2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

1 minute ago, Tank4Drake said:

DJ Moore is so overrated. Boom/bust WR that disappears from entire games often. As for draft picks, their just draft picks. 

The teams that best use their draft picks are the most talented teams in the game. Eagles, Chiefs, Ravens, 49ers, etc. 

"there just draft picks" doesn't really apply to a team who misses on 85% of theirs and has holes all over the roster. 

• Like 3

Just now, big_palooka said:

The teams that best use their draft picks are the most talented teams in the game. Eagles, Chiefs, Ravens, 49ers, etc. 

"there just draft picks" doesn't really apply to a team who misses on 85% of theirs and has holes all over the roster. 

Yes, but when it comes to getting your QB’s, it just doesn’t matter. A true franchise QB is worth double digit first round picks. They are a cheat code. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

DJ Moore is so overrated. Boom/bust WR that disappears from entire games often. As for draft picks, they’re just draft picks. 

Or is he similar to mcclauren where qb play has held his career back? Think that is at least a fair argument for DJ Moore. Put him on KC and all of a sudden people think he’s top 10 guaranteed. 

yes they are just draft picks, but, best teams build through the draft. So you’re trading away your best picks for 2 years or so, when you have a cheap qb deal. 

I just believe you need to have your long term gm / coach in place before going all in, because if not, new coach or gm will come in and ask for their guy at qb. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Especially the Ravens draft amazingly.
Last year they got away with Hamilton and Linderbaum. Both were seen as the Nr.1 prospect at their position.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

Yes, but when it comes to getting your QB’s, it just doesn’t matter. A true franchise QB is worth double digit first round picks. They are a cheat code. 

Sure, but the draft is still a gamble. The hit rate is ~33% from 2018-2022 on QBs taken in round 1.

~77% chance of missing on your franchise QB. Now, if you are the 49ers (Lance) and you're stacked with talent and draft capital, those picks you sacrificed are not as detrimental. If you're the Raiders, you miss it can have a rippling effect on your roster. 

Point is, you have to be 100% convinced. You can't take a swing just to take a swing. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, G said:

Too many teams need QB's so I think 5 go in the 1st round.

I like Maye's size over Williams and would rather give up less moving to 2nd 3rd pick than what it would take to get #1. 

We always say this and it never happens. Teams have never been less likely to reach for a QB in the first round. QBs routinely go lower than where they are projected pre-draft (especially those projected to go mid-late first). Williams and Maye are locked in top-3 picks, but I would bet on only one other QB going in the first round.

Outside of a trade-up for Williams or Maye, I wouldn't hate the Raiders taking Jayden Daniels in the top 15. Of the projected second-round guys, I like Nix the most.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

We always say this and it never happens. Teams have never been less likely to reach for a QB in the first round. QBs routinely go lower than where they are projected pre-draft (especially those projected to go mid-late first). Williams and Maye are locked in top-3 picks, but I would bet on only one other QB going in the first round.

Outside of a trade-up for Williams or Maye, I wouldn't hate the Raiders taking Jayden Daniels in the top 15. Of the projected second-round guys, I like Nix the most.

I tend to agree, but I don't remember a time when this many teams needed a QB.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

DJ Moore is so overrated. Boom/bust WR that disappears from entire games often. As for draft picks, their just draft picks. 

The Panthers essentially traded:

DJ Moore, Darnell Wright, Tyrique Stevenson, Caleb Williams, and a second round pick for Bryce Young.

Moore is a stud but has suffered from horrendous QB play throughout his career, almost every elite WR is pretty boom or bust. He's on pace for like 1,400 yards/9 TD this year despite playing with Fields and Bagnet, he'll be CW's best friend.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, big_palooka said:

It's just DJ Moore, a franchise OT, a starting CB, the chance to draft Maye/Williams, and a future 2nd, it's fine!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, big_palooka said:

San Fran just obliterates the competition by racking up like 8 3rd rounders per year, too. 

I'm jealous of them for that. Rack up enough picks and eventually you'll have a bunch of good, solid players. Seems like they've been doing that for a few years now, and it looks to be paying off. 

On 11/13/2023 at 7:30 PM, Tank4Drake said:

Double digits first round picks? What?!? 
Your ridiculous and I don’t think that idea merits further response.

11 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

San Fran just obliterates the competition by racking up like 8 3rd rounders per year, too. 

I'm jealous of them for that. Rack up enough picks and eventually you'll have a bunch of good, solid players. Seems like they've been doing that for a few years now, and it looks to be paying off. 

As we’ve both said numerous times in the past, we gotta draft better.  But part of drafting well isn’t just who you select but also using the draft capital frugally.  We’ve constantly reached for a player and didn’t trade down first or take them a round later.  Example, we could have traded down or waited til our next pick and taken Tre Tucker.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

As we’ve both said numerous times in the past, we gotta draft better.  But part of drafting well isn’t just who you select but also using the draft capital frugally.  We’ve constantly reached for a player and didn’t trade down first or take them a round later.  Example, we could have traded down or waited til our next pick and taken Tre Tucker.  

Those things are always easier said than done.
FWIW Mayock said he tried to both trade up for Bosa or Williams and down. Couldn't find a trade partner.

• Like 1