Do It Better Than Them 2023

e16bball

This is something I used to do in the long-forgotten past, but I think it’s a kinda fun exercise. It can be a great one to look back on, if anyone has the foresight to bookmark it for prosperity. 

The goal is simple. Using the Commanders’ picks in this draft (16, 47, 97, 118, 137, 193, and 233), put together your perfect draft given the way the board actually fell. At every pick, you get the benefit of knowing how the rest of the draft turned out, so you’ve got a nice advantage on the team. You can take anyone on the board — and it doesn’t have to be who you would have taken in real time, you can give it some (after) thought.

The one thing you can’t do is trade picks. No idea what offers were or weren’t on the table at every pick, so you’re limited to the picks they used and the guys who were on the board at that time.

Click here for an easily viewable list of all the picks in order. And feel free to copy/paste the following for an easy template to enter your picks on:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

16.  Anton Harrison

47.  John Michael Schmitz

97.  Kelee Ringo

118. Braeden Daniels

137. KJ Henry

193. Dee Winters

233. Kenny McIntosh

This is shockingly close to what I’ve been batting around in my head.

• Like 2

16. CB Christian Gonzalez

47. OG O’Cyrus Torrence

97. OT Dawand Jones

118. DE Isaiah McGuire

137. TE Will Mallory

193. S Demarco Hellams

233. RB Keaton Mitchell

It’s really a shame, because the draft just didn’t fall right for us to land a lot of my favorites. But we knew that was probably going to happen, as we only had one pick in the area I thought was great for us (picks 25-75). 

In the end, I couldn’t resist gambling on Dawand Jones’s talent in the late 3rd. I could have gone with either Torrence or JM Schmitz at 47, as I think they both are good players, and I like adding a solid starter along with the dice roll on Big Thanos.

For me, I’m not real down on Forbes, but I think the physical toolbox of Gonzalez gives him more upside. I just worry about that slight frame trying to tangle with physical freaks like AJ Brown. Can he be bullied? I don’t have that fear with Gonzalez. 

On Day 3, was looking for (even) more speed on offense and also like Isaiah McGuire as a potential future starter as a 4-3 DE.

45 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I don't think either of these fit for a zone blocking scheme. 

Trey Smith and Orlando Brown started for Bieniemy’s offense last season, both of whom are absolutely enormous. Trey is a very good athlete for his size, I suppose, which Torrence isn’t really. But Lil Zeus isn’t, and they still seemed to fare pretty well with him at LT. 

Sticking with Dawand. You don’t find talent like that at pick 97 very often. Sad that he blew his shot at a much, much higher draft pick. But I could be talked into swapping in Cody Mauch as a better athlete at OG, though. Or just hitting OC with John Michael Schmitz, (though for the record I actually like Stromberg a lot more than I thought I would).

• Like 2

Ahh, I think I did this last year. At least for the first two rounds. I was in on DT Jordan Davis if we stayed still and I think LB Devin Lloyd if we traded down. And then a WR in the second. I think WR George Pickens or WR Skyy Moore. I was also high WR Khalil Shakir in the fifth round. This year the choice isn't as obvious because no offensive lineman fell to us in the first round. Obviously, hindsight is 20/20 but not grabbing an offensive lineman in either the first or second round was offensive when we needed some so bad. The ones we selected in the third and fourth round do not impress me whatsoever. I also did not do as much tape watching as I did in previous years and are pretty much going off of prospect 'archetypes' 

16. CB Deonte Banks, Maryland

47. IOL O'Cyrus Torrence, Florida 

97. RB Roschon Johnson, Texas

118. TE Josh Whyle, Cincinatti 

137. RB/KR Israel Abanikanda, Pittsburgh

193. K Anders Carlson, Auburn

233. OG Andrew Vorhees, USC

Obviously not as defense oriented as much as they went. I feel fine with our EDGE depth with JSW playing a lot last year. Obviously double dipping on RB is a little off the wall but I could not pass up the value of Israel in the fifth round and he can potentially return kicks as well.  

I definitely understand the "no trades" piece to this, but I would have done the trade with the patriots in a heartbeat to get Broderick Jones, 16+118 for 14.  Can't imagine they wouldnt have taken it, get a 4th rounder 2 picks higher.  

That said, rules is rules...

16.  Christian Gonzales, CB

47.  John Michael Schmitz, C

97.  Dawand Jones, OT

118.  Dorian Thompson-Robinson, QB

137.  Noah Sewell, LB

193.  Zack Kuntz, TE

233.  Anthony Johnson, S

16. Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon

47. O'Cyrus Torrence, OG, Florida

97. Dawand Jones, RT, THE Ohio State

118. Ventrel Miller, LB, Florida