2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

1 hour ago, The Truth said:

I think he could play FS at a high level 

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

I think that would be a foolish way to use his skill set.

I have no doubt he could play FS at a high level.  The kid appears football smart and fast.  Angles and route combos shouldn't be an issue for him.

Also?  @spilltray is right.  FS would be his least valuable spot.  

2 minutes ago, spilltray said:

The "special" traits he has are better up close. Even if he could do it well, he wouldn't be able to use the traits he's shown that make him a high end prospect.

For sure.  We should 100% be looking at a FS in free agency.  We need a guy who has been there and done that already.

If our window wasn't open?  Then you could put him there and let him learn (Dejean).  But with the way things are, there is no reason to play Dejean as a deep FS.  And every reason for him to be SS (Star) or pure slot CB.

9 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

What if I told you that we could put in a defense with....get this....3 safeties.  ( I feel like we did this at times last year )

You can play games with all of them, but especially DeJean.  Is he an OLB?  Slot?  SS?  FS?

You know how QB's like to identify the Mike at the LOS?  How about if they have to identify what a "joker" player like Dejean is doing?

Because?  You are right, he can play nickel.  I know he can play deep.  I know he can support the run.  I don't question the athleticism nor the instincts.   But man, it would be so cool to roll out there with a FA safety, DeJean and maybe AJJJ.

At the combine I saw a quote from Gute saying that they ideally have the slot corner and two safety spots be "interchangeable". Seems like a big nickel like DeJean is exactly what they want there. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Sandy said:

At the combine I saw a quote from Gute saying that they ideally have the slot corner and two safety spots be "interchangeable". Seems like a big nickel like DeJean is exactly what they want there. 

I'd say that 31 other GM's would say the same thing.

We know it is ideal and easier said than done.

DeJean has the abilities to actually do it, though.  We won't be the only team that sees that in him.  Maybe that injury pushes him down some.  Or maybe we have to go up a little to get him.

I still feel like he's a top 20 player in this draft.  But we shall see.

The interesting thing in all of this Dejean safety stuff is....free agency.  There are a lot of safeties in free agency that are proven.  And this draft class is just so, well, bad at safety that if you really need one, you are probably filling that role in free agency.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think if you're drafting Dejean it's to play CB.  He played like one snap at safety in his entire career at Iowa.  People are just saying "he's a safety" because he's like 6'1" 205 and white.

There's more to it than that. People are projecting him as a safety because there aren't any 1st round prospects at Safety. That and he has the physicality to play either safety position. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Did only two safeties actually run the 3 cone ? I'm looking at the combine results and only two safeties have a time up. What's going on here, is everyone just refusing to do testing ?

I haven't seen many of the guys that I looked at running any of the agility drills.  A lot of RBs didn't either.  Don't know if they just don't want to get knocked on that for 2 reps at Indy when they can practice for a week before pro days or what.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

Just take Tyler Owens , S, Texas Tech, completely off the board. If he's that dumb, I don't trust him to learn reads and coverages either.

On the other hand, he won't be thinking about planets and stuff while he studies the playbook.  Get him single-minded.  Plus, that also means he probably doesn't like Star Wars, and we need fewer geeks on the team.

6 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

There's more to it than that. People are projecting him as a safety because there aren't any 1st round prospects at Safety. That and he has the physicality to play either safety position. 

Like I said before, I just think he moves like Micah Hyde, who was a good safety and a horrible corner.  I don't care if he is blue...  Just kidding, I am racist against blue people.

48 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I have no doubt he could play FS at a high level.  The kid appears football smart and fast.  Angles and route combos shouldn't be an issue for him.

Also?  @spilltray is right.  FS would be his least valuable spot.  

FS is the position we are drafting Calen Bullock to play. 

19 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

On the other hand, he won't be thinking about planets and stuff while he studies the playbook.  Get him single-minded.  Plus, that also means he probably doesn't like Star Wars, and we need fewer geeks on the team.

At a certain level that to me would include flat earthers and "birds aren't real", I don't want to make their teammates have to deal with that on a daily basis.

19 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Like I said before, I just think he moves like Micah Hyde, who was a good safety and a horrible corner.  I don't care if he is blue...  Just kidding, I am racist against blue people.

You don't have your colloidal silver as a treat after dinner?

21 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Not My Job: The Blue Man Group Turns 25 | WBFO

There’s healthy skepticism and then there’s “I don’t believe in outer space.” This is perhaps harsh, but I don’t want a guy on my team who doesn’t think planets exist, unless he’s like, REALLY good at football.