Nacho Simulation Football League (Season 26 - Taco Bowl XXVI Posted!)

So I could possibly either host Little Rock on the Big Rock, or go there with a Tables flag planted. And I still have a chance to go perform at Venom on Ice.

Edited by LAOJoe

15 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

To clarify, there is a slight boost just for being at home but it's pretty small (although higher for teams playing within a Dome & how different the time zones are).

However, the other bit of value (for non-Dome teams) comes with weather - playing at home means your stadium settings are used to determine it, and teams are further buffed/debuffed depending on how far their own stadium settings deviate from the randomly selected weather. Even things like "dry air" and "humid air" can negatively impact a team whose stadium has a high precipitation or low precipitation, respectively (as well as having global effects like wind affecting the passing & kicking game and snow affecting the running game substantially).

That said, HFA isn't a huge factor. Disregarding weather, when two identical teams are simmed against eachother, the home team will win around 53% of the time (give or take). Although extremely favorable conditions could increase this to as much as 60% (without even considering how the global weather effects).

Also one should note that Stadium settings can be a double-edged sword in general - if you set them to be very unique you will increase your homefield advantage by a noticeable degree, but likely hurt your ability to play on the road (depends who your home/away matchups are though; it may be possible to minmax it to some degree).

So uh... to @Malfatron, @Scalamania, @ravens5520, and anyone else who ever had a Dome stadium with exactly 50 precipitation setting: I found a bug today that made your teams worse on the road than originally intended!

You see, to compensate for the fact domed stadiums give an additional static passive buff to the home team during home games, they receive additional static passive debuffs if playing in weather not matching their stadiums settings. Since air only has two options, humid or dry, the check to see if one of these passive debuffs should be applied was determined simply by whether their precipitation setting was higher or lower than 50.

Except... I used a <= and >= for both of these checks... Which means for teams whose precipitation was set to exactly 50 received this debuff either way, in every away game not being played at an opposing domed stadium (while it was supposed to only be applied to around half of these games, depending on the precipitation settings of the opponents).

So uh, sorry. I fixed it though! If exactly 50 it now applies half of the normal debuff to every game rather than the full debuff (I was debating flipping a coin instead but I don't think there needs to be even more RNG dependence).

• Like 5

WEEK 8 POWER RANKINGS

1. Rio de Janeiro Pirates (6-1, LW:2) - The Pirates regain their top spot in the rankings.
2. Greenland Polar Bears (5-2, LW:7) - The Polar Bears make their move and surprise the Ducks to steal the lead in the division.
3. Phoenix Rubber Ducks (5-2, LW:1) - It was a short reign at the top of the rankings but it's not time to worry yet.
4. Lake Minnesota Ice Orcas (5-2, LW:3) - They drop after a close win vs Scranton. The fall wasn't due to their performance though because the Polar Bears just moved on up like The Jeffersons.
5. Reykjavík Direwolves (5-2, LW:5) - They keep winning and they keep staying at #5. One has to think they are fine with this but frustration will set in if they keep winning and staying stagnant in the rankings.
6. Indianapolis Predators (4-3, LW:8) - They completely destroyed the Hornets.
7. Hanoi Viet Kongs (4-3, LW:9) - The Kongs are starting to show why they were considered early favourites.
8. Berlin Beer Bellies (4-3, LW:10) - Are Berlin getting drunk off their success? Do their Bellies have any more room for Ws?
9. Hamilton Hornets (4-3, LW:4) - That's 3 losses in a row and this time it wasn't close as they took the biggest L of week. 3rd down has become an issue on both sides of the ball and changes are coming.
10. Anchorage Amphibians (4-3, LW:11) - The Amphibians swallow the Blobfish whole.
11. New Zealand Blobfish (4-3, LW:6) - They still seem like an above-average team but they drop back into the bottom half of the rankings.
12. Egypt Starfalls (3-4, LW:15) - Another win keeps them in the hunt for the playoffs.
13. Wattsville Waste Walruses (3-4, LW:17) - With the win, Wattsville can start thinking about making a run again
14. Burlington Sock Puppets (3-4, LW:13) - A big missed opportunity vs Wattsville but their hopes from the preseason are still alive.
15. Little Rock Uni Royals (3-4, LW:12) - From expected wins you'd think they wouldn't drop from 12 but 3 straight losses needs to be punished.
16. Copenhagen Tables (2-5, LW:14) - The Tables got turned and they take the L this week.
17. Freiburg Venom (2-5, LW:16) - A tough loss. This team just keeps showing they are competitive but don't get enough results.
18. Tokyo Samurai (2-5, LW:18) - 5 straight losses. They are ready to drop further if Lancaster or Scranton can win another game.
19. Lancaster Fighting Amish (1-6, LW:19) - Another tough close loss to a good team. They are looking eerily similar to Freiburg, but with less results.
20. Scranton Papermakers (1-6, LW:20) - Ho hum.

GOTW
 Berlin Beer Bellies @ Greenland Polar Bears (MNF)

Prime Time:
 Anchorage Amphibians @ Hanoi Viet Kongs (SNF)
 Indianapolis Predators @ Lake Minnewanka Ice Orcas (Sunday late)
 Tokyo Samurai @ Little Rock Uni Royals (Sunday early, UOTW. Somebody has to break their streak right?)

Thursday
  Wattsville Waste Walruses @ Rio de Janeiro Pirates (TNF)

Rest of WEEK 8 (Sat, July 29th)

Phoenix Rubber Ducks @ Freiburg Venom
Hamilton Hornets @ Burlington Sock Puppets
Egypt Starfalls @ Scranton Papermakers
New Zealand Blobfish @ Copenhagen Tables
Lancaster Fighting Amish @ Reykjavík Direwolves

Edited by LAOJoe
  • Like 5

I had to rush before heading out so some blurbs are better than others. I feel overall it's good and the rankings themselves are on point for how I've been doing them at least.

Edited by LAOJoe
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

So uh... to @Malfatron, @Scalamania, @ravens5520, and anyone else who ever had a Dome stadium with exactly 50 precipitation setting: I found a bug today that made your teams worse on the road than originally intended!

You see, to compensate for the fact domed stadiums give an additional static passive buff to the home team during home games, they receive additional static passive debuffs if playing in weather not matching their stadiums settings. Since air only has two options, humid or dry, the check to see if one of these passive debuffs should be applied was determined simply by whether their precipitation setting was higher or lower than 50.

Except... I used a <= and >= for both of these checks... Which means for teams whose precipitation was set to exactly 50 received this debuff either way, in every away game not being played at an opposing domed stadium (while it was supposed to only be applied to around half of these games, depending on the precipitation settings of the opponents).

So uh, sorry. I fixed it though! If exactly 50 it now applies half of the normal debuff to every game rather than the full debuff (I was debating flipping a coin instead but I don't think there needs to be even more RNG dependence).

Or you ban 50 for domes lol.

19 minutes ago, LAOJoe said:

I had to rush before heading out so some blurbs are better than others. I feel overall it's good and the rankings themselves are on point for how I've been doing them at least.

Agreed on my end. I could easily be 5-2 if things had gone differently.  

I just spent the last half hour talking Buffalo Bills with a Formula 3 driver in Belgium. He's apparently a huge fan and owns tons of swag. He was on Big Brother Netherlands or Belgium too. He's going to New York this fall so he might catch a Bills game in Jersey or Buffalo while he's there. I might even see him again if he goes to a game in Buffalo. They are essentially my 2nd team after the Eagles as the "Local" team.

Edited by LAOJoe
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

This is a guaranteed Wattsville loss. Bump another team into that juicy TNF spot.

Nice try by management trying to get more time to prep instead of a short week. 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

in the interest of fairness, we should restart the season.  No personal reason here at all

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bcb1213 said:

in the interest of fairness, we should restart the season.  No personal reason here at all

Malf didn't have a fair shot when he played at my home field. We should at least redo that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Checks road record
1-3 on the season 

🥴😣

I feel like some of the QB stats are insane this year. A few examples:

Kirk Cousins [7 GS]: 149/240 (62.08%, 100.07 Rating) for 1,844 yards, 14 touchdowns, 3 interceptions. 18 carries for 19 yards (1.06 YPC, 7 LNG), 0 touchdowns, 3 fumbles.

Russell Wilson [7 GS]: 152/232 (65.52%, 97.14 Rating) for 1,753 yards, 10 touchdowns, 3 interceptions. 22 carries for 156 yards (7.09 YPC, 15 LNG), 1 touchdown, 4 fumbles.

Tua Tagovailoa [7 GS]: 147/231 (63.64%, 96.98 Rating) for 1,641 yards, 11 touchdowns, 2 interceptions. 26 carries for 61 yards (2.35 YPC, 12 LNG), 0 touchdowns, 2 fumbles.

You gotta wonder if they'll drop as things progress.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway