Yankees, Marlins Agree to Giancarlo Stanton Trade, lulz Cards/Giants

ramssuperbowl99

7 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Great move though, Yankees back to being the Yankees and just hurling money around to buy whoever they want.

And the Mets... um.

Uh.

Um....

And even with this move we are still expected to be under the luxury tax threshold... That means Harper and Machado are still very much in play next year.

Harper's agent already talking about a big 3 in the outfield.

https://nypost.com/2017/12/09/bryce-harpers-agent-has-good-news-for-yankees-fans/

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Anyone else less than happy that it seems like we're going to try to flip Frazier for the SP?

I love it. We have a ton of OF prospects. Don't get me wrong... I love Red Thunder. But a starting pitcher right now is more important than another OF prospect. Stanton and Judge are gonna be at the Corners a long time. Then Gardner/Hicks gonna split at CF until Florial takes over

1 hour ago, marshawn lynch said:

I love it. We have a ton of OF prospects. Don't get me wrong... I love Red Thunder. But a starting pitcher right now is more important than another OF prospect. Stanton and Judge are gonna be at the Corners a long time. Then Gardner/Hicks gonna split at CF until Florial takes over

Depends on the value tbh.  Florial is a long way away and not sure he will stick in center.  Gardner is getting up there and Hicks has a short track record.  Both guys are probably better options right now but long term Frazier could still be the CF of the future between those two guys. 

They obviously need to trade at least one of those guys before the season, especially if they can't offload Ellsbury, but Frazier is the most valuable asset of the three.  I'd say don't trade him unless you are getting a very good player back.

Another thought... why not offer Frazier and a couple prospect to the Orioles for Machado now?  

2 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

Unless we're getting a very talented young SP, I hate it. I'd rather keep the young OF and keep developing him.

He can also play in AAA.  He's 23 and hit .230 last year.  Yes he showed flashes but still has plenty to work on.  Its ok to be patient.  They were patient with Sanchez and Judge and when those guys were ready they forced their way into starting roles.  It worked out just fine.  

If there's an opportunity to bring in a difference maker by moving Frazier then that probably makes sense.  He's definitely expendable in the short term.  But no need to sell low just to move him.  We have enough depth in our system to fill holes internally or trade for role players without moving our top tier prospects. 

Teheran scares me as a fly ball righty who doesn't miss a ton of bats.  Lot of upside, young, cost controlled but still.  Probably wouldn't be the same guy in Yankee Stadium and the AL East.  More likely another Eovaldi.  I'd rather just throw a little money at Pineda and take a flyer on him tbh.

Also not sure why we need to bring in another starter, at least if CC comes back.  Severino, Gray, Tanaka is a good 1-2-3.  Montgomery is at least a good 4 based on what he did last year.  If we just bring back CC, that rotation is fine.  If CC struggles or someone gets hurt there are a million talented arms in the upper minors who are ready for a shot.  Adams, Acevedo, Sheffield, German, Mitchell, Herrera, Cortes.  Not to mention Chad Green is supposed to get a chance to compete for a rotation spot.  If there's nothing there then deal for a starter at the break tbh.

This roster is in a really good spot.  If I'm Cashman I'm just looking to be opportunistic.  Don't think this team has any clear needs.  Maybe a lefty backup 1B / pinch hitter type or an upgrade at 2B/3B if you don't believe one or both of Torres and Andujar are ready.    

1 hour ago, mission27 said:

Also not sure why we need to bring in another starter, at least if CC comes back.  Severino, Gray, Tanaka is a good 1-2-3.  Montgomery is at least a good 4 based on what he did last year.  If we just bring back CC, that rotation is fine.  If CC struggles or someone gets hurt there are a million talented arms in the upper minors who are ready for a shot.  Adams, Acevedo, Sheffield, German, Mitchell, Herrera, Cortes.  Not to mention Chad Green is supposed to get a chance to compete for a rotation spot.  If there's nothing there then deal for a starter at the break tbh.

This roster is in a really good spot.  If I'm Cashman I'm just looking to be opportunistic.  Don't think this team has any clear needs.  Maybe a lefty backup 1B / pinch hitter type or an upgrade at 2B/3B if you don't believe one or both of Torres and Andujar are ready.    

I am still of the opinion that we should let C.C. walk.

Archived