2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

7 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Absolutely no chance in hell. This died when Tom become an elite tackle, he's not a center. 

I know. That's just stupid me. I consider C the second most line position after LT. I know I'm wrong, but I have a right to be wrong. 

• Like 4

Any of the tape watchers have thoughts on Barton?  Would he be a fit for GB in RD2 as a G/C upgrade?

Graham Barton, G/OT/C, Duke  -  Height: 6-5. Weight: 306  -  Projected Round (2024): 1-2

1/6/24: Some pro sources said their teams are projecting Barton to move inside to guard in the NFL. They noted that Barton plays with short arms and his body type could fit better on the inside. He also has anchor issues with stopping speed to power. Pro evaluators said they like how Barton is physical, nasty and strong in the ground game.

At left tackle for Duke, Barton was a consistent run blocker and pass protector. He missed time and played through some injuries in 2023. Some sources said they think Barton would be a fabulous center in the NFL. He played some center as a freshman, but might need development in terms of snapping the ball.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 12:06 AM, ThatJerkDave said:

I am currently looking at OT like I am looking at WR.  We are perfectly fine at the position.  If there is a value too good to pass up, take the guy.  But I don't feel like this is a top of the list position anymore.  Walker is at the very least functional, and he is still just 23.  We also still have Kadeem Telfort as a lump of clay to add to Jones and Tenuta.  

Tom is the RT IMO.  Like they say, if it isn't broken, don't fix it.  Defenses now rotate and sub rushers so often that the classic blind-side tackle vs best pass rusher match-up isn't an all game thing any more, you need to have a good pass protector on both sides.  Tom will be 25 next season, and his current contract barely has him making over a million in any of his seasons.  So, neither skill nor cost are prohibitive.

I also like the idea of taking interior OL this draft.  I have flipped and flopped on my opinion of JRJ all season.  Solid starter, to get rid of this guy, to not that bad.  I think since Rhyan has shown not to be a complete bum, I would let someone else pay JRJ.  Myers and Rhyan are both FAs after next season, so a little competition wouldn't be bad.  Super s(cr)ub Royce Newman is also under contract until 2025, if that holds any sway at all.  

WAlker took to long developing this season, but if he can play as well on the right as he's done at LT I think we'll flop the tackles, Tom has better LT ( blind side) ability, and WAlker has the size (bulk) for what is considered the strong side, run first side of the line, jmo

I think we'll still pick up several OL in this draft, just don't think we need to spend RD1 on one.

1 hour ago, turf toe said:

WAlker took to long developing this season, but if he can play as well on the right as he's done at LT I think we'll flop the tackles, Tom has better LT ( blind side) ability, and WAlker has the size (bulk) for what is considered the strong side, run first side of the line, jmo

I think we'll still pick up several OL in this draft, just don't think we need to spend RD1 on one.

If this is working, why would we do that and potentially downgrade both spots? They will also have to get used to working next to a new guard. This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me. 

If that was the plan, it would have happened week 2 when Bak went out. 

• Like 1

Even with the improved play from Rasheed Walker and the potential belief we have our starting tackles for year, I'm still grabbing a T in round 2.

If Walker and Tom continue to shine next year you face the very real possibility, they will both be worthy of massive contracts. No capologist but not sure I'd be down for that. I' be tempted to explore moving one of them (Walker) and see how much I could get and roll with the second rounder in 2025. 

PFF updated their mock. 

1. CHICAGO BEARS (VIA CAR): QB CALEB WILLIAMS, USC
2. WASHINGTON COMMANDERS: QB DRAKE MAYE, NORTH CAROLINA
3. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: QB JAYDEN DANIELS, LSU
4. ARIZONA CARDINALS: WR MARVIN HARRISON JR., OHIO STATE
5. NEW YORK GIANTS: WR MALIK NABERS, LSU
6. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS: OT JOE ALT, NOTRE DAME
7. TENNESSEE TITANS: OT OLU FASHANU, PENN STATE
8. NEW YORK JETS: OT TALIESE FUAGA, OREGON STATE
9. ATLANTA FALCONS: QB MICHAEL PENIX JR., WASHINGTON
10. CHICAGO BEARS: WR ROME ODUNZE, WASHINGTON
11. LAS VEGAS RAIDERS: CB NATE WIGGINS, CLEMSON
12. MINNESOTA VIKINGS: QB BO NIX, OREGON
13. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS: ED JARED VERSE, FLORIDA STATE
14. DENVER BRONCOS: WR TROY FRANKLIN, OREGON
15. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS: DI JER’ZHAN NEWTON, ILLINOIS
16. CINCINNATI BENGALS: TE BROCK BOWERS, GEORGIA
17. ARIZONA CARDINALS (VIA HOU): ED DALLAS TURNER, ALABAMA
18. PITTSBURGH STEELERS: OT JC LATHAM, ALABAMA

19. GREEN BAY PACKERS: CB COOPER DEJEAN, IOWA
Record: 8-8
Top-100 picks: 5 (1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd)
Player ADP (via MDS): 20.5
This pick just makes too much sense. DeJean, who just officially declared for the draft, started at outside cornerback for Iowa in their off-coverage, Cover 3 base system. At 6-foot-1 and 207 pounds, he can body any type of receiver at the catch point, and his experience in off-coverage has allowed him to showcase his instincts, ball skills and playmaking ability. He’ll check the size and production requirements the Packers have for their secondary draftees.

20. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS: ED LAIATU LATU, UCLA
21. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: CB KOOL-AID MCKINSTRY, ALABAMA
22. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS: OL TROY FAUTANU, WASHINGTON
23. LOS ANGELES RAMS: OT AMARIUS MIMS, GEORGIA
24. BUFFALO BILLS: WR BRIAN THOMAS JR., LSU
25. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS: WR KEON COLEMAN, FLORIDA STATE
26. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES: CB TERRION ARNOLD, ALABAMA
27. DETROIT LIONS: ED BRALEN TRICE, WASHINGTON
28. HOUSTON TEXANS (VIA CLE): OL JORDAN MORGAN, ARIZONA
29. MIAMI DOLPHINS: OT TYLER GUYTON, OKLAHOMA
30. DALLAS COWBOYS: OL GRAHAM BARTON, DUKE
31. SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: CB ENNIS RAKESTRAW JR., MISSOURI
32. BALTIMORE RAVENS: CB QUINYON MITCHELL, TOLEDO

Yea, in this scenario I'd be using the two second rounders to move back up for one of the three Bama defenders to pair with DeJean. Come away with two impact defenders on day one. 

Can still fill holes with two third round picks and potentially two fourths. 

Edited by ReasonablySober

12 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

PFF updated their mock. 

1. CHICAGO BEARS (VIA CAR): QB CALEB WILLIAMS, USC
2. WASHINGTON COMMANDERS: QB DRAKE MAYE, NORTH CAROLINA
3. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: QB JAYDEN DANIELS, LSU
4. ARIZONA CARDINALS: WR MARVIN HARRISON JR., OHIO STATE
5. NEW YORK GIANTS: WR MALIK NABERS, LSU
6. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS: OT JOE ALT, NOTRE DAME
7. TENNESSEE TITANS: OT OLU FASHANU, PENN STATE
8. NEW YORK JETS: OT TALIESE FUAGA, OREGON STATE
9. ATLANTA FALCONS: QB MICHAEL PENIX JR., WASHINGTON
10. CHICAGO BEARS: WR ROME ODUNZE, WASHINGTON
11. LAS VEGAS RAIDERS: CB NATE WIGGINS, CLEMSON
12. MINNESOTA VIKINGS: QB BO NIX, OREGON
13. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS: ED JARED VERSE, FLORIDA STATE
14. DENVER BRONCOS: WR TROY FRANKLIN, OREGON
15. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS: DI JER’ZHAN NEWTON, ILLINOIS
16. CINCINNATI BENGALS: TE BROCK BOWERS, GEORGIA
17. ARIZONA CARDINALS (VIA HOU): ED DALLAS TURNER, ALABAMA
18. PITTSBURGH STEELERS: OT JC LATHAM, ALABAMA

19. GREEN BAY PACKERS: CB COOPER DEJEAN, IOWA
Record: 8-8
Top-100 picks: 5 (1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd)
Player ADP (via MDS): 20.5
This pick just makes too much sense. DeJean, who just officially declared for the draft, started at outside cornerback for Iowa in their off-coverage, Cover 3 base system. At 6-foot-1 and 207 pounds, he can body any type of receiver at the catch point, and his experience in off-coverage has allowed him to showcase his instincts, ball skills and playmaking ability. He’ll check the size and production requirements the Packers have for their secondary draftees.

20. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS: ED LAIATU LATU, UCLA
21. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: CB KOOL-AID MCKINSTRY, ALABAMA
22. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS: OL TROY FAUTANU, WASHINGTON
23. LOS ANGELES RAMS: OT AMARIUS MIMS, GEORGIA
24. BUFFALO BILLS: WR BRIAN THOMAS JR., LSU
25. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS: WR KEON COLEMAN, FLORIDA STATE
26. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES: CB TERRION ARNOLD, ALABAMA
27. DETROIT LIONS: ED BRALEN TRICE, WASHINGTON
28. HOUSTON TEXANS (VIA CLE): OL JORDAN MORGAN, ARIZONA
29. MIAMI DOLPHINS: OT TYLER GUYTON, OKLAHOMA
30. DALLAS COWBOYS: OL GRAHAM BARTON, DUKE
31. SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: CB ENNIS RAKESTRAW JR., MISSOURI
32. BALTIMORE RAVENS: CB QUINYON MITCHELL, TOLEDO

Yea, in this scenario I'd be using the two second rounders to move back up for one of the three Bama defenders to pair with DeJean. Come away with two impact defenders on day one. 

Can still fill holes with two third round picks and potentially two fourths. 

Hell no to that. There are still some really good OT's available and Kichens and Bullock at safety which are a bigger need to get two of those positions filled with quality players. TJ Tampa would also be there in round 2 as a solid CB selection. 

On 1/5/2024 at 12:24 PM, CWood21 said:

Kinda like there was no chance that Elgton Jenkins would go back to LG after finding success at RT?

I think it is a little closer to David Bakhtiari's best position being C, according to some, when he was drafted.

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Even with the improved play from Rasheed Walker and the potential belief we have our starting tackles for year, I'm still grabbing a T in round 2.

If Walker and Tom continue to shine next year you face the very real possibility, they will both be worthy of massive contracts. No capologist but not sure I'd be down for that. I' be tempted to explore moving one of them (Walker) and see how much I could get and roll with the second rounder in 2025. 

Tom and Walker are in year 2 of 4 of their rookie contracts, so signed through 2025.   Neither are FA until 2026.

54 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Hell no to that. There are still some really good OT's available and Kichens and Bullock at safety which are a bigger need to get two of those positions filled with quality players. TJ Tampa would also be there in round 2 as a solid CB selection. 

You listed a bunch of players a hell of a lot worse than DeJean. So we shouldn't take him so we can take worse players later? That doesn't make sense.

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You listed a bunch of players a hell of a lot worse than DeJean. So we shouldn't take him so we can take worse players later? That doesn't make sense.

Well, I think DeJean is going to be a slot CB. Also, we need a couple of safeties and I happen to like those two as deep safeties. 

By the way, the draft generally works where the further along you get in the draft, the worse the players you are able to acquire. 

I thought you would understand that concept. 

24 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Tom and Walker are in year 2 of 4 of their rookie contracts, so signed through 2025.   Neither are FA until 2026.

And neither will step foot on the field after year three if they've proven to be top notch tackles. Their agents will not allow it until extension is worked out. 

That is my thought/question. If both prove to be very good tackles, do we extend both or do we let the hypothetical 2nd round tackle in this year's draft take over one of those positions, likely Walkers. The cost to extend both would be pretty expensive. 

It also looks like the past two drafts are going to have a lot of guys needing second contracts. That will have to be taken into consideration. Like, Watson if he gets his hammy situation worked out. 

Edited by Old Guy

7 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Well, I think DeJean is going to be a slot CB. Also, we need a couple of safeties and I happen to like those two as deep safeties. 

By the way, the draft generally works where the further along you get in the draft, the worse the players you are able to acquire. 

I thought you would understand that concept. 

Your logic still isn't making any sense.