Yankees, Marlins Agree to Giancarlo Stanton Trade, lulz Cards/Giants

ramssuperbowl99

On 12/9/2017 at 7:10 PM, Pugger said:

When has there ever been parity in baseball??  lol

More than football and basketball. It's the freaking Pats or Steelers every damn year representing the AFC in the SB. NFC has some parity, as teams move up and down more. But still it's pretty much the same teams every year. 

And don't even start with NBA, where the regular season is just a formality for the Warriors Cavs Invitational.

On 12/9/2017 at 7:21 PM, playmaker8267 said:

I know, but we didn't even get any reports saying the Red Sox had talked to or met with Stanton to persuade him to add them to his list of teams he'd accept a trade to. You'd think even if those conversations didn't happen, the Red Sox would at least have the decency to leak a report saying they did just to make us feel better. The Red Sox didn't even feign an attempt at any of it and given our need for power, it's incredibly frustrating.

The Red Sox didn't want that contract. And Stanton didn't want to come here. So he really wasn't an option, to be honest.

Dombrowski's hands are kind of tied at this point because of bad contracts and a ton of arb eligible players. If they can land Martinez, this off-season is a huge win.

34 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

The Red Sox didn't want that contract. And Stanton didn't want to come here. So he really wasn't an option, to be honest.

Dombrowski's hands are kind of tied at this point because of bad contracts and a ton of arb eligible players. If they can land Martinez, this off-season is a huge win.

What is Martinez going to cost though?  Not sure he's gonna be that much cheaper than Stanton tbh.

4 hours ago, mission27 said:

What is Martinez going to cost though?  Not sure he's gonna be that much cheaper than Stanton tbh.

His contract is probably going to be less than Stanton's and he doesn't cost prospects or a draft pick.

This is not me saying the Yankees' deal for Stanton isn't a steal, it is. But for the Red Sox, Martinez has always made more sense.

2 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

His contract is probably going to be less than Stanton's and he doesn't cost prospects or a draft pick.

This is not me saying the Yankees' deal for Stanton isn't a steal, it is. But for the Red Sox, Martinez has always made more sense.

In total money if he doesn't opt out, sure, but he's younger so total value isn't a perfectly fair comparison and Stanton's $22.5M AAV for the luxury tax is substantially less than what Martinez's tax price will be.

hard to believe, but the marlins have actually downgraded in ownership. Jeter isnt just making unpopular moves, hes coming off as inept at his job. why negotiate trades with teams that arent on Stanons list? if you do that, you better be able to convince him to accept. Hes failed in almost every possible way so far.

39 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

hard to believe, but the marlins have actually downgraded in ownership. Jeter isnt just making unpopular moves, hes coming off as inept at his job. why negotiate trades with teams that arent on Stanons list? if you do that, you better be able to convince him to accept. Hes failed in almost every possible way so far.

He bungled one situation...kind of. I get he didn’t talk to Stanton before which is dumb but it isn’t THAT bad considering the no trade clause.

Loria on the other hand was awful for over a decade. Awful might even be a compliment. He was an absolute disgrace of an owner. I’m not gonna say Jeter or anyone is worse than him over one situation.

1 minute ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

He bungled one situation...kind of. I get he didn’t talk to Stanton before which is dumb but it isn’t THAT bad considering the no trade clause.

Loria on the other hand was awful for over a decade. Awful might even be a compliment. He was an absolute disgrace of an owner. I’m not gonna say Jeter or anyone is worse than him over one situation.

so you dont think firing someone in a hospital bed is poor management?

14 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

so you dont think firing someone in a hospital bed is poor management?

I think that's better than stealing hundreds of millions of dollars from the taxpayers and from other baseball teams by contracting out 8 figure ownership "administrative costs" to you personally and another 8 figure payout for day to day operations to a shell corporation that you and your son and law own 100% of.

12 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I think that's better than stealing hundreds of millions of dollars from the taxpayers and from other baseball teams by contracting out 8 figure ownership "administrative costs" to you personally and another 8 figure payout for day to day operations to a shell corporation that you and your son and law own 100% of.

i mean, jeters been in control for how and hes already had several issues. no real reason to assume itll improve, like experince will fix some things but others hes done is just plan stupid and should be known day 1. theres time for him to pull shady things like that, and weve seen hes not afraid to be cold and ruthless.

5 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Because 3 of the 4 teams on Stanton's list had basically no interest in taking on his contract from what we've heard.  So it was either gift Stanton to the Yankees, or try to get him to agree to a better trade to the Giants / Cardinals and then ultimately gift him to the Yankees.  The Marlins made the right call.  Stanton can bust on them now but who cares?  

Tbh the deal the deal they got was not that bad.  They were put into a no-win situation because the media and others seriously overestimated Stanton's trade value, with that contract.  I said this a month ago when people were speculating the Sox might trade Devers or Benetendi for Stanton AND take on his contract.  That was always ridiculous.  He passed through waivers last year without a claim.  The Marlins were going to get salary relief and meh prospects or less salary relief and better prospects.  In this particular case they got to unload almost the entire contract and picked up a guy who is probably a top-100 prospect, throws 100 mph, and has ace upside.  That's not horrible. 

What is surprising is that a team like Boston wasn't willing to pull the trigger on a similar deal but again maybe Stanton didn't want to go there. 

The best case scenario for the Marlins would've been to invest heavily in some starting pitching over the next 2 years and try to build a high payroll team with a few superstars that could actually create buzz in Miami... which IS a very big market with a ton of baseball fans.  Make them the Heat of MLB.  

This ownership group didn't have the resources to do that yet so the next best thing to do was completely clean house, cut payroll to the bone, tank for a few years and then build your way back out of it until you have the best farm system in baseball.  Then you start investing and trying to become a big market team.  I really don't think they've done anything wrong tbh.  Its just not a great situation.

Yes there's no guarantee any prospect will become Giancarlo Stanton but even though he's a 'once in a generation' talent we've seen from Chicago, LA, Houston, and the Yankees that if you invest in the farm system as a mid to large market team you are almost guaranteed to hit on a few big time players.  If the Marlins ownership group is committed and has a long enough time horizon it will work.

Archived