2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

8 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

We don’t have to trade to 1. Cause whoever drafts Caleb is probably disappointed anyways. But we need to trade into the Top 5 and we’ll probably be picking around 13 at the rate this season is going. 

Yeah which is fine, but just point blank you can’t say it’s always worth it. 
especially for a bad team like Carolina that knew they’d struggle this year too. 

At least currently we have a decent roster, and I doubt we’d be trading away a top 3 pick the following year. 
im all for waiting to see if someone falls and then moving up it’s a qb we like. 
I don’t want to force it though.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

We don’t have to trade to 1. Cause whoever drafts Caleb is probably disappointed anyways. But we need to trade into the Top 5 and we’ll probably be picking around 13 at the rate this season is going. 

Over the last decade teams that have traded up for a QB:

2011 - Jaguars (Blake Bortles / #10)

2012 - Redskins (RG3 / #2)

2016 - Rams (Goff / #1) / Eagles (Wentz / #2)

2017 - Bears (Trubisky / #3) / Chiefs (Mahomes / #10) / Texans (Watson / #12)

2018 - Jets (Darnold / #3) / Bills (Allen/#7) / Cardinals (Rosen / #10) 

2021 - 49ers (Lance / #3) / Bears (Fields / #11)

2023 - Panthers (Young / #1)

-------

Outside of Mahomes/Allen do you think any of those teams are happy that they traded up / it worked out for them?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Yeah which is fine, but just point blank you can’t say it’s always worth it. 
especially for a bad team like Carolina that knew they’d struggle this year too. 

At least currently we have a decent roster, and I doubt we’d be trading away a top 3 pick the following year. 
im all for waiting to see if someone falls and then moving up it’s a qb we like. 
I don’t want to force it though.

You can’t have that mentality of “you never know”. Gamblers win in this league, you have to be aggressive. No risk no reward. All or nothing. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

You can’t have that mentality of “you never know”. Gamblers win in this league, you have to be aggressive. No risk no reward. All or nothing. 

I get it, but it has to be calculated risks. I feel like Carolina had said they are doing whatever it takes to get to #1, could they’ve kept DJ Moore or potentially their first, and traded a second instead to move to #2?

im all for risk, but, at the right time. If we pick 13, and to get into the top 5 costs me Maxx I’m not doing it. 

18 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’d throw Quinn Ewers in the 2nd round and say Penix is more likely to be a 1st rounder IMO but could go Round 2.

I think round 2 is where we find our QBotF

Too many teams need QB's so I think 5 go in the 1st round.

I like Maye's size over Williams and would rather give up less moving to 2nd 3rd pick than what it would take to get #1. 

Ewers? Count me out on him. I'm not sure what he's shown to be anywhere in the day 1/2 conversation. Big name and a big arm but other than that? Not for me. 

If it's not Maye/Williams in round 1 I'd much rather wait until round 2-3 and take the best value out of JJ/Daniels/Penix. Not a big Nix guy but my Oregon hate definitely gets in the way of that. Dream scenario would be Daniels/Penix in round 3 and then go into '24 with AOC and rookie battling it out for the #1 job. 

Worth noting:

In the five drafts from 2018 to 2022, 15 quarterbacks were picked in the top 15. As of this morning, eight have either failed or been average or worse: Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Justin Fields, Mac Jones, Dwayne Haskins, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen. The jury’s out on two more, Daniel Jones and Kyler Murray. Only five—Burrow, Herbert, Tagovailoa, Allen, Lawrence—are solid starters or better.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Desperate teams usually get hosed. Got to pick your spots. Cant just give up everything to take a QB for the sake of taking one. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

I get it, but it has to be calculated risks. I feel like Carolina had said they are doing whatever it takes to get to #1, could they’ve kept DJ Moore or potentially their first, and traded a second instead to move to #2?

im all for risk, but, at the right time. If we pick 13, and to get into the top 5 costs me Maxx I’m not doing it. 

DJ Moore is so overrated. Boom/bust WR that disappears from entire games often. As for draft picks, their just draft picks.