Jokic have GOAT potential?

NeptunePenguins

Offensively, absolutely. Overall, he's not going to be considered a GOAT candidate unless he does a crazy amount of winning from this point forward. Based on pure impact, he can certainly enter the conversation someday.

Definitely has potential to but as others have said he needs rings.  I think he ends up in the top 10 all time area but it gets hard pushing any of those guys out if he doesn't get at least 2/3 rings.   Would also help if he can improve on D since all of the greats in that area were really good to great defenders as well.  

Offensively? Absolutely. His impact on a team overall because of his offensive capabilities is nearly unprecedented overall, let alone for a C. As long as he wins a title (or more), then it'll be hard to argue against him as the greatest offensive big man ever. Hell, maybe even greatest offensive player ever.

Overall? Could be tougher. Think of all the all-time great big men. Not a single one was just an average defender. Even the 2 weakest defenders among the all-timers, Shaq and Moses Malone, made multiple All-Defense teams. However, what he does on offense more than makes up for it in my mind.

It will probably depend on who you ask and what they prefer. As long as Jokic is never a true liability on the biggest stages, as in getting taking advantage of over and over again and that leading to series losses, then his average defense should be more than offset by what he does on offense when people rank the big men. If he does get abused and Denver never gets a title (or if they only get 1 and his defense is a big reason why), then I doubt he will penetrate many people's top 10.

Edited by seminoles1

I'm not sure how I feel because everything we see from him is he is one of the most impactful guys ever, but ultimately the team hasn't done much yet. But we've seen the other top guys lead their teams usually to multiple championships. I'm not one who judges much on championships because I feel they are team rather than player stats, but I also can't say I've seen him dragging his team even in a loss (which isn't to say he hasn't played well in a series where they lost, only that I haven't really seen him make it closer than it should be). I have a hard time seeing him enter the actual GOAT conversation, but he can absolutely get to the top 15 maybe top 10 ever conversation.

46 minutes ago, mse326 said:

I'm not sure how I feel because everything we see from him is he is one of the most impactful guys ever, but ultimately the team hasn't done much yet. But we've seen the other top guys lead their teams usually to multiple championships. I'm not one who judges much on championships because I feel they are team rather than player stats, but I also can't say I've seen him dragging his team even in a loss (which isn't to say he hasn't played well in a series where they lost, only that I haven't really seen him make it closer than it should be). I have a hard time seeing him enter the actual GOAT conversation, but he can absolutely get to the top 15 maybe top 10 ever conversation.

He's never played with an All Star in his entire career. Issue solved.

7 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

He's already too old to rack up GOAT accolades, but he is definitely the best player drafted in the 2010s. I don't think BPM is everything, so I wouldn't go as far as saying he's better than Curry or Durant.

Give me this Jokic over any version of Durant.

• Like 1

He'll be ranked around the same (a little higher) as Kevin Garnett or Dirk, but not as high as Shaq/Duncan unless he gets at least 3 rings. Right now he's sort of the Dan Marino of the NBA. He should form a super team with Luka.

Edited by Jeezla

14 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

No.  Hell of a player.  Perhaps the best of his generation (having Lebron in an older generation), but he'll be hard pressed to break the top 10.

It's difficult for anyone to break into the top 10 but there are a handful of guys there that I think Jokic has a shot at a passing.