2023 Rookie Minicamp / OTAs / Training Camp

Leader

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Who knew you could complete passes over the middle of the field?

The answer is, every quarterback in the NFL except Aaron Rodgers, Alex.

I'll now take Best Quarterbacks to Choke Away Playoff Games for $500.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Biggest news seems to be Tom gets starting nod at RT, Ford at safety and Garvin was repping with the DL. I saw a picture where he looked pretty big but I’d like to know where he’s weighing in for camp. 

How much weight could he have added? I don't see him being able to anchor in the run game. That would make him a situational guy only and we drafted at least one of those guys this year. Not sure you can keep more than one of those type. 

@ThatJerkDave

Of note, Jonathan Garvin, previously an edge rusher, was working out with the interior defenders today. His path to making the roster at edge rusher is a difficult one to say the least. In fact, he could be as low as the eighth man on the depth chart. But the back end of the defensive line room is more open. This also may be a last effort by the coaching staff to find some sort of role for him.

Big one for me....

— The wind was quartering from the right and behind Carlson on his field goal attempts, but he finished the day making 5-of-6, all between 40 and 45 yards. As I said after minicamp, he packs some power. Pat O’Donnell was his holder on those attempts.

This too, because I'm a Wicks fan.

— I suspect that Dontayvion Wicks’ role will be somewhat limited this season, given that between the receivers ahead of him, as well as the tight ends and running backs being used in the passing game, but he is really fun to watch. Although not speed like Jayden Reed or Christian Watson, he knows how to create space with his releases and route running abilities.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

@ThatJerkDave

Of note, Jonathan Garvin, previously an edge rusher, was working out with the interior defenders today. His path to making the roster at edge rusher is a difficult one to say the least. In fact, he could be as low as the eighth man on the depth chart. But the back end of the defensive line room is more open. This also may be a last effort by the coaching staff to find some sort of role for him.

I think that his path to the team was Gary being hurt and out playing the 5,6,7 guys.  Always the kind of player that I would give as many chances to as I could, especially given his age.  But it is most likely time.  If he is playing on the DL, he is likely competing with Brooks and Wooden, and even Van Ness.  Most likely give the inside track to the more recent, and higher, draft picks.  

Wished he would have hit.  But he didn't.  That's the breaks.

I also won't be surprised if another one of my guys, Patrick Taylor, is in his last camp with the Packers.  Lew Nichols pretty much does what Patrick Taylor does.  I still think our best roster management would be to keep 2 RBs and try to get Goodson, Nichols, and Taylor back on the PS.  But they may just see Taylor like they saw Benkert.  They know what he is, and don't need a lot more development.  

2 hours ago, Refugee said:

...With the RB market being what it is, take advantage and get a cheap veteran and a talented rookie every other year. Rinse, repeat. 

I think the flip logic on this might be that given the soft market for RB's, it won't cost much to sign or extend experienced guys.  Every veteran RB is cheap.  Dillon's not going to cost much, Vegas suggested $15/3 for him.  Hardly a budget-buster extension.  No idea what Gute will do, and I'm not preaching any path.  Just noting that given that backs don't cost much, it's not that debilitating or necessarily illogical if Gute chooses to sign a veteran at a modest price.   

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, craig said:

I think the flip logic on this might be that given the soft market for RB's, it won't cost much to sign or extend experienced guys.  Every veteran RB is cheap.  Dillon's not going to cost much, Vegas suggested $15/3 for him.  Hardly a budget-buster extension.  No idea what Gute will do, and I'm not preaching any path.  Just noting that given that backs don't cost much, it's not that debilitating or necessarily illogical if Gute chooses to sign a veteran at a modest price.   

I don’t think that’s a flip logic, I’m down to sign AJD if he’s the cheap veteran. I just don’t see any reason for an expensive vet, especially if you’ve got the pipeline of talent flowing. Not cool for the player, but good business to make the team more competitive. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

@ThatJerkDave

Garvin, an IDL? I would think he'd need to bulk up by at least twenty pounds to not be a liability there. I would've thought if he was going to be shifted anywhere, it would be to ILB. At least there the weight and frame translate better(to an extent; remember Brad Jones).

40 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I don’t think that’s a flip logic, I’m down to sign AJD if he’s the cheap veteran. I just don’t see any reason for an expensive vet, especially if you’ve got the pipeline of talent flowing. Not cool for the player, but good business to make the team more competitive. 

When your pipeline is Patrick Taylor, Dexter Hill, and Kylin Hill, and Lew Ford, I'm not sure we've got a pipeline flowing!  Yes there are 3rd-day backs who do well, as we know from Jones and Starks.  But Alex Green and his friends tell me that a lot of RB's miss.  Best wishes to Ford, I hope he's a fun surprise.  And I admit I'm kinda optimistic for Goodson.  But I'm not that confident that our current next-man-up pipeline is very well equipped.