2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

6 hours ago, beekay414 said:

IRT Shipley, look at his skillset and not necessarily his production in 2023. Clemson's offense was more catered to Phil Mafah's strength's as a runner than Shipley's this year. Shipley was also beat up pretty good this year IIRC. Look at him as a fit for our offense. He's perfect for the Aaron Jones role. Like literally perfect for it.

Yeah I see what you guys are talking about now. Made it through almost all his 2023 stuff and he does have a similar overall playstyle to CMC. 

I think you have to weigh whether Shipley can handle the load at the next level.  You go in with the mindset if Jacobs goes out can Shipley be your bellcow if needed.  I like Shipley, he's got versatility and brings a lot to the field.  Good football player, just don't think he has the size and durability for what the Packers look for.  I wouldn't be disappointed if they took him, just don't think he's a guy you could give 15-20 carries in December if needed and stay healthy. JMO.

• Like 1

Every year we talk about potential EDGE targets and discuss some of the lighter guys who never seem to end up on Gute's list. 

If Chop is there at 25, he fits the "physical athletic freak" Gute typically loves in round 1. But he's a tad under the weight we typically like for EDGE players (maybe that's different under Hafley although it didn't change from Pettine to Barry). 

Do we think Chop is in play?

Edited by packfanfb

13 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Every year we talk about potential EDGE targets and discuss some of the lighter guys who never seem to end up on Gute's list. 

If Chop is there at 25, he fits the "physical athletic freak" Gute typically loves in round 1. But he's a tad under the weight we typically like for EDGE players (maybe that's different under Hafley although it didn't change from Pettine to Barry). 

I've always wanted a guy like that, but not sure he's the "speed," EDGE rusher I'd prefer. He's not "Chopped" liver though and I'd love to have him as I think EDGE is a sneaky need for this team. 

The guy I really like will be long gone at 25. Dallas Turner is my draft crush. Spoiler alert, my draft crush is always a pass rusher. 

23 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I believe Chop is in play only if Hafley wants a lighter guy as a counter to the beef we have at Edge. I don’t think Gute would look at him otherwise. So I guess the answer is maybe, but I wouldn’t count on it. 

11 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Why isn't there more love for Braelon Allen from all the Badger homers?

We’re all burned by falling in love with early career workout vids and then the contrast with the actual underwhelming result on the field. 

1 minute ago, Isherwood said:

We’re all burned by falling in love with early career workout vids and then the contrast with the actual underwhelming result on the field. 

Think maybe he got too big last year? Maybe needs to trim down 10 pounds or so to get his quickness back? Also, Wisconsin had no semblance of a passing game last year, which doesn't help a RB. 

Just now, Old Guy said:

Think maybe he got too big last year? Maybe needs to trim down 10 pounds or so to get his quickness back? Also, Wisconsin had no semblance of a passing game last year, which doesn't help a RB. 

And passing was supposed to be their MO with the new coaching staff. Of course, there’s always a transition period so it may take a couple years to really see it flourish. You’re right, that offense was a disjointed mess. 

I wouldn’t be mad at taking him on day 3, but I also don’t have high hopes for him. Like you said, he got too big. Is he too much of a gym room warrior and not enough of a gamer? 

11 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Everybody sees different things when they watch guys. For example, I see way more NFL running from Will Shipley than I ever do from Jaylen Wright. Yet, Jaylen Wright is the guy everyone drools over (and will be wrong about in the end) and Shipley is the guy people "don't see it with." 

I'll confidently say that Will Shipley will be in the NFL for a decade and Jaylen Wright will wash out before his rookie contract is up. Wright is this year's Israel Abanikanda. I'm sure I'm not the first person to say that. In fact, I'm pretty certain I've seen someone else say that here. Come forth! 

Jaylen Wright runs really fast in a straight line tho

• Like 1

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

I think he is. If you look at the type of EDGE players the 49ers employ (Hafley coached there 2016-2018), many of them are in the 250-260 range. 

Edited by Brat&Beer

4 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I think Allen has better feet than Dillon does and will be a better runner than Dillon.

Yea but is he Mayor of a Wisconsin County?

• Like 1