2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

9 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Let's say we lose out and land pick 7.  We will clearly be out of position to draft the top 2 QB's.  What do you guys think the best mode of action will be for the franchise?  Anyone with eyes can see the roster is amongst the worst in the NFL as we have very little young talent that is above average.  

-Do we stay at 7 and take BPA which could very well be CB or 3T?  

-Do we attempt to trade up to 2 and take Williams or Maye?  What do you think it will take?

-Do we stay at 7 and take a 2nd tier QB there and if so who?

-Do we not take a QB at all, build the roster and punt QB to next year?

-Do we tray to trade back and acquire more draft capital in attempt to build a solid roster for the first time in the last 25 years?

-Do we take BPA (3T/CB) in the 1st and wait for a QB to fall to the end of the 1st and trade up?  

We will have so many options but if we win some more games, each draft spot we fall will cost us more to move up if that is what we chose to do.  It is clear that AP is not the answer at HC and AOC/ Jimmy "dawg/ all he does is win" G are not the answers.  This season is toast and it is in the best long term interst of the franchise to lose out and improve our draft position. 

I’m gonna wait until offseason to see the available QBs. Fields, Minshew , Cousins and  Murray could all be available 

However, I’d like to get a OT, DT or CB

We need a QB but I wouldn’t force it in round 1 unless we’re confident he can start day 1. However, I would mind drafting another Day 2 QB . Titans perhaps have a keeper in Levis which they got Day 2

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

I’m gonna wait until offseason to see the available QBs. Fields, Minshew , Cousins and  Murray could all be available 

We need a QB but I wouldn’t force it in round 1 unless we’re confident he can start day 1. However, I would mind drafting another Day 2 QB . Titans perhaps have a keeper in Levis which they got Day 2

Minshew should not be considered an option unless he's backing up O'Connell as the presumptive starter in 2024.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Team has to get a QB. Whatever that entails. 

-Attempt to trade up for Maye/Williams

-Depending on what QB is available at 7, consider taking him there

If no QB is available:

- BPA is not going to be CB or 3T, it would be OT. 

There is not a 3T or CB worth a top 10 pick. If you can't land QB at 7, then trade back and look at making a move on the next waive of QB. 

If I had to pick at 7, can't trade it and no QB I like. Take the BPA likely at OT and build the trenches. Look at QB in round 2.  

BPA may be OT but would it be the best move for our team?   We have Miller who I have always thought is an above average LT.  If we are picking a top 10 OT it should be a LT but what does that do for the team?  Are we moving Miller to RT or the rookie?  I also think that a quality RT can be acquired in free agency.  Value on the interior Oline can be found in rounds 3 and above.  We need to build the trenches but we also have to be smart and strategic about it.

I would not be opposed to a trade back to land a CB like Wiggins.  He has all the tools to be a #1 in the NFL.  I haven't watched much on 3T Newton but many are saying he's the best in class and a top 15 pick.  3T's are tricky to project as pass rushers and everyone knows we need to push the pocket from the interior.  This is a major need. 

No doubt we need a QB bad.  I am torn on moving up and giving up draft capital to get our guy and hope he is a stud or just staying put/ trading back and trying to build a quality roster before throwing a rookie QB to the wolves.  Many QB's have washed out because of the situation they have been put into and all indications are that this team will be lacking talent across the board next season. 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

All of those QB's are stop gaps and none are QB's to build around.  I would much rather build a solid roster and roll with a cheap option at QB like AOC or potentially Minchew if he can be signed for 10M or less.  The contract would be the only reason to sign him as I think he is a below average QB.  

Levis is meh, he is not the long term answer for the Titans.  I have no idea what you're basing that comment on. 

Are we stuck with Jimmy "dawg" G next year or can he be cut and what is the cap hit? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Team has to get a QB. Whatever that entails. 

-Attempt to trade up for Maye/Williams

-Depending on what QB is available at 7, consider taking him there

If no QB is available:

- BPA is not going to be CB or 3T, it would be OT. 

There is not a 3T or CB worth a top 10 pick. If you can't land QB at 7, then trade back and look at making a move on the next waive of QB. 

If I had to pick at 7, can't trade it and no QB I like. Take the BPA likely at OT and build the trenches. Look at QB in round 2.  

Round 2 and beyond QB's have proven to be one of the worst investments you can make, you basically have to move up to get a franchise level talent if you want to be competitive.

And realistically with our draft history would you prefer CJ Stroud or Tyree Wilson, Alex Leatherwood, and Trayvon Mullen. Moving multiple premium picks should be a no brainer for Caleb or Drake.

30 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

All of those QB's are stop gaps and none are QB's to build around.  I would much rather build a solid roster and roll with a cheap option at QB like AOC or potentially Minchew if he can be signed for 10M or less.  The contract would be the only reason to sign him as I think he is a below average QB.  

Levis is meh, he is not the long term answer for the Titans.  I have no idea what you're basing that comment on. 

Are we stuck with Jimmy "dawg" G next year or can he be cut and what is the cap hit? 

Murray and Fields are certainly not stop gaps. Young QBs That are on the brink of being an above average starter that can Evelate to franchise QB in right situation . If Bears didn’t have the projected #1, they would keep him.

Also, Cardinals probably hang on to Murray

Cousins I’m concerned coming off an Achilles . So yes that’s a stop gap

Too early to judge Levis. That comment is based on drafting a Day 2 QB and throwing him in the mix with AOC and a Vet. Not forcing a Day 2 level QB in a top 15. I’ve even entertain a late 1st

We should be able to find a trade partner for Jimmy G.

My suggestion is to go with AOC/Vet/Rookie Day 2 pick . Let them battle it out in camp/preseason. Best man wins the job 

38 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

BPA may be OT but would it be the best move for our team?   We have Miller who I have always thought is an above average LT.  If we are picking a top 10 OT it should be a LT but what does that do for the team?  Are we moving Miller to RT or the rookie?  I also think that a quality RT can be acquired in free agency.  Value on the interior Oline can be found in rounds 3 and above.  We need to build the trenches but we also have to be smart and strategic about it.

I would not be opposed to a trade back to land a CB like Wiggins.  He has all the tools to be a #1 in the NFL.  I haven't watched much on 3T Newton but many are saying he's the best in class and a top 15 pick.  3T's are tricky to project as pass rushers and everyone knows we need to push the pocket from the interior.  This is a major need. 

No doubt we need a QB bad.  I am torn on moving up and giving up draft capital to get our guy and hope he is a stud or just staying put/ trading back and trying to build a quality roster before throwing a rookie QB to the wolves.  Many QB's have washed out because of the situation they have been put into and all indications are that this team will be lacking talent across the board next season. 

RT spot is garbage and Miller only has 2 years left on his contract. OT is a need albeit I wouldn't like that pick at 7 overall.

Agree on Wiggins. Newton is going to be polarizing. Here is from Dane Bugler's recent mock (has him going 20):

With his lack of size, Newton isn’t a consensus first-round pick — some teams believe he is more of a second-rounder. But given his disruptive nature while playing a high number of snaps, he offers a ton of value, especially in a lackluster defensive tackle class.

As for QB, I think Vegas is a great landing spot. They are talented at the skill spots and have a franchise LT. Depending on what happens with Jacobs they will need RB and some upgrades on the Oline. 

A lot has to happen still before I form an opinion on trading up vs. staying put. 

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Round 2 and beyond QB's have proven to be one of the worst investments you can make, you basically have to move up to get a franchise level talent if you want to be competitive.

And realistically with our draft history would you prefer CJ Stroud or Tyree Wilson, Alex Leatherwood, and Trayvon Mullen. Moving multiple premium picks should be a no brainer for Caleb or Drake.

I'm all for trading up, but that cost is expensive typically so you better be sure you're getting a franchise guy. Carolina traded up for Young and have really set themselves back for the foreseeable future.

I choose not to look at past draft mistakes as reason for justifying something in the future. It will be an entirely new regime making the picks. 

That said, I was adamant about trading Carr and using all those resources in the Gruden years to get better at QB. 

25 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Eagles and 49ers found their franchise QBs beyond round 1 recently. So it is possible 

Edited by bucksavage1

Just now, bucksavage1 said:

Eagles and 49ers found their franchise QBs beyond round 2 recently. So it is possible

The two most stacked teams in the NFL by a wide margin, there's a decade worth of data that says your chance on hitting in that range is like 7%.

12 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I'm all for trading up, but that cost is expensive typically so you better be sure you're getting a franchise guy. Carolina traded up for Young and have really set themselves back for the foreseeable future.

I choose not to look at past draft mistakes as reason for justifying something in the future. It will be an entirely new regime making the picks. 

That said, I was adamant about trading Carr and using all those resources in the Gruden years to get better at QB.

The Jets are reportedly interested in trading for Adams, if we move him for a 1st we'd have the resources to move up without leveraging a ton of future draft assets, IMO. Young was a good prospect but had obvious red flags, I don't see the same concerns with Maye or Williams

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

The two most stacked teams in the NFL by a wide margin, there's a decade worth of data that says your chance on hitting in that range is like 7%.

all we need to do is aquire 14 2nd round picks... use them all on QB, then data shows we will hit on one. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

The Jets are reportedly interested in trading for Adams, if we move him for a 1st we'd have the resources to move up without leveraging a ton of future draft assets, IMO. Young was a good prospect but had obvious red flags, I don't see the same concerns with Maye or Williams

I know 3 way trades rarely happen in the NFL, but if we come to terms with the jets on a first but say its conditional on how draft goes, we could possibly:
Raiders trade their 1st and adams - Recieve top 5ish pick
top 5 team - raiders 1st jets first
Jets - DA

Seems possible as jets will be a good pick,  I just cant see them trading a first for adams, but praying Rogers can talk them into it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

So you’re saying there a chance meme lol

Just saying, it can happen. We can also trade up like the Panthers like @big_palookasaid.
Bryce Young can still be good but Stroud is obviously much better. They still owe an awful amount of pick to the Bears and they sent their best offensive player to them.

I think the cost to get to #2 might be enormous and we need to keep our draft capital 

Edited by bucksavage1