Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

signing love after the season when he's already signed next year and can be franchise tagged the following would be a mistake.

No reason to jump into any (even small) commitment beyond 2024.  Make him show you.

He shows you, it costs you.

If you believe he will show you, you get value. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, malak1 said:

Which skill players are you game planning against when you play carolina or texas. The dude is kind of a psycho, but he's right, most starting rookie QBs enter into really bad situations. 

Love isn't a starting rookie QB. His closest comparison is Rodgers is 2008. He had a hell of a cast behind him. 

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Love isn't a starting rookie QB. His closest comparison is Rodgers is 2008. He had a hell of a cast behind him. 

This only buttresses MacReady's point. True rookie starting QBs often enter the league with a below average-poor cast of offensive skill players and perform similar, and sometimes better, than Love is performing thus far. 

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Correct.

Minimal risk and reward for doing things the safe way. Large amount of risk/reward from betting on what you think will happen. 

Though Jordan Love is a better QB than Jones. 

idk that you can say that for sure yet, and I really hate Daniel Jones, but he also isn't quite as bad as he looked this year.

I think there's value in a Hurts/Lamar Jackson/Burrow contract - There isn't really value in the bottom level of that tier in Daniel Jones - but you don't pay a huge premium to upgrade from the Jones contract to the Lamar Jackson contract, and yet you get a much much better QB.  

Jordan Love, unless he really turns on the gas end of this season/heading into next is gonna be hard pressed to hit that tier of player.  he's already too expensive for being so inexperienced.  He's not too old per se, he's just too old under the CBA.

The risk/reward point is spot on - obviously you have to take a contrarian stance somewhere on your cap to get some value.  

How's the saying go?  Even an outpost stuck in time is right once every trip around the world?

2 hours ago, MacReady said:

What you continue to neglect is the poor state of every roster who gets their franchise QB.

Teams get franchise quarterbacks because their teams suck the year before.

Allen had nobody at WR when he came in. Lawrence still has nobody. Daniel Jones never - EVER - had an elite or even GOOD #1 receiver. Lawrence had perhaps the worst NFL head coach for a rookie QB in a decade. Goff had a terrible coach and no receivers.

None of these quarterbacks are coming in in their FIRST YEAR (not fourth like Love), and they still looked significantly more promising.

I can acknowledge that things might change for Love. What NOBODY here acknowledges is that these issues Love is facing have not been limited to him. He is in a perfectly ordinary team for a first year starting QB. He has the benefit of having an offensive minded head coach plus four full training camps to sit and learn from a Hall of Fame quarterback who was VERY good to him.

These are all luxuries others did NOT have, and Still Love is performing worse than them

You and @incognito_man can huff and puff at my black and white conclusions on Love, and that’s fair. I have written him off too early. What’s not fair is that neither of you can acknowledge that these roster shortcomings are typical, not extraordinary. Further, Love’s offensive head coach is a luxury. Finally, four full training camps is a luxury not afforded to potential franchise quarterbacks who start immediately.

Stop citing the supporting cast. His supporting cast is typical. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Buffalo_Bills_season

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Jacksonville_Jaguars_season

To neglect four entire training camps of being prepared is irrational. To neglect a good coaching staff (as far as offense, I will grant I have plenty of issues with LaFleur overall), and the paltry state of all first year starting quarterbacks is just as unfair and irrational as me writing him off after one year.

I thought the skill players were like the least experienced in the NFL for a couple decades. Did I read that wrong? 

If so, that's a key difference versus the other examples. If not, Love certainly needs to improve before he's the answer. 

1 minute ago, Smidgeon said:

I thought the skill players were like the least experienced in the NFL for a couple decades. Did I read that wrong? 

If so, that's a key difference versus the other examples. If not, Love certainly needs to improve before he's the answer. 

My issue with blaming the support is he has badly missed wide open players.

4 hours ago, MacReady said:

Let’s be realistic 

These are extremely legitimate concerns about Love. He has displayed zero downfield accuracy. He has failed to hit open receivers. He has no touch on ordinary throws.

Let's recap,

He led the NCAA in interceptions in his final year at Col St.

Spent 3 trying camps often getting a majority of snaps even with Rodgers here.

Led the NFL in interceptions in preseason in 2022. 

Currently among the bottom in NFL pass percentage. 

Downfield accuracy issues 

Going on 4 years in, when does the light come on??? 

As I said 2 years ago, career backup, this guy isn't taking you anywhere and he wont.

The Packers need to find a QB, that's OK, it happens more often than not. You can keep him on the side if you want, but he taking you nowhere.  

Face it, It doesn't take a lot of QB talent to match what this guy is doing.  

1 minute ago, NFLGURU said:

Let's recap,

He led the NCAA in interceptions in his final year at Col St.

Spent 3 trying camps often getting a majority of snaps even with Rodgers here.

Led the NFL in interceptions in preseason in 2022. 

Currently among the bottom in NFL pass percentage. 

Downfield accuracy issues 

Going on 4 years in, when does the light come on??? 

As I said 2 years ago, career backup, this guy isn't taking you anywhere and he wont.

The Packers need to find a QB, that's OK, it happens more often than not. You can keep him on the side if you want, but he taking you nowhere.  

Face it, It doesn't take a lot of QB talent to match what this guy is doing.  

I read he led the team in INT's in the 2010 Bakersfield, CA 9th Annual Flag Football Turkey Bowl too.