2018 Off-Season Prediction

lavar703

So, we've all come to realize the injuries really de-railed this season.  While I've noticed a ton of coaching mistakes it doesn't appear that Jay Gruden will be going anywhere until at least 2019 so for the sake of this prediction Jay will be returning.

Kirk Cousins- This is the big one.  I'm going to assume that if they need the last 6 games to evaluate whether or not he's a franchise guy that that means they're not sold on him going forward.  I honestly don't know what they're looking for but I still think somehow this thing gets resolved with the Redskins realizing the potential damage that could be done by letting Kirk walk simply isn't worth risking. They FINALLY come to terms on a long term contract that gives Kirk the guarantees he so desperately wants.

Zach Brown- While @footy_29 is not a very big fan of Browns, I simply cannot see a viable solution if we let him walk.  Compton is game mentally but his physical limitations keep him from making plays. Mason Fosters outburst certainly puts his re-signing with the club in major doubt and Spaight is simply a back up.  I'd say Brown signs for somewhere around $8-9M annually.                                      

Bashaud Breeland- I didn't think it was a good sign for his future when the team drafted Fuller last year and I think the team basically said they weren't going to bring him back with the drafting of Moreau.  He's a decent corner but he's simply not capable of shadowing another teams top receiver.  I assume he'll end up in Carolina or possibly Atlanta but I just don't see anyway he's back with the Redskins.

Terrelle Pryor- He basically had the worst possible season you could imagine for a guy looking to break the bank. I can't imagine a scenario in which he returns.  

Trent Murphy- I think they'll let him walk.  His best season came while using PEDs and outside of that he was dreadful.

Nick Rose- If he hasn't won this competition already then I have no idea what to think? He's a pretty damn good kicker. The Redskins lucked out on this one.

Under the Radar Re-signings
Ryan Grant
Phil Taylor
Junior Galette- Sorry @MKnight82

Allowed to Walk
Shaun Lauvao
Niles Paul
Will Compton
Mason Foster
Brian Quick
Spencer Long
Dustin Hopkins

2018 Free Agency
Sammy Watkins- This is what Bruce likes to do.  While I'd love to see the team make a play for someone like Jarvis Landry they'll more than likely go cheap here and get Watkins at around $4-5M for a year deal.

Andrew Norwell- This will be their Bruce Allen sort of big money deal.  He'll move into LG and play next to Trent and Rouillier.  

Carlos Hyde- Yet again, another cheap one year contract.

Kyle Fuller- I've felt he's coming back home for awhile now.  He hasn't really seemed to work out well for the Bears and the Fuller brothers seem to be a close bunch.  

2018 NFL Draft
Round 1:Roquan Smith ILB- The Redskins go with Smith who can make up for Browns coverage issues.  He's a bit undersized but his speed and playmaking ability next to Browns speed will be something to see.

Round 2: Vita Vea NT- While I think the Redskins could go with Vea in the first round I think he'll still be around in the second due to teams not really looking at NT as a serious value. 

Round 3: Da'Shawn Hand DE- The Redskins go back to the Alabama well here and get a player with all-world talent.  While he's struggled to live up to the hype I think Tomsula can unleash the ability he has. 

Round 4: Terrell Edmunds S- He's a fiece hitter who sometimes gets himself into trouble with headshots but he's learning.  The Redskins seem to like the Va Tech defensive back well so they go back to DBU once again and get an enforcer.

Round 5: Martez Carter RB- He's a CT25 clone which Gruden will absolutely love.  

Round 6: Austin Proehl WR- Tough kid who probably would go undrafted if not picked here but he would probably survive on the practice squad and could develop nicely due to good route running and tremendous hands.

Round 7: Ike Boettger OT- Would probably go higher in the draft if not for the injury but you simply cannot pass up the value here.  Will most likely be a career back up but as we've found out depth along the OL is very important.

This is just an idea of what I think will happen.  There's a lot of things I would do differently but I'm trying to base this off of what Bruce has done lately.  He doesn't spend in free agency but he has gone heavy defense in the draft.  I really do think this team will focus heavily on that side of the ball again in the draft.

I don't hate this:

• Signing Zach Brown is a must, but they cannot afford (no pun intended) to overpay him.
  • I'm happy with letting Bashaud Breeland walk because he will get PAID. Need to see what we have in Moreau/Holsey, plus, we Fuller/Dunbar have played admirably.
  • Phil Taylor/Junior Galette signings seem unnecessary to me with the injury concerns, but I can't see them costing much to keep. I'd prefer to get younger...
  • I think Trent Murphy could be kept for cheap-ish and he was playing well before he got suspended/hurt...I just don't believe Ryan Anderson will do anything.
  • Doubt we could get a guy like Sammy Watkins for $4-$5M/year, but I'd take it.
  • Love the draft...would really bolster our D with much needed talent

6 hours ago, lavar703 said:

So, we've all come to realize the injuries really de-railed this season.  While I've noticed a ton of coaching mistakes it doesn't appear that Jay Gruden will be going anywhere until at least 2019 so for the sake of this prediction Jay will be returning.

Kirk Cousins- This is the big one.  I'm going to assume that if they need the last 6 games to evaluate whether or not he's a franchise guy that that means they're not sold on him going forward.  I honestly don't know what they're looking for but I still think somehow this thing gets resolved with the Redskins realizing the potential damage that could be done by letting Kirk walk simply isn't worth risking. They FINALLY come to terms on a long term contract that gives Kirk the guarantees he so desperately wants.

Zach Brown- While @footy_29 is not a very big fan of Browns, I simply cannot see a viable solution if we let him walk.  Compton is game mentally but his physical limitations keep him from making plays. Mason Fosters outburst certainly puts his re-signing with the club in major doubt and Spaight is simply a back up.  I'd say Brown signs for somewhere around $8-9M annually.                                      

Bashaud Breeland- I didn't think it was a good sign for his future when the team drafted Fuller last year and I think the team basically said they weren't going to bring him back with the drafting of Moreau.  He's a decent corner but he's simply not capable of shadowing another teams top receiver.  I assume he'll end up in Carolina or possibly Atlanta but I just don't see anyway he's back with the Redskins.

Terrelle Pryor- He basically had the worst possible season you could imagine for a guy looking to break the bank. I can't imagine a scenario in which he returns.  

Trent Murphy- I think they'll let him walk.  His best season came while using PEDs and outside of that he was dreadful.

Nick Rose- If he hasn't won this competition already then I have no idea what to think? He's a pretty damn good kicker. The Redskins lucked out on this one.

Ryan Grant
Phil Taylor

Allowed to Walk
Shaun Lauvao
Niles Paul
Will Compton
Mason Foster
Brian Quick
Spencer Long
Dustin Hopkins

2018 Free Agency
Sammy Watkins- This is what Bruce likes to do.  While I'd love to see the team make a play for someone like Jarvis Landry they'll more than likely go cheap here and get Watkins at around $4-5M for a year deal.

Andrew Norwell- This will be their Bruce Allen sort of big money deal.  He'll move into LG and play next to Trent and Rouillier.  

Kyle Fuller- I've felt he's coming back home for awhile now.  He hasn't really seemed to work out well for the Bears and the Fuller brothers seem to be a close bunch.  

2018 NFL Draft
Round 1:Roquan Smith ILB- The Redskins go with Smith who can make up for Browns coverage issues.  He's a bit undersized but his speed and playmaking ability next to Browns speed will be something to see.

Round 2: Vita Vea NT- While I think the Redskins could go with Vea in the first round I think he'll still be around in the second due to teams not really looking at NT as a serious value. 

Round 3: Da'Shawn Hand DE- The Redskins go back to the Alabama well here and get a player with all-world talent.  While he's struggled to live up to the hype I think Tomsula can unleash the ability he has. 

Round 4: Terrell Edmunds S- He's a fiece hitter who sometimes gets himself into trouble with headshots but he's learning.  The Redskins seem to like the Va Tech defensive back well so they go back to DBU once again and get an enforcer.

Round 6: Austin Proehl WR- Tough kid who probably would go undrafted if not picked here but he would probably survive on the practice squad and could develop nicely due to good route running and tremendous hands.

Round 7: Ike Boettger OT- Would probably go higher in the draft if not for the injury but you simply cannot pass up the value here.  Will most likely be a career back up but as we've found out depth along the OL is very important.

This is just an idea of what I think will happen.  There's a lot of things I would do differently but I'm trying to base this off of what Bruce has done lately.  He doesn't spend in free agency but he has gone heavy defense in the draft.  I really do think this team will focus heavily on that side of the ball again in the draft.

I like the moves 

7 hours ago, lavar703 said:

1. It's kind of unfair to judge Cousins with the chewing gum and baling wire offensive line in front of him.
  2. Even if you ignore that, if they need five more games to evaluate him, I don't know what to tell you. He's put up a strong enough of resume to date that this should be a no brainer at this point. Essentially, they're looking for any reason to let him walk in order to save their asses.

In short, the Redskins look to be the first franchise to let an upper tier, uninjured, in his prime QB walk out the door. For no compensation. The sheer brilliance of the move is blinding.O.o

8 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I can work with this. I originally objected to the price, but looking at AAVs around the league, that might be underselling his market value.

They're likely going to get priced out of what Breeland will get on the market. However, the team would be fools not to offer him a deal before he hits free agency. At least try instead of letting him walk without seeing what you could get.

Ryan Grant
Phil Taylor

Allowed to Walk
Shaun Lauvao
Niles Paul
Will Compton
Mason Foster
Brian Quick
Spencer Long
Dustin Hopkins

Only ones I wonder about are: Gallette (why keep him?), Long (why let him walk? is it solely due to price? does it make sense to complete remove our interior line depth in one offseason?), ...

and Rose/Hopkins. Explain this please because it isn't as a slam dunk to me as it is apparently to you. Is it solely a price issue? Yes, Rose has a better FG% but that's also based on a small sample size. He's been a bit better about getting more air under his kicks, but his kickoffs are not as strong as Hopkins's.

2018 Free Agency

The Redskins already have one receiver with a reputation of being injured all of the time. Why would they invest in a second one who has an even worse reputation?

Not sure why they would go looking for yet another corner. It's arguably one of our deepest positions. Hyde could work, I suppose, but that will depend on the price tag.

I know nothing of Norwell, so I'll just shrug on that one.

Watkins is cool but he's injury prone . I think we just settle with Crowder and Doctson and sign a cheap vet like Eric Decker or skins get bold and sign dez Bryant if he's released .. if we talking cheap route .

to me the DL and OL should be improved .. I wouldn't be upset if we draft a C or G in the second.

@Woz

-The reason I kept Galette is because he'll probably come back very cheap and he's been decent rushing the passer. 

-Spencer Long is gone because Roullier makes him expendable If Long isn't going to play LG then I don't see how he fits back in on the roster?

-I just flat out feel Rose is the better kicker. 

- Sammy Watkins just seems like a player the Redskins could get cheap. That just seems like the Bruce thing to do anymore.

- The Redskins are going to let Breeland walk so even with Fuller and Moreau on the roster I think they'll pick up someone else. I'd like to see Dunbar come back but I have absolutely no idea what they're going to do there? 

Last I heard, both Edmunds brothers were coming back to VT. If anything, Tremaine is probably the one that leaves. Terrell's injury probably keeps him another year in Blacksburg. 

I think Vita Vea is probably a first rounder, but who knows. 

The only guy I would consider bringing back is Spencer Long. Likely to be cheaper than most OG's out there and with the limited availability of offensive lineman, especially at the OG position, looking for one in the draft that will bring quality starting talent outside of Nelson, will be like winning the lottery. There's a chance, but its definitily minute. 

23 hours ago, lavar703 said:

If they don't extend Cousins they should go full reboot, fire the entire front office and coaching staff.  Start fresh. 

$9 mil is gonna put him in the top 5 paid MLBs in the NFL.  Somewhere in the $6-7 mil range would be preferable.  Remember he didn't get a lot of interest in free agency last year.  Let's not bid against ourselves.  

I agree with these.  I don't see any way either are back next year.  

He's going to be a RFA, so we should be able to bring him back on the 2nd round pick designation.  I think he'd only cost us like $2 - $2.5 mil or something like that on a one year deal.  I'd much rather him back than someone like Galette.  

I would have Rose and Hopkins in camp.  Winner takes all.  

Ryan Grant
Phil Taylor

Galette has been a complete nonfactor this year and he's aging.  We really should add another mid or late round OLB to the roster to take Galette's spot IMO.  Also a guy like that could contribute to special teams.  Phil Taylor is completely unreliable.  If you want to bring him in on vet min to camp then whatever, but we absolutely should not count on him being able to play next year.  I believe Ryan Grant will be a RFA as well, I'd put the original round tender (4th) on him to keep him on the cheap for one year.  I'd let him walk after that.  

Allowed to Walk
Shaun Lauvao
Niles Paul
Will Compton
Mason Foster
Brian Quick
Spencer Long
Dustin Hopkins

I think we'll have to at least make an offer to Spencer Long.  Also, as I've already stated I'd bring Hopkins in to compete.  Otherwise no arguments from me.

2018 Free Agency

I would hate this free agent class.  I could maybe get on board for Norwell.  Otherwise no thanks across the board from me.  I don't see any major changes being done at LG.  It would suck, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them bring Lauvao back on the cheap and draft a 3rd or 4th round Guard to compete.  They've already spent so many resources on the Oline I don't see how they can add a premium LG.  

2018 NFL Draft

This looks like a solid draft to me.  I think you addressed most of our needs, although I may have gone Guard in round 4 instead of another safety.  

15 hours ago, Woz said:

They're likely going to get priced out of what Breeland will get on the market. However, the team would be fools not to offer him a deal before he hits free agency. At least try instead of letting him walk without seeing what you could get.

If you look at the Redskins cap for next year, and what any Cousins extension will do to that I don't see how we can possibly retain Breeland and make upgrades at other needier spots.  

I dont think we need to retain Breeland. Kendall Fuller has shown some good promise in the slot, but I think he could handle the outside as well. This could move Moreau to the inside. Breeland is one of my favorites and I would love to resign him, but he is talented and will garner a lot of money from another team. I honestly could see Cleveland, Cincinnati, or even Baltimore goin after him. 

On 12/3/2017 at 10:43 PM, Dashing202 said:

I can't make my moves but if Kirk cousins leaves I'd bring in teddy bridgewater to compete with McCoy .

bridgewater very young and would be cheap , completely healthy as well. Has starting experince .

you must love losing 

Archived