2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

Putting Dupree in the same category as Clarett is laughable.

With NIL and NFL compensation being on opposite tracks for RB's, it may be the one position where I could imagine players with legit NFL talent staying in college an extra year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Stingley and Dupree (along with Clarett) would've proven the draft rule correct. 

I am actually curious what it is that you think would have been proven correct.  That Dupree wasn't physically ready for the NFL?  That is ridiculous. He obviously was.

The NFL draft rule is about keeping college football setup as a de facto farm system for the NFL.  Nothing more, nothing less.  The draft rule works great for both sides, but not so much for the player's career earnings. 

In general, I think it's also best for the fans.  NCAA and NFL football are both excellent products.  The current draft rule plays a part in that.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I am actually curious what it is that you think would have been proven correct.  That Dupree wasn't physically ready for the NFL?  That is ridiculous. He obviously was.

The NFL draft rule is about keeping college football setup as a de facto farm system for the NFL.  Nothing more, nothing less.  The draft rule works great for both sides, but not so much for the player's career earnings. 

In general, I think it's also best for the fans.  NCAA and NFL football are both excellent products.  The current draft rule plays a part in that.

Ya those kids could be training with professional programs learning football 60 hours a week instead of getting 'the college experience'. We would get better professional football as a result. Players would make more money with 2-3 yr longer careers.

Edited by HokieHigh

58 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Ya those kids could be training with professional programs learning football 60 hours a week instead of getting 'the college experience'. We would get better professional football as a result. Players would make more money with 2-3 yr longer careers.

63530-0-1500294737.png

Can't compete against a system that costs the NFL nothing in terms of dollars.

52 minutes ago, Tperk said:

What are some of the best/free mock draft simulation websites that people are using?

Hard to take some of these sites seriously when I am doing a quick mock and Alt or Maye is available at pick 20.

NFL draft buzz and fanspeak are pretty good. They all have a couple of head scratchers though. 

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

NFL draft buzz and fanspeak are pretty good. They all have a couple of head scratchers though. 

NFL Draft Buzz still has us listed at pick 9 and Fanspeak just had Blake Fisher drafted at pick 8, Jack Sawyer at pick 9, and Quinn Ewers at pick 11. Thats just ridiculous IMO.

14 minutes ago, Tperk said:

NFL Draft Buzz still has us listed at pick 9 and Fanspeak just had Blake Fisher drafted at pick 8, Jack Sawyer at pick 9, and Quinn Ewers at pick 11. Thats just ridiculous IMO.

They all do it. They never seem to have the top 10 the same. 

20 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

They all do it. They never seem to have the top 10 the same. 

I get that but to have a guy that every list that I have seen shows Fisher at closer to 125 than pick 8, and Ewers closer to 50-75 picked at 11 just makes these sites completely useless in looking at doing a somewhat realistic mock.

9 minutes ago, Tperk said:

I get that but to have a guy that every list that I have seen shows Fisher at closer to 125 than pick 8, and Ewers closer to 50-75 picked at 11 just makes these sites completely useless in looking at doing a somewhat realistic mock.

None of them are very realistic. Everyone you do will have a few guys slipping to where they will never go. 

Edited by Old Guy

On 12/9/2023 at 6:41 AM, Mazrimiv said:

Dupree was physically ready if he could have been drafted.  He wasn't ready to handle the load mentally.  He wasn't very coachable and his attitude got in the way along with his knee.  

14 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Dupree was physically ready if he could have been drafted.  He wasn't ready to handle the load mentally.  He wasn't very coachable and his attitude got in the way along with his knee.  

I can agree with all of that, but none of it was going to change by having Dupree wait before entering the league.  He was as limited by his crap attitude as he was gifted physically.

NBA rookies are exposed to just as much mentally, make even more money (I think), but can enter the league a year after high school.  I'd go as far to say that playing RB in the NFL is far less mentally taxing than playing any position in the NBA.