Yankees, Marlins Agree to Giancarlo Stanton Trade, lulz Cards/Giants

ramssuperbowl99

8 hours ago, mission27 said:

Not sure what firing Mr. Marlin or employees being paid a salary has to do with Giancarlo Stanton but I will say I'm fully in favor of both.  I only wish there was more than one Jeff Conine to get the ax.

You obviously misunderstood what I meant by 'common sense.'  Not that the Marlins have any ... they may or they may not, who knows ... but that it is common sense that even an incompetent buffoon, while in the middle of negotiating a $300 million deal, would probably be in pretty active daily talks with the major parties involved and answer their phone.  Seriously, what do you think these people do all day?  People who run baseball teams  any business spend all day, every day, on the phone talking to people they are trying to do business with.  That is their job.

In no way am I arguing that the Marlins communicated with Stanton, or should have, because its the right/decent thing to do.  That would be a fair point but that's not my point.  My point is they probably communicated actively with the parties involved because a) it is the ONLY way any transactions ever gets done, period, end of story; b) it was absolutely in their best interests to make sure a transaction got done, which it did; and c) when you are dealing with organizations this large with probably dozens of people involved in every major decision, all of whom have extensive professional networks, there is literally no way to stop people from talking to each other.  

I have no idea if the Marlins did a good job communicating with everyone involved here but they were absolutely in active contact with Stanton and his agent, reached out to a bunch of teams, evaluated offers, set up follow up meetings between those teams and Stanton, and ultimately selected the best deal for their franchise that Stanton was willing to accept.  Seems like the right process to me tbh.

we agree the best way would have been to keep in constant contact woth stanton amd his reps. but theres nothing pointing to that other than you saying thats the way it was. you also said its the only way a deal would get done. we saw two deals not get done. ill ask again, whose to say the marlins felt that stanton was their employee and they would tell him what they wanted to when they wanted to?

4 minutes ago, buno67 said:

This just shows to me that baseball needs a salary cap, if it’s like MLB or the NBA. Also need to put a minimum salary floor because the team the marlins might field this year is going to be freaking awful. 

Baseball has a salary cap. They just don't call it a salary cap.

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

And having more bidders gives the Marlins extra leverage, or at least the appearance of it.

It's like selling a house. You will get offers from people who can comfortably afford it, who are stretching it a little, and who can't afford it. You listen to everyone, let the bank give the okay, and in the meantime you aren't lying to any buyer when you say "I've got 3 offers on my house right now" even if 2 of them aren't likely to get approved for a mortgage.

yea, thats not how house buying works. if youre smart, you wont even consider an offer unless it includes a preapproval sheet. so certainly not the best analogy here.

1 minute ago, GSUeagles14 said:
3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

And having more bidders gives the Marlins extra leverage, or at least the appearance of it.

It's like selling a house. You will get offers from people who can comfortably afford it, who are stretching it a little, and who can't afford it. You listen to everyone, let the bank give the okay, and in the meantime you aren't lying to any buyer when you say "I've got 3 offers on my house right now" even if 2 of them aren't likely to get approved for a mortgage.

yea, thats not how house buying works. if youre smart, you wont even consider an offer unless it includes a preapproval sheet. so certainly not the best analogy here.

I should probably tell all of my friends in the area who did exactly this when selling their houses in the past year.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I should probably tell all of my friends in the area who did exactly this when selling their houses in the past year.

you probably should,  even if it worked out in 1-2 instances, it still doesnt make it smart. im surprised a realtor wouldnt strongly steer them away from that.

29 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

you probably should,  even if it worked out in 1-2 instances, it still doesnt make it smart. im surprised a realtor wouldnt strongly steer them away from that.

Multiple different realtors recommended the approach. Being able to quote offers, especially when you have the asset in a somewhat scarce market (as the Marlins did), was smart on their end.

57 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Multiple different realtors recommended the approach. Being able to quote offers, especially when you have the asset in a somewhat scarce market (as the Marlins did), was smart on their end.

Now i call BS. No realtor is going to recommend taking offers without a preapproval letter. You tried to put out a bad analogy, it backfired and now youre trying to bs your way out. 

2 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Now i call BS. No realtor is going to recommend taking offers without a preapproval letter. You tried to put out a bad analogy, it backfired and now youre trying to bs your way out. 

I didn't say they'd take an offer. I said they recommend using those offers and engaging all parties whether they can afford the house or not. 

And that's true. My buddy sold his house for $300k. He got an offer above list from someone who wanted to put 3% down and had an income of around $70k. His realtor used that offer because it was slightly above list.

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I didn't say they'd take an offer. I said they recommend using those offers and engaging all parties whether they can afford the house or not. 

And that's true. My buddy sold his house for $300k. He got an offer above list from someone who wanted to put 3% down and had an income of around $70k. His realtor used that offer because it was slightly above list.

I understand, and yet still call bs. its not an auction, realtors dont go around saying i have an offer for 205, will you go 206. and the first question i would ask if i was the on they came back to would be if they had loan preapproval. if not, they can take my cheaper offer or i say good luck rolling teh idce. This isnt rocket science either any realtor with their commission knows this, i come across this stuff on a semi regular basis for my job. 

Its a bad analogy, theyre are probably decent ones out there but this is downright awful.

39 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

I understand, and yet still call bs. its not an auction, realtors dont go around saying i have an offer for 205, will you go 206. and the first question i would ask if i was the on they came back to would be if they had loan preapproval. if not, they can take my cheaper offer or i say good luck rolling teh idce. This isnt rocket science either any realtor with their commission knows this, i come across this stuff on a semi regular basis for my job. 

Its a bad analogy, theyre are probably decent ones out there but this is downright awful.

These is a difference between "I'm haggling over an extra $1k" and "we have an offer, like yours better, but it needs to be at least a little closer". And my buddy sold his hose for list price, in part because of that extra offer.

The analogy works fine. The Stanton situation, like selling a house, is a situation where you have 3 parties involved and so the best offer between buyer and seller might not be the best offer, simply because you have either a no-trade or a bank that could put an end to the entire thing. And like my buddy with his house, the Marlins had nothing to lose by talking with those other teams. If they don't get an offer that they could use, then they don't get an offer and they are right back where they would have been had they never talked. If they do get an offer they can use, then great, they can use it.

The major difference in the analogy is that banks don't tend to change their mind after an in-person meeting. The Marlins had no idea how Stanton might react to a pitch from the Cardinals or the Giants (and for that matter, neither did the Dodgers, Yankees, Cubs, or Astros), so they had even more reason to engage them. In that regard, the threat of a potential other team became leverage on its own.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

These is a difference between "I'm haggling over an extra $1k" and "we have an offer, like yours better, but it needs to be at least a little closer". And my buddy sold his hose for list price, in part because of that extra offer.

The analogy works fine. The Stanton situation, like selling a house, is a situation where you have 3 parties involved and so the best offer between buyer and seller might not be the best offer, simply because you have either a no-trade or a bank that could put an end to the entire thing. And like my buddy with his house, the Marlins had nothing to lose by talking with those other teams. If they don't get an offer that they could use, then they don't get an offer and they are right back where they would have been had they never talked. If they do get an offer they can use, then great, they can use it.

The major difference in the analogy is that banks don't tend to change their mind after an in-person meeting. The Marlins had no idea how Stanton might react to a pitch from the Cardinals or the Giants (and for that matter, neither did the Dodgers, Yankees, Cubs, or Astros), so they had even more reason to engage them. In that regard, the threat of a potential other team became leverage on its own.

well you absolutely do have something to lose if youre selling a house, agree to a sale price with someone then find out that they cant get the money. Thats a pretty big issue that has tangible repercussions. which is the reason why this was such an awful analogy for you to use.

16 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

well you absolutely do have something to lose if youre selling a house, agree to a sale price with someone then find out that they cant get the money. Thats a pretty big issue that has tangible repercussions. which is the reason why this was such an awful analogy for you to use.

Not if you know the deal might not go through (which the Marlins absolutely did, and is almost always the case with a NTC) and are ready to pivot to a backup option if it falls apart (which the Marlins were).  The incremental cost of engaging with a team on trade talks is extremely low compared to the potential upside, really just a few phone calls and maybe a computer monkey to run some numbers, especially when everyone on the planet already knows you are shopping the player so there's really no downside from a story leaking. 

And there's no reason to believe the Marlins passed up a 'sure thing' $205K for a risky $206K... if that were the case, sure, that's stupid and a waste of time.  But everything we've heard says the Yankees really weren't serious about Stanton, were more focused on Ohtani, and were unwilling to come anywhere close to the Marlins price on him.  They tried to get a deal done with a more serious bidder, it didn't work out, so they moved on Plan B.  Seems perfectly rational.   

Archived