemed to be in way over their head. 

3 hours ago, jpaulthe1st said:

He was never in charge of the regimes he was previously. Tough to pin that on him. But that shouldn’t dictate whether someone is qualified or not. DZ came from New England and look how that turned out. John Lynch came out of the broadcasting booth.

What do I know? When reporters like Shefter and more report he’s talked around league circles as a future GM. There’s something there that us fans can’t see

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

One could. Then one could realize they beat Nick Mullins, Drew Lock, Carson Wentz one day off the covid list and an always underachieving Chargers team.

Fair enough, but he couldn’t control the schedule. Winning 4 straight in the nfl is tough. He then was 1 play away against the bengals who went to the Super Bowl, all this with a qb most hated and bad/ depleted roster. 

im not worried RB is gone, I’m just worried who we replaced him with. And are we now going to do the same?

we keep swinging for the big names, and it requires massive contracts with massive money, and a huge amount of power in terms of the roster. Yes it’s not part of the salary cap, and not my money, but it’s clearly not working. 

if AP gets us to the playoffs, I’d much rather sign him to a 2 year 8 mil contract, then sign someone who’d demand 10mil a year, 5 years, and roster control. 

we keep doing that, and it keeps failing. 
let’s make a coach earn a big contract before just giving it to him. 

• Like 1

I also just find it funny, how raider fans, downplay winning 4 in a row against bad teams, when every fricken year we make bad teams look like Super Bowl contenders against us. 
bears, rams with baker on 2 days, jets with darnold a few years back spanked us. Etc etc 

we are also a bad team. lol, when teams win against us, fans say well who cares it’s a bad raider team. 

we become legit year after year playoff contenders and more, then sure we can start getting picky, but for now, a 4 game win streak sounds pretty dang nice, regardless who it’s against. 

• Like 1