2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

Just now, NYRaider said:

Smith was the definition of good enough to win with but not good enough to contend with, IMO. The 49ers and Chiefs both made runs to the Super Bowl immediately after replacing him with a younger more dynamic player.

Eh, the 9ers made the Superbowl largely because of Smith. Kaepernick was never going to be consistent enough for an entire season to make that sort of run. 

As for the Chiefs, they didn't just land a more dynamic playerz they landed a potential GOAT. That can't be understated. 

To say Smith couldn't have won one, to me, places him too low. He was a better overall QB than Eli or Flacco. The AFC was so dominated by New England and Brady collecting rings people have tended to devalue a team making a conference championship. 

Now, could Smith have done it without a lot of help? Meh, probably not. I mean, he didn't, so I suppose the only relevant answer is no. But there's no reason he couldn't have won one had he not been replaced. 

He's in that Philip Rivers camp, to me, where it's more surprising he didn't win one- though his profile certainly doesn't match Rivers'. More like it's amazing Rivers didn't win at least 2. 

Idk, saying he couldn’t just seems overly critical to me considering some.ofnthe guys who only ever won 1. If the 49ers and Chiefs won one with Smith- and it's plausible- what then? He's better than Rodgers and Brees? Not to rabbit hole, just a thought about how we perceive certain guys as "can't win with". 

8 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yeah I agree this is gonna be a tough scenario for sure. I'd be happy with McCarthy or Daniels in the 1st tbf. Or a reasonable trade up for Maye/Caleb (doubtful that it'll be reasonable).

Never say never. If Belichick is still coaching in NE, he loves a trade down. I could see him going for Kirk Cousins with that defense and trying to rebound quick vs. starting over on a rookie.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Never say never. If Belichick is still coaching in NE, he loves a trade down. I could see him going for Kirk Cousins with that defense and trying to rebound quick vs. starting over on a rookie.

The Patriots situation reminds me a lot of the Spurs in the NBA, Greg Pop knew he needed that new superstar to build around with Victor. I'm sure Bill realizes that too with Maye/Williams potentially on the board for them.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

The Patriots situation reminds me a lot of the Spurs in the NBA, Greg Pop knew he needed that new superstar to build around with Victor. I'm sure Bill realizes that too with Maye/Williams potentially on the board for them.

I have my doubts Bill will be back.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Jer'Zhan Newton + a corner in FA (poach snead from the chiefs?) if we can't get a QB early -> top 10 defense

Meh I tried to watch him he’s active and has a motor but I’m not seeing a lot of technique he out hustles guys but kinda disappears tho.

imo

wr, lb, de is slim af this year

cb is hella deep tho

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Honestly, I'd rather do something more like:

A. If we aren't going QB with our 1st pick, trade back a little and grab one while adding a pick or two

B. Go QB and attempt a small trade up for a defensive BPA type at DT or CB. 

If we skip QB with our first pick, we paint ourselves in a bit of a corner, imo, where we now HAVE to move up or miss out. 

Imo you gotta pick qb first I’m hoping pennix or daniels slides I’ve been able to do slight trade backs and get daniels in the early 20’s

3 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Meh I tried to watch him he’s active and has a motor but I’m not seeing a lot of technique he out hustles guys but kinda disappears tho.

imo

wr, lb, de is slim af this year

cb is hella deep tho

WR? This is one of the best WR classes ever. 

Marvin Harrison Jr

Malik Nabers

Rome Odunze

Keon Coleman

Emeka Egbuka

Adoni Mitchell

Xavier Worthy

Ja'Lynn Polk

Troy Franklin

Etc. 

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

WR? This is one of the best WR classes ever. 

Marvin Harrison Jr

Malik Nabers

Rome Odunze

Keon Coleman

Emeka Egbuka

Adoni Mitchell

Xavier Worthy

Ja'Lynn Polk

Troy Franklin

Etc. 

yea unless you pick qb in the first then the list cuts in half. When I say deep I mean you can get similar values in mid rounds as the 1st. Like dl last year. We have diff wr standards too. 

I like worthy been liking him for a few yrs btw

Edited by NCOUGHMAN

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

11. JJ McCarthy | QB | Michigan

42. T'Vondre Sweat | DT | Texas

73. Caelen Carson | CB | Wake Forest

112. Jalen McMillian | WR | Washington

146. Junior Colson | LB | Michigan

I like Carson 

not sold on McCarthy idk what it is but he reminds me of a mix of Zach Wilson in josh allen body in college 

Edited by NCOUGHMAN

LSU has Malik Nabors (top 10) and Brian Thomas Jr. (first round) at WR. 

Jaylen Daniels gets so much hype from his stats, but he's throwing the ball typically on one read to two of the best in the country. 

I hope someone takes him early to push a better QB down. He's a carnival QB.