2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

What would you give up for Justin Fields?

A 5th. 

He hasn't been good and we've seen guys moved for less than showed more promise than he has. 

It's also clear Chicago is probably just going to move on ASAP. Why give up anything for him? Let him hit FA. 

Nobody in the AFCW is going to trade for him. If he pans out for someone else jumping ahead of us, cool. But the likelihood of that is near zero really. He was polarizing coming out because of his lack of ability as a passer. That hasn't really improved at all.  

My issue with Fields is that now he IS a proven commodity, and as such, he's nearly worthless to a team. A 4th or better, I'd rather take a shot on a total unknown with a rookie. Fields' play to date really isn't much better than man a day 3 QB thrust into playing time....and he's been in the league a while now. 

3 hours ago, RaidersForever said:

I was never fully on the Caleb Williams hype train, just because his attitude last year struck me as incredibly arrogant and self-absorbed. I was willing to believe it this year (and surprisingly enough, I actually feel he's come back down to earth in a good way this season).....and then the Notre Dame game happened. The first game this season where he played a good defense, he absolutely s**t the bed. The Notre defense didn't buy into the hype and proceeded to straight-up punch the USC offense in the mouth over and over again. Unlike subsequent games afterwards, it wasn't as if USC's defense couldn't get the job done -- that loss was squarely on Williams and the offense getting pushed around all game (Notre Dame's offense didn't even look too great that night). Anyone scouting Williams for the future needs to start with that game.

Yes and they should start with Maye against Clemson or any decent team in his evaluation because he looks like Bortles when the pressure starts coming.

3 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

I think Fields would be a good trade if you can bring in a OC who will play the offense around him and not force him to be something that he is not. When he plays well it’s because he has those design runs mixed in. 

I'd probably give up a third for him but it's difficult to get behind the idea of trading for a QB who's main weakness is throwing a football.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

If Pierce stays on, Jayden Daniels is a strong possibility. Pierce is really close to him. Pierce was the recruiting coordinator at Arizona State when Daniels was a hot prospect in the preps. 

Daniels wouldn't be a bad pick, imo. 

I wouldn't take him top 10-+5 though. If Daniels/Penix/Nix/Pratt is "your guy", aim to move up in the 2nd or late 1st, and use our original 1st rounder on a stud defender. 

The sheer number of QBs this year means at least one of those guys will be available late 1st-2nd or maybe even 3rd depending on things (age, injury history, etc). 

Williams, Maye, McCarthy are likely gone by the time we'd be able to move up if needed from our 2nd pick. Cross 2 more off, you're still looking at choosing 1 of 3 guys whose om-field play warrants 1st round consideration. And that doesn't even begin to account for guys bound to rise once the bowls end and workouts begin. Someone is going to rise, someone is going to fall, and so.eone is going to come out of nowhere with a bunch of hoopla. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Daniels wouldn't be a bad pick, imo. 

I wouldn't take him top 10-+5 though. If Daniels/Penix/Nix/Pratt is "your guy", aim to move up in the 2nd or late 1st, and use our original 1st rounder on a stud defender. 

The sheer number of QBs this year means at least one of those guys will be available late 1st-2nd or maybe even 3rd depending on things (age, injury history, etc). 

Williams, Maye, McCarthy are likely gone by the time we'd be able to move up if needed from our 2nd pick. Cross 2 more off, you're still looking at choosing 1 of 3 guys whose om-field play warrants 1st round consideration. And that doesn't even begin to account for guys bound to rise once the bowls end and workouts begin. Someone is going to rise, someone is going to fall, and so.eone is going to come out of nowhere with a bunch of hoopla. 

I was about to post exactly this. 

However  I disagree that one of these guys will be available late first.  There is an unprecedented number of teams that are in dire need of a franchise QB this year. I'm of the opinion we could see 5-6 guys go by pick 20.  If they have good combines, I'd guarantee it. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NickButera said:

I was about to post exactly this. 

However  I disagree that one of these guys will be available late first.  There is an unprecedented number of teams that are in dire need of a franchise QB this year. I'm of the opinion we could see 5-6 guys go by pick 20.  If they have good combines, I'd guarantee it. 

Not unrealistic at all, either. 

I've seen at least 7 or 8 names floating around. Post combine could be more or less. 

Honestly, our best bet may be a trade backwards in the 1st, depending on who we like and who is available. 

Who you have going QB? 

I've got:

Chicago, Minnesota, Arizona, Seattle, LAR, Washington, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, New England, Las Vegas as the prime suspects right now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Not unrealistic at all, either. 

I've seen at least 7 or 8 names floating around. Post combine could be more or less. 

Honestly, our best bet may be a trade backwards in the 1st, depending on who we like and who is available. 

Who you have going QB? 

I've got:

Chicago, Minnesota, Arizona, Seattle, LAR, Washington, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, New England, Las Vegas as the prime suspects right now. 

Yup, add the NYG and to that list for sure, I'd add Pittsburg to the list too IMO.  I'm not convinced GB will stick with Love if they are handed a highly inside ranked QB that fell to them too. Wilson is playing himself into a roster spot next year, I had Denver on the list earlier but he's playing much better. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Seems like there are 6 QB's with a legitimate chance to be a FRP: Williams, Maye, McCarthy, Nix, Daniels, and Penix. 

I think we have draft a QB in the first and also add a one year vet. A couple names to keep and eye on 

• Sam Darnold 
  • Joshua Dobbs 
  • Jameis Winston 
  • Gardner Minshew 
  • Tyler Huntley 

13 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Seems like there are 6 QB's with a legitimate chance to be a FRP: Williams, Maye, McCarthy, Nix, Daniels, and Penix. 

Huge couple of weeks for them.

We need to do whatever it takes to get the best QB we can. These weapons are phenomenal. A good QB can unlock Mayer and Tucker too. I'm ready for 30 points a game.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I think we have draft a QB in the first and also add a one year vet. A couple names to keep and eye on 

• Sam Darnold 
  • Joshua Dobbs 
  • Jameis Winston 
  • Gardner Minshew 
  • Tyler Huntley 

Man, it really depends on what our offensive vision is next year and beyond. 

I mean, yes, we need to get QBs. But "who" is totally up in the air. Even if we keep Bo as OC, no telling what his vision is at this point. Way too early. 

At this point I’m leaning towards the keep AP convo and let him get a real OC.. if he wants to bring in OL and QB coach of his own choice, I’m sure as an ex player, he’s got to know some guys.. If AP is the choice, which I think there’s a shot unless we fall flat on our faces the next 6 weeks, gimme Jayden Daniels, even if we need to trade up a few spots. I’d like to see the kid add 15-20 pounds to his frame but he may be the off schedule dual threat kind of guy we need to battle the KC’s and the like. The ASU connection and talent make it a match. I think his abilities open up the entire offense and will be very fun to watch. 

Yes we played 2 bad offenses prior to Miami, but we did what we needed to do against NYG, played a much better defense and a solid offense held back by Z. Wilson and still beat them with our improving defense and 4th round rookie QB with a limited skill set. We should have beat Miami but our rookie QB held us back unfortunately. Point is, the trajectory looks good. We need a better QB (draft), a CB upgrade on Peters (FA), and a pass rushing DT (FA).. Parham to C, get a guard mid round and one in FA..  

Edited by JarrodR86
  • Like 1