2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

4 hours ago, Epyon said:

One of the things I've been reading about Nagy is that he runs a heavy shotgun offense.... Which probably would help Mitch out as well, since he's more used to playing out of the gun...

That being said..... Whitehair is a bit of a concern to me as a C long term in a shotgun heavy offense, with his snapping issues..  Might be worth exploring the Center market in FA and pushing Whitehair to OG (or hell maybe even testing him at RT, considering he was PFF elite graded OT in college)

Thank you. I thought I was the only one who still believed he could be a solid RT.

I see Mark Tauscher 2.0 when I look at him.

10 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

If I am Cleveland I am loving it right now...you trade a 2nd for Alex Smith...draft Barkley and keep Josh Gordon clean and Njoke developing and you have an offence that will win you games.

And have another 1st in case yo love an OL, as Thomas is getting older. Might be time to groom a replacement. Roderick Johnson is a high upside prospect but needs years of work and to make sure his motor stays running hot.

15 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Thank you. I thought I was the only one who still believed he could be a solid RT.

I see Mark Tauscher 2.0 when I look at him.

If he can be then it’d be a good place for him. Assuming the ankle is right I wouldn’t be opposed to putting Long back out there too, with the caveat, IF you made the move now and gave him all offseason to work on the craft. He spends his offseason working at the LeCharles Bentley school for OL and I have no doubt he’d be really good there given the proper time to acclimate to the spot (so basically the exact opposite of last time he was put there). Guessing that ship has probably sailed, but with a new staff coming in you never know. 

16 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

If he can be then it’d be a good place for him. Assuming the ankle is right I wouldn’t be opposed to putting Long back out there too, with the caveat, IF you made the move now and gave him all offseason to work on the craft. He spends his offseason working at the LeCharles Bentley school for OL and I have no doubt he’d be really good there given the proper time to acclimate to the spot (so basically the exact opposite of last time he was put there). Guessing that ship has probably sailed, but with a new staff coming in you never know. 

Same. He should have been an OT to begin with, Mills should have been the guard. Fox was an idiot to allow him to jump out there at RT vs Peppers of all people, a HoF player.

Oh well, the guy is 29 and might as well keep him at OG, as his physical abilities might begin to diminish. He can still be a dominant G, we have a LT for the next few years already set, just need a real RT. I'm open to Whitehair being in the mix at RT, but I want a legit option as a center. Might be just easy to just draft an OT in the top 2-3 rounds and compete vs Massie.

10 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Same. He should have been an OT to begin with, Mills should have been the guard. Fox was an idiot to allow him to jump out there at RT vs Peppers of all people, a HoF player.

Oh well, the guy is 29 and might as well keep him at OG, as his physical abilities might begin to diminish. He can still be a dominant G, we have a LT for the next few years already set, just need a real RT. I'm open to Whitehair being in the mix at RT, but I want a legit option as a center. Might be just easy to just draft an OT in the top 2-3 rounds and compete vs Massie.

My expectation is that we will either sign a RT to replace Massie or will draft one to eventually replace him, but not in round 1. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

My expectation is that we will either sign a RT to replace Massie or will draft one to eventually replace him, but not in round 1. 

Why not? It’s a premier position and one of need for the Bears. The more time Mitch has the better for his development next year.

1 hour ago, Nads786 said:

Why not? It’s a premier position and one of need for the Bears. The more time Mitch has the better for his development next year.

I don’t disagree - I just think we draft another premier position that’s also a need. Gut feeling over anything else. 

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Any names you see out there worth bringing in?

Nate Solder jumps out at me... and I believe he has played some RT with the Pats. Curious what kind of $$$ he will get, though.

35 minutes ago, G08 said:

Any names you see out there worth bringing in?

Nate Solder jumps out at me... and I believe he has played some RT with the Pats. Curious what kind of $$$ he will get, though.

Cameron Fleming of the Pats grades out as the #31 OT on PFF (apply your PFF grain of salt here) but he’s been a part time starter (18 starts at OT the past 3 years) so that’d be an upside signing. Massie FWIW is #41. I’d go for that personally. Massie is a replacement level player but only that. Fleming is probably about that but could be more. 

Beyond that? Not sure. Seems pretty thin - that’s why I’m kinda wrapped around the idea that it’s gonna be Massie and a draft pick at RT. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Cameron Fleming of the Pats grades out as the #31 OT on PFF (apply your PFF grain of salt here) but he’s been a part time starter (18 starts at OT the past 3 years) so that’d be an upside signing. Massie FWIW is #41. I’d go for that personally. Massie is a replacement level player but only that. Fleming is probably about that but could be more. 

Beyond that? Not sure. Seems pretty thin - that’s why I’m kinda wrapped around the idea that it’s gonna be Massie and a draft pick at RT. 

Waddle has been better for the Pats than Fleming when he has played but I honestly don't think Massie has been so bad that in a better scheme he can't hold his own...I would like a draft pick as well tho to develop. 

59 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Waddle has been better for the Pats than Fleming when he has played but I honestly don't think Massie has been so bad that in a better scheme he can't hold his own...I would like a draft pick as well tho to develop. 

The problem is in a more "up to date" system is going to stress Massie more.

The Chiefs offense does not help OTs as much as the Bears have in the past.

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The problem is in a more "up to date" system is going to stress Massie more.

The Chiefs offense does not help OTs as much as the Bears have in the past.

Yes and No...a great scheme is tailored to every player...not just skill positions...I feel Nagy can build a scheme to help this offensive line...getting some WRs is going to be the best help for this offensive line to stop them seeing 9 man boxes and extensive blitzes due to the fact no one respected our ability to throw the ball...our OL as a whole is talented but we need to spread the ball around to help them.  

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Yes and No...a great scheme is tailored to every player...not just skill positions...I feel Nagy can build a scheme to help this offensive line...getting some WRs is going to be the best help for this offensive line to stop them seeing 9 man boxes and extensive blitzes due to the fact no one respected our ability to throw the ball...our OL as a whole is talented but we need to spread the ball around to help them.  

Reid always invests a ton in his OT position and always asks a ton of them.

Archived