2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Thank you for the clarification, but I get it.  Totally.

And I do not agree.  With so few guys with a first round grade, I'd rather sit on those picks and make the selections as opposed to package them up for the opportunity to take a guy in the first round, without a first round grade.

Maybe I could be convinced of this strategy, if we need a QB and a QB was there. Then the 5th year option appeals to me in that situation.  But we don't need one.

So again, I'll take those multiple picks and see how I can fill out the roster.

Do you also trade down with your #1?

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

DeJean seems like a strong option for the Packers.  He'd start at safety from day one, or might actually be a perfect "star" nickel corner if we continue with that sort of thing.  He screams Packers draft pick to me.

I'm not even trying him at corner.  He's my safety.  Plain and simple.  For about a decade.  

If we want a star nickel corner?  He's already on our roster.  Savage.  He's likely gone this off season, though.  And that is too bad.  I thought he had a lot of potential in that role.

1 minute ago, HokieHigh said:

Do you also trade down with your #1?

No.  I haven't tried that yet because there is always good value at where we are picking on that thing.  Sometimes it is an offensive tackle, sometimes it is a defensive tackle, sometimes it is a WR.

I like that simulator because it lets me read and see stats on guys.  What I'm seeing is a pretty nice offensive line group in rounds 1 and 2.

Tons of WR's.

Safeties are odd.  I see only a few that were really deep safeties.  Many are the slot/box safeties.

That simulator loves it when I take the Texas running back in round 3.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

He's not been a different guy.  This narrative needs to calm down.

He's always been odd.  He's always been a character.  This is not new.

The kid was second team All Pro right after he signed that contract and had like 5 interceptions and locked down an all time great WR in Jefferson when given the opportunity.

It isn't his fault that his defensive coordinator sucks.

Injuries.  He's always been knicked up.  Most every year here.  It isn't new that he gets injured.

Tell yah what.  Put him in man coverage.  Build a defense around that.  Having him mirror a WR should minimize him having to come up fast to make tackles while reading eyes and plays.

Back to his attitude.  It's so bad that when Jayden Reed was being interviewed once after a game, JA walked by and said "He's only going to get better, too!"  Then smiled and walked away.  Reed responded by saying, "All because I get to practice against YOU!".  Then?  All smiles from Reed.

His act may have worn thin for some of us fans, but let's not think that the players don't like him.  

It clearly wore thin on the Packers organization.  He's probably had a litany of infractions this year for it to get to the point of a suspension.  Maybe the Barry thing is the root cause and a new DC will fix everything.  We'll see.  I know he's a quirky guy, but LaFleur was dropping hints a while back that he wanted better from Jaire when he was out injured.  He also didn't travel with the team when they went to play the Giants.  That seemed odd at the time.  I take it there is a lot more to this story than we've heard about.  Not sure he's been the best teammate this year.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It clearly wore thin on the Packers organization.  He's probably had a litany of infractions this year for it to get to the point of a suspension.  Maybe the Barry thing is the root cause and a new DC will fix everything.  We'll see.  I know he's a quirky guy, but LaFleur was dropping hints a while back that he wanted better from Jaire when he was out injured.  I take it there is a lot more to this story than we've heard about.  Not sure he's been the best teammate this year.

So you are upset at our young, 2nd team All Pro cornerback because the team is losing and it is largely because the defensive coordinator is incompetent?

I'd be more upset with defenders who aren't upset and fine going along with the status quo.

See, I'm more or less playing Devil's Advocate here.  I get your point.  100%.  And it may be true.

But that doesn't make it right or really logical.

The truth?  Probably lies in the middle.  Which is why we should see JA here next year.  And if the little things like "attitude" haven't changed?  Then it is time to move on.

All while drafting a few corners in this draft and maybe even bringing in one via FA to push that room.

18 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

He's not been a different guy.  This narrative needs to calm down.

He's always been odd.  He's always been a character.  This is not new.

The kid was second team All Pro right after he signed that contract and had like 5 interceptions and locked down an all time great WR in Jefferson when given the opportunity.

It isn't his fault that his defensive coordinator sucks.

Injuries.  He's always been knicked up.  Most every year here.  It isn't new that he gets injured.

Tell yah what.  Put him in man coverage.  Build a defense around that.  Having him mirror a WR should minimize him having to come up fast to make tackles while reading eyes and plays.

Back to his attitude.  It's so bad that when Jayden Reed was being interviewed once after a game, JA walked by and said "He's only going to get better, too!"  Then smiled and walked away.  Reed responded by saying, "All because I get to practice against YOU!".  Then?  All smiles from Reed.

His act may have worn thin for some of us fans, but let's not think that the players don't like him.  

Well documented how much he helped Quay in the off-season handling his on-field emotions. Jaire is a cancer though. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Well documented how much he helped Quay in the off-season handling his on-field emotions. Jaire is a cancer though. 

So, in order to himself avoid future meltdowns, Walker took the advice of Packers star cornerback, Jaire Alexander, and started meditating. He quickly fell in love with it and now it's become a pregame ritual that's allowing Walker to focus and dial in on what's happening in-between the sidelines.

And a big reason why is because his teammate had the presence of mind to reach out and give what looks to be career-changing advice. 

"Thank God he did that," Walker said of Alexander. "... It humbled me in a way and at the same time, just by me having th

at, it allowed me to experience new things like meditation and everything like that.

https://atozsports.com/green-bay/jaire-alexander-quay-walker-meditation-packers/

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

So, in order to himself avoid future meltdowns, Walker took the advice of Packers star cornerback, Jaire Alexander, and started meditating. He quickly fell in love with it and now it's become a pregame ritual that's allowing Walker to focus and dial in on what's happening in-between the sidelines.

And a big reason why is because his teammate had the presence of mind to reach out and give what looks to be career-changing advice. 

"Thank God he did that," Walker said of Alexander. "... It humbled me in a way and at the same time, just by me having th

at, it allowed me to experience new things like meditation and everything like that.

https://atozsports.com/green-bay/jaire-alexander-quay-walker-meditation-packers/

Okay, I'm convinced.  Since he's great with teammates we should just allow him to break team rules.  He's above reproach.  Being pissed about Barry doesn't give him the right to act out .. if that's even the reason why he is acting the fool.  Hey, hopefully he can get his relationship repaired with the Packers.  If he can't he's a goner.  Ball is squarely in his court now.

31 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Okay, I'm convinced.  Since he's great with teammates we should just allow him to break team rules.  He's above reproach.  Being pissed about Barry doesn't give him the right to act out .. if that's even the reason why he is acting the fool.  Hey, hopefully he can get his relationship repaired with the Packers.  If he can't he's a goner.  Ball is squarely in his court now.

You have every right to be pissed at him.

But you are a fan.  You aren't on the inside seeing what JA is as a teammate.  None of us are.  All we get are glimpses behind the curtain.  And it's pretty easy to see the other side of this.

And he should not be allowed to break team rules.  And he isn't.  That is why he is suspended.  He did the crime, now he's doing the time.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

You have every right to be pissed at him.

But you are a fan.  You aren't on the inside seeing what JA is as a teammate.  None of us are.  All we get are glimpses behind the curtain.  And it's pretty easy to see the other side of this.

And he should not be allowed to break team rules.  And he isn't.  That is why he is suspended.  He did the crime, now he's doing the time.

And what he does from this point forward will determine if he's still on this team come draft time.