Packers extend QB Jordan Love (1 year, $22.5M, $13.5M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

25 minutes ago, CanadianPatriot said:

Hmm, interesting that both sides went this route instead of the 5th year option. If I understand correctly, this would give Love an additional $2.0-2.5M in total money compared to the 5th year option (assuming Love plays well enough not to be released) but the downside is that it isn't fully guaranteed like the 5th year option would be? If there's a signing bonus, I believe that it would also slightly increase this year's cap hit but also have a hit smaller than the full $20M next year. Could turn out to be a win-win for both sides.

There's a psychological aspect to it as well, if the Packers weren't fully comfortable giving the 5th year option, the extension is at least an indication to Love that they believe in him and want him on the team while also giving him a chance to earn a bit more money if his play lives up to expectations. Declining the 5th year option outright would have given mixed signals to Love in the sense that they got rid of Rodgers for him but weren't confident enough to commit to the 5th year, it would have been awkward. This seems like a solid compromise, it'll be interesting to look back on it a year from now to see how it worked out.

Yeah, don't overthink it.

GB wants Love to succeed and be their long term QB.  They can't rush into big money and huge cap hits just yet.

So they offered the kid more money, now, as opposed to having him wait for it.  While putting some incentives in there that can push his payout higher.

It was a solid move by the front office.

It isn't the same thing, but when Rodgers started early and played well, GB gave him a new deal pretty quickly to compensate him for his level of play.  Hoping Love plays well and gets the same treatment.

And for us GB fans who have been around a while....again....this is nothing new for us.  This is a similar blueprint we used with Rodgers when he was a young starter.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Love gets more than $10million in his pocket TODAY by signing this. That's attractive to anyone.

If Love believes in himself, he also increased the overall money by $2.5 million.

GB and Love both benefit by creating an additional $7ish million in cap space in 2024 by fitting more into the cap this year (made possible by a Darnell Savage void year restructure). We're carrying all of Rodgers dead cap ($40mil) in 2023, so giving cap flexibility in Love's 2nd year is attractive to both parties. Can build an even better team around him next year now because of this. 

Bottom line: Love gets more money overall if he bets on himself, a LOT more money today regardless. GB gets less guaranteed money risk if Love isn't the guy ($7mil), more 2024 cap flexibility if Love is the guy ($7mil) and paid a couple million extra to do so if they keep Love around in 2024.

Win/win

I get what you are saying here, but....

But....I've read a lot about how inept, incompetent and flat out stupid that Gute is.....  So odds are he will screw up the filing of the new deal or something like that, right?

48 minutes ago, Soko said:

Smart move for both sides, tbh.

Love hedges his upside a little bit in exchange for some more security. He runs the risk of having a really nice 2023 and a crappy 2024, but in all likelihood, if he plays well this year then GB will look to extend him next offseason. 

Green Bay potentially gives up a few extra dollars (in the event Love sucks) but potentially saves themselves a crap ton more (in the event he has a Geno Smith+ season and they need to tag him). 

Still not a fan of giving a guy who's never played for an extended period any sort of extension. Never really thought the fifth year option was viable to begin with. If he sucks its just throwing away money, if he's good he's gonna want close to 50 million a year anyways.

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I get what you are saying here, but....

But....I've read a lot about how inept, incompetent and flat out stupid that Gute is.....  So odds are he will screw up the filing of the new deal or something like that, right?

We'd have a Gute suit riot on our hands

(throw back a bottle of beer)

Edited by incognito_man

33 minutes ago, malak1 said:

He has basically zero leverage and it's a nice bump in pay for an unproven player. He would be dumb not to sign it. 

This works for Love if he plays poorly next year. Anything above average and he'd have multiple teams bidding for his services at a much higher rate.

What mid-20s starting QB wouldn't want to hit FA? 

13 minutes ago, Jameson_Neat said:

This works for Love if he plays poorly next year. Anything above average and he'd have multiple teams bidding for his services at a much higher rate.

What mid-20s starting QB wouldn't want to hit FA? 

He wouldn't hit FA if he plays well. 

Edited by malak1

21 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Still not a fan of giving a guy who's never played for an extended period any sort of extension. Never really thought the fifth year option was viable to begin with. If he sucks its just throwing away money, if he's good he's gonna want close to 50 million a year anyways.

If he struggles and you think he’s salvageable, you buy yourself another year of evaluation. 

If he’s good and you want him extended, it saves you from using the tag and buys you another year. 

If he’s outright terrible then you spend $13M on insurance against the two former outcomes. The insurance is worth that.

20 minutes ago, malak1 said:

He wouldn't hit FA if he plays well. 

I always forget it's a year earlier than it sounds. Either way, I'd gladly bet on myself in that scenario.

Its a good deal on GBs end, no doubt. 

EDIT: Probably talking about the tag, and I really don't are about contracts, but overall it just seems much more of a win for the team than the player. 

Edited by Jameson_Neat

6 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Win-win 

This. Anyone bitching needs to STFU. 

It gives Love security to know he's basically a 2 year starter while getting more money up front. While also locking in Love for 2 years (traded Rodgers) no choice really at a rate not having to Franchise him next year!

Great for both sides assuming Love is 1/2 the FQB they believe him to be!

• Like 2