2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

39 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Let's start with trying the guy we spent a 3rd rounder on and looked good in his very limited playing time.

The Packers are spending the 30th salary on Myers, $1.4 million.  The median center contract is $4.75 for David Andrews.  I feel the same about Myers as I do about Runyan, you can win with them, but you don't win because of them (your mileage may vary).  Very recent trends have me feeling better about Myers than Runyan, but that has been different in the past.  Myers isn't a FA until after next season, so we don't necessarily need to extend or replace him this offseason.  If we can retain him for a mid 20s type of salary, I am not against it.  But if you find a center you really like in the draft, by all means take him.

As for guard, I am of the opinion that you go cheap unless you find a stud.  I think that the difference between a good guard and an average guard is a lot bigger than the difference between an average guard and a bad guard.  Just as long as the bad doesn't drift into liability level, it is probably fine and a flaw you can deal with.  Draft a guard in round 4, let him compete with Rhyan next offseason and let the best man win.   

I don't delve into prospects very much until the season is complete.  My team needs would also include safety and running back.  And while it is probably needed, taking 3 OL in a draft that we have our best draft capital in over a decade is like getting socks for Christmas.  I know I need socks.  I know I even asked for socks.  But it is god damn socks, and this is Christmas!

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I think he could end up QB 2. I’m not giving up on Love for him idt.

I don't know the prospect you are talking about.  Full disclosure.

But unless I can get Caleb Williams, I'm not taking a QB over Love.  

QB's get better as the game slows down.  Love has all the physical talent you need at QB...and he seems to have great composure on the field.  I'm comfortable giving him time and building this thing around him.

Pretty sure you are too, but I just wanted to say that I feel like Love has had a nice 2 game stretch here and I am hopeful that we see continued signs of growth from him the rest of the year.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't know the prospect you are talking about.  Full disclosure.

But unless I can get Caleb Williams, I'm not taking a QB over Love.  

QB's get better as the game slows down.  Love has all the physical talent you need at QB...and he seems to have great composure on the field.  I'm comfortable giving him time and building this thing around him.

Pretty sure you are too, but I just wanted to say that I feel like Love has had a nice 2 game stretch here and I am hopeful that we see continued signs of growth from him the rest of the year.

What about burning that 2nd round pick on a Brian Brohm to push Love?

8 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Interesting thought, but no.

I'm pretty okay with Clifford behind Love.  No need for a highly drafted 3rd QB.

We really need to re-vamp the offensive line and now we also need help in the secondary at both the safety position and cornerback position.  We need enough to hold onto those picks and not burn them to "push" a QB who is already showing some signs of progression.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, pgwingman said:

Who exactly did Brian Brohm actually push? He was a complete bust. Now, if there is anyway in heck that Jayden Daniels is sitting there when we select in the second round, I'm going to have run to the podium and get that card in. 

The 'experts,' have him as second round talent, or later. He's not going to get past mid-round 1 IMO. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

The Packers are spending the 30th salary on Myers, $1.4 million.  The median center contract is $4.75 for David Andrews.  I feel the same about Myers as I do about Runyan, you can win with them, but you don't win because of them (your mileage may vary).  Very recent trends have me feeling better about Myers than Runyan, but that has been different in the past.  Myers isn't a FA until after next season, so we don't necessarily need to extend or replace him this offseason.  If we can retain him for a mid 20s type of salary, I am not against it.  But if you find a center you really like in the draft, by all means take him.

As for guard, I am of the opinion that you go cheap unless you find a stud.  I think that the difference between a good guard and an average guard is a lot bigger than the difference between an average guard and a bad guard.  Just as long as the bad doesn't drift into liability level, it is probably fine and a flaw you can deal with.  Draft a guard in round 4, let him compete with Rhyan next offseason and let the best man win.   

I don't delve into prospects very much until the season is complete.  My team needs would also include safety and running back.  And while it is probably needed, taking 3 OL in a draft that we have our best draft capital in over a decade is like getting socks for Christmas.  I know I need socks.  I know I even asked for socks.  But it is god damn socks, and this is Christmas!

Socks aren't exciting but the keep your feet warm. Try walking on frost bitten feet. We need a LT and a RG. If Myers continues to improve, we can get by by keeping Tom at RT where he has been looking really good. Socks come in pairs. Would 2 OL work for you? LT round 1. G with second round 2 pick. Who would you want with the first round 2 pick? Would you go offense or defense? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Socks aren't exciting but the keep your feet warm. Try walking on frost bitten feet. We need a LT and a RG. If Myers continues to improve, we can get by by keeping Tom at RT where he has been looking really good. Socks come in pairs. Would 2 OL work for you? LT round 1. G with second round 2 pick. Who would you want with the first round 2 pick? Would you go offense or defense? 

Oh, believe me, I get it.  OL is great, and when you hit on OL your team is great.  But it sure isn't delivering excitement like drafting a flashy QB or WR or edge guy is.  That is really all I am saying.

I think with second round pick I am going safety or running back.  I'd have to see the entrants, but those seem like the most likely to see the field as a rookie given our current understanding of the 2024 roster.  

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Oh, believe me, I get it.  OL is great, and when you hit on OL your team is great.  But it sure isn't delivering excitement like drafting a flashy QB or WR or edge guy is.  That is really all I am saying.

I think with second round pick I am going safety or running back.  I'd have to see the entrants, but those seem like the most likely to see the field as a rookie given our current understanding of the 2024 roster.  

I'll throw corner into the mix with the second round picks.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Who exactly did Brian Brohm actually push? He was a complete bust. Now, if there is anyway in heck that Jayden Daniels is sitting there when we select in the second round, I'm going to have run to the podium and get that card in. 

The 'expert,' have him as second round talent, or later. He's not going to get past mid-round 1 IMO. 

I think the push from Brohm was a final prod to the ego of Aaron Rodgers.  Letting him know that we aren't giving you anything and that we replaced Brett Favre, we will replace you too.  Rodgers is incredibly thin skinned and highly competitive, which is part of what makes him great.  There are a ton of examples supporting that.  I am not sure that Jordan Love is the same kind of guy that is motivated in the same ways as Rodgers.  

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'll throw corner into the mix with the second round picks.  

I need to see the rest of the season.  There is a universe where Stokes and Alexander get healthy and Valentine rounds out a solid top 3.  We then are possibly looking at finding a pure slot guy or rolling with the cheap guys we currently have and typical udfa corner guys we pull in every year.  

BUT that is still contingent on Stokes and Alexander.  

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

#1: OT

#2A: CB

#2B: S

#3A: Guard

#3B: Center

#4: RB

#6: CB

#7: OT

Give me another guard prospect over the 7th OT.  We still have:  Walker, Jones, Tenuta, and Telfort as balls of clay to mold.  These guys have done well in preseason, a late round tackle is probably a lateral move.