2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I'd personally take him, the upside is there, as @big_palooka said you may have to be a little more patient with him, but that's to be expected when you draft a 20 year old prospect.

I'd love to sign someone like Gardner Minshew and draft JJ.

I'm going to be very ecstatic if we draft any QB in the first round, it's my only real hope for this offseason. More so than who our next coach is. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

"To this day" he says. He was drafted 7 months ago. 

And I didn't like Wilson first off. Second, yes. I will defend the fact he was projected as a top 10 pick. Does it mean he will live up to that, maybe, maybe not. But it's way to early to judge.

The teams play an entirely different type of offense. So if you're judging that, it's to fit whatever narrative you want. 

I’m not a jj hater I just want to know if he can throw consistently or not. Can he put a team on his back and air it out if need be.

The way it looks imo where we sit draft wise it’s gonna be between jj and nix. Interesting to see ewers too in the playoffs 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Let's say that Michigan doesn't fall behind and we don't see him air it out.  Raiders are on the clock in the 1st and McCarthy is on the board.  Do you take him?  Clearly there is a risk here but from everything I have been reading it would be worth the risk.  

He's 20, blue chip prospect coming out of high school, has the arm, mobility and intelligence.  If we do then that poses the question to start him day 1 or sit him.  I would be on the side of sitting him day 1 as Adams will most likely be gone, Jacobs could very well be also and Jimmy "dawg" G should be.  AOC is not the answer but can be a serviceable backup.  I would look for a vet on the cheap like Minchew for around 10M to start the year and ease McCarthy into his role as a starter as the overall team may not be suitable for a 20 year old rookie QB.  By suitable I mean a bad D, below average Oline, most likely a #2 WR as our #1, potentially no proven RB.  Not ideal for a rookie QB. 

With you on all of this. I am sold on McCarthy. His upside is immense and he has the right intangibles, leadership and disposition of an NFL QB.

I would also sit him unless he's proves ready. You're not drafting him to be day 1 starter, you'r drafting him in hopes of being a 10+ year franchise guy. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NickButera said:

I'm going to be very ecstatic if we draft any QB in the first round, it's my only real hope for this offseason. More so than who our next coach is. 

A good coach and potentially elite QB can shift the entire outlook of a franchise overnight basically, look at Houston. I just don't have a ton of faith in Mark to get it right with his recent hires sadly. If we pass on taking a QB I'll honestly have no faith in him to get it right going forward.

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

A good coach and potentially elite QB can shift the entire outlook of a franchise overnight basically, look at Houston. I just don't have a ton of faith in Mark to get it right with his recent hires sadly. If we pass on taking a QB I'll honestly have no faith in him to get it right going forward.

Mark keeps trying to hit a home run with the hire. He needs to get on base with a good coach who can grow and spread the money around to get him the best assistant coaches. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

One of the Bears main beat writers came out today and said that they're likely going to draft a QB #1 and trade Fields.

In other news, water is wet, the pope is catholic, a bear poops in the woods and Dolly Parton sleeps on her back. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Mark keeps trying to hit a home run with the hire. He needs to get on base with a good coach who can grow and spread the money around to get him the best assistant coaches. 

An even bigger issue is that we've only had a GM in place to hire a coach twice in franchise history and that was Reggie McKenzie who hired Dennis Allen and Jack Del Rio. When you really think about it he is really the only GM we've ever had that had control over personnel decisions and hiring decisions. It's just lame that we're going to be hiring a head coach and a GM at the same time again, because ideally you have a GM in place that can pick the guy he wants to work with.

Making the playoffs before our last coaching search also delayed things for us by a couple of weeks too. I wonder what the plan will be this time around, ideally we go after Smith or Johnson though.

22 hours ago, Geezy said:

OL with our 1st and trade up with our 2nd, Penix, Daniels or Nix. Go heavy on D in FA. I hate that we have to deal with Jimmys dead cap for two years smfh

I haven't thought much about taking a right tackle because, from what I understand, right tackle has not been as bad with Eluemenor and Munford, and the offensive line has played pretty well this year. But, I think there is room to upgrade with a guy like JC Latham. I wouldn't be surprised to see the line regress year-over-year because it lacks blue-chip talent, so I wouldn't hate the pick.

That said, the fanbase (including me) is hungry for a QB, and it would be a tough sell to pick an offensive lineman over Daniels if he's there. I am not there yet trading up into the first for Penix or Nix. I like Nix more, but he has enough questions where I don't think he is worth moving back into the first round. I view Penix as more of a third-round pick.

11 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I haven't thought much about taking a right tackle because, from what I understand, right tackle has not been as bad with Eluemenor and Munford, and the offensive line has played pretty well this year. But, I think there is room to upgrade with a guy like JC Latham. I wouldn't be surprised to see the line regress year-over-year because it lacks blue-chip talent, so I wouldn't hate the pick.

That said, the fanbase (including me) is hungry for a QB, and it would be a tough sell to pick an offensive lineman over Daniels if he's there. I am not there yet trading up into the first for Penix or Nix. I like Nix more, but he has enough questions where I don't think he is worth moving back into the first round. I view Penix as more of a third-round pick.

I think Latham should kick to rg. He can play rt but I think he’d be a god at rg.