The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...

vike daddy

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Staying put would be the equivalent of everything we saw while Spielman was the GM. It’s playing it safe, and remaining mediocre as a result. 

Possibly but stay safe only fails if you fail to select good players.  Spielman had a lot of draft picks but he failed to select starters consistently especially later on which is why he was let go.   I compared the starters Green Bay has got in the draft potentially compared to the Vikings and it is a big difference in the past three drafts.  5 potential starters in the last three drafts for Minnesota arguably, Green Bay got 13-14 in that same three year span.  

Sure it could workout and JJ McCarthy will be this all time amazing pro, or Kwesi will basically be fired for the move if it fails.  If they take Drake Maye, still a chance to fail but less of a chance I would say because he is clearly the better athlete, more talented as a passer, more natural as a passer and has been through more difficult in college where JJ was usually playing in a 40-10 game more often than not.  

It is a big move but it fails that dude is probably fired.  

• Like 2

KAM is moving up to get a QB, its just a matter of how much is he going to pay. (Of course if CHI-WAS-NE not selling & ARI takes a ‘cheap’ NYG deal to still ensure they get a top WR at #6)

Move up = possible extension (for him)*

Move down = possibly no extension (for him)*

Stay put = possibly no extension (for him)*

*eventually, not this year

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Staying put would be the equivalent of everything we saw while Spielman was the GM. It’s playing it safe, and remaining mediocre as a result. 

And yet, most of you here wanted to keep Cousins and would defend him to the grave. Isn’t that the definition of playing it safe?

Staying at 11 and 23 pretty much assures you a shot at Penix, so I don’t see that as playing it safe. Better than sticking with what we had for the last 6 years. 

5 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

KAM is moving up to get a QB, its just a matter of how much is he going to pay. 

Move up = possible extension (for him)*

Move down = possibly no extension (for him)*

Stay put = possibly no extension (for him)*

*eventually, not this year

I personally don’t trade anything beyond the 11 and 23. If that isn’t good enough, then so be it. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Morlee said:

And yet, most of you here wanted to keep Cousins and would defend him to the grave. Isn’t that the definition of playing it safe?

Who has done that?

I preferred to keep him because I thought he would have been a good mentor, but obviously had no interest at that price.  I only defend him because he's been the most consistently good QB they've had for decades.

I think they have to identify their guy (or at least a couple of them that they feel could be it) and go get him.  Do what it takes to do so.  Take your swing.  This team has never taken a truly big swing in the draft in my lifetime.  Moss fell to them, they didn't go get him.  In fact, they've arguably only taken 2 really big swings in my football life...they hit on 1 (Favre), epically failed on the other (Herschel). 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

He GM's job is evaluated on a zillion things by guys that have billions of dollars.  The #1 thing KAM has to do is make money for the owners.   Then, he has to build a roster than can win lots of playoff games to ensure his longevity.

I don't think the guy plays it safe, like last year when he drafted Addison.   That one surprised me, but it was a heckuva pick.  So, this year the Vikes have #11, #23, #108, #129, #157, & #167 in Rds 1-4.  

If KAM picks Turner/Verse at 11 and Murphy/Newton at 23, I'd be surprised - but ecstatic.

If he then bundled 108 with later picks to move up and grab Mason McCormick (who punched-out 32 reps the other day) as well as bundling 129 with later picks to move up and grab Milton, Travis or Pratt, what's not to like?   Love, maybe not?   But, a strategy like that would be solid . . . And scrutinized.  

Nonetheless . . . It'll be an exciting month!!

There is a reason why there are 4 QB’s being discussed at the top of this draft. I’m sure they have studied multiple years of tape on all 4 guys. ( probably all 6)

I’m all for trading up for either Maye or McCarthy. Whoever falls to 4. 

if for some reason we stay at 11 and take a QB, It would be Bo Nix. If I’m drafting an older QB, I’m taking the QB that has had a completion percentage over 70 the past 2 years. He has showed improvements in the right area. I believe he could shine in our system. Plus, I would then add a O-lineman at pick 23 that would only help our QB.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Morlee said:

Staying at 11 and 23 pretty much assures you a shot at Penix, so I don’t see that as playing it safe. Better than sticking with what we had for the last 6 years. 

I agree, and if in NFL circles teams are super afraid of Penix because of the injuries, then getting him at the 23rd pick would be even better and cheaper.  Then could get a starting OG, CB or DL at #11.  

Penix Jr has played 28 straight games over the past two years for Washington and sure was banged up like any football player but never missed a game and played in difficult weather conditions at times.

2018 true freshman on Indiana, played three games and tore his right ACL and was redshirted out the rest of the season
2019 starter after previous injury but only played 6 games because he hurt his shoulder and was out the rest of the season
2020 starter and played 6 games but was hurt and tore his right ACL again and was out the rest of the season. (COVID season)
2021 was not the full time starter, Indiana played four QBs that year, he started in five games that year and was not injured

It will be interesting what happens but if Penix falls that is great, only thing is what if the Raiders take him or Seattle, New Orleans or the Rams before the Vikings pick.  

I am glad they did move on from Cousins and a chance to reset a bit and do something else at the position.  What is worse, a ACL tear or an Achilles tear?  Penix had two ACL tears, Cousins recently the torn Achilles.  From what I have read it is absolutely an Achilles is much worse than a ACL tear, and there is a 12 year age difference between the two as well.   

1 hour ago, Vikes22 said:

There is a reason why there are 4 QB’s being discussed at the top of this draft. I’m sure they have studied multiple years of tape on all 4 guys. ( probably all 6)

if for some reason we stay at 11 and take a QB, It would be Bo Nix. If I’m drafting an older QB, I’m taking the QB that has had a completion percentage over 70 the past 2 years. He has showed improvements in the right area. I believe he could shine in our system. Plus, I would then add a O-lineman at pick 23 that would only help our QB.

Of the top 6 QBs, the QB I have least interest in is Bo Nix.  His average depth of throw is extremely shorter than any of the 6 and nearly 70% of his throws were less than 10 yds (and 30% were behind the LOS).  He's not just Captain Checkdown, he's Colonel Checkdown. 

Edited by swede700

2 hours ago, Morlee said:

I would have loved for us to keep Cousins and draft a QB, but as we got further into the process, it seemed clear that this wasn't going to happen.

...and Atlanta probably got away with tampering too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vikes22 said:

I agree with everything but Nix. I don't care for him, and I really don't care for Oregon's stupid offensive system.

I'm good with either Maye or McCarthy. The former looks to have the higher ceiling and the latter a higher floor. 

10 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I agree with everything but Nix. I don't care for him, and I really don't care for Oregon's stupid offensive system.

I'm good with either Maye or McCarthy. The former looks to have the higher ceiling and the latter a higher floor. 

But, I think Nix would be fine in a normal system. Not his fault that Oregon’s system is not very friendly down the field.

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Of the top 6 QBs, the QB I have least interest in is Bo Nix.  His average depth of throw is extremely shorter than any of the 6 and nearly 70% of his throws were less than 10 yds (and 30% were behind the LOS).  He's not just Captain Checkdown, he's Colonel Checkdown. 

so, we hold his offense against him, but we just say "McCarthy wasn't allowed to pass"? Seems a bit unfair....They ran an offense with a lot of short throws...at least they didn't spend an entire half not letting their QB even throw one pass...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Morlee said:

I was for keeping Cousins the player as he is a good fit in O'Connells scheme and he would have allowed a rookie to sit and learn.  I was not for keeping Cousins on a contract with a lot of guaranteed money and more than two years in length. Cousins followed the guaranteed money...I don't blame him and I wish him well. The Vikings did the right thing in trying to keep him on an acceptable contract for the team.  I  am pleased with them sticking to their guns and thinking about the future.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

so, we hold his offense against him, but we just say "McCarthy wasn't allowed to pass"? Seems a bit unfair....They ran an offense with a lot of short throws...at least they didn't spend an entire half not letting their QB even throw one pass...

Well, there is a difference.  Oregon runs an RPO-style offense while Michigan ran a pro-style offense, so yes.  It may be unfair, but when Nix ran a pro-style offense at Auburn, he just wasn't very good. 

• Like 1