Is KC vs CIN the best rivalry in the NFL?

SmittyBacall

Two top dogs in the AFC, the rare non-divisional rivalry between Kansas City and Cincinnati has developed into one of the better, most entertaining match ups you’ll see across the entire NFL. Even in the dog days of summer leading up to training camp, these two never seem to stop finding ways to agitate each other.

Given the talent of both teams, the Burrow vs Mahomes match up, etc., is there a better rivalry in the NFL right now?

3 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Two top dogs in the AFC, the rare non-divisional rivalry between Kansas City and Cincinnati has developed into one of the better, most entertaining match ups you’ll see across the entire NFL. Even in the dog days of summer leading up to training camp, these two never seem to stop finding ways to agitate each other.

Given the talent of both teams, the Burrow vs Mahomes match up, etc., is there a better rivalry in the NFL right now?

I may be too far away from it to recognize it but I don't see it as a rivalry. It is a great matchup though. I'd honestly put Buffalo vs KC as a slightly better rivalry even though it's really too fresh to really be seen as much of one.

We can definitely say that KC and Cincy are building a rivalry as long as both teams keep going like they have been. I think it's just too early and not enough drama yet to really be impressed by it. It takes time. SF/Dallas wasn't a two year thing, it took time.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Which is better in your opinion?

for starters I dont even view them as a rivalry at this time - the Bengals have only become relevant in the last couple seasons and these things take time. Historically, it doesn't come close to SF/Dallas or NE/Indy during the Manning/Brady era. It might yet blossom to that point, but it isn't there yet. To the point of your original OP, I would agree the matchup is a fun one with two great teams, but I'm not seeing how its evolved to anything that I would call a rivalry at this time (although their presense in the last two AFCCGs could spark one if they continue to be some of the best teams).

even if we're talking about only out of division rivalries in recent years I'd put Buffalo/KC above Cincinnati/KC at this point. The games between the two latter teams have been more memorable to me and are heavily anticipated as they've been the two dominant teams in the AFC in the regular season over the past few seasons (while the Bengals have struggled comparatively in the regular season). At the very least Id include Buffalo in a three-way rivalry at this point - it feels weird to exclude them.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Tough matchup, but I personally tend to think of rivalries as more historical + heated than just close games.

AND WE HATE THE RAIDERS AROUND HERE

How is blowing the Raiders out by 40+ every season a rivilary?  

Bengals vs Chiefs IS about a good of a rivalry as SF and Dallas. 2 straight afcc app. and no looking to stop in 2023

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chargers said:

Bengals vs Chiefs IS about a good of a rivalry as SF and Dallas.

until the Bengals win the SB or sustain it for longer than a couple season, its not even close imo.

SF/DAL rivalry of the early 90s includes three consecutive NFCCGs and four consecutive SB titles between the two (while they were vying against eachother for the most SB titles of all time), and a ton of jovial taunting between the two (Jimmy Johnson's "How Bout Them Cowboys" originated from here). Of course, this rivalry actually dates back to the late 60s/early 70s as well - in 1969, they tied on Thanksgiving Day and went to face off eachother in 1970 and 1971 in the NFCCG (and battled in the divisional round in 1971) and faced eachother in the NFCCG again a decade later in 1981 (with the 49ers finally winning one).

this sustained and storied history is what makes for a rivalry, at least in my mind.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

until the Bengals win the SB or sustain it for longer than a couple season, its not even close imo.

SF/DAL rivalry of the early 90s includes three consecutive NFCCGs and four consecutive SB titles between the two (while they were vying against eachother for the most SB titles of all time), and a ton of jovial taunting between the two (Jimmy Johnson's "How Bout Them Cowboys" originated from here). Of course, this rivalry actually dates back to the late 60s/early 70s as well - in 1969, they tied on Thanksgiving Day and went to face off eachother in 1970 and 1971 in the NFCCG (and battled in the divisional round in 1971) and faced eachother in the NFCCG again a decade later in 1981 (with the 49ers finally winning one).

this sustained and storied history is what makes for a rivalry, at least in my mind.

I guess thats where we differ. I dont care about entire history between the bengals vs chiefs. Nor do I think not winning the big 1 makes it any less a rivialry. Its recent bias but its easily the best matchup in the nfl and having 2 of the best QBs in the game seals for me. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chargers said:

How is blowing the Raiders out by 40+ every season a rivilary?  

Bengals vs Chiefs IS about a good of a rivalry as SF and Dallas. 2 straight afcc app. and no looking to stop in 2023

Because I get more satisfaction when we blow out the Raiders by 40 than I do when we beat the Bengals/Bills in a close game.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chargers said:

I guess thats where we differ. I dont care about entire history between the bengals vs chiefs. Nor do I think not winning the big 1 makes it any less a rivialry. Its recent bias but its easily the best matchup in the nfl and having 2 of the best QBs in the game seals for me. 

It very well may be the best matchup and arguably the two best QBs. None of that defines rivalry though.

A rivalry is more about the feelings than the quality of the teams.

46 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Because I get more satisfaction when we blow out the Raiders by 40 than I do when we beat the Bengals/Bills in a close game.

Divisional rivalries reign supreme

chiefs - raiders

cowboys - giants

packers - bears

bengals - steelers 

nothing compares to the yearly bloodbaths

Non divisional….

Cowboys v… 49ers/Steelers/Packers/Raiders… just about any legacy team…

Titans - Ravens

Patriots - Giants

Rams - Bucs

Chiefs - Bills

Vikings - Saints

Seahawks - Broncos

• Like 1

I think it’s more about being a great matchup between two high quality teams than it is a true rivalry. 

I don’t think there are any rivalries in the current NFL that exist as heated as some of the ones we’ve seen 10+ years ago. But maybe that’s the primacy bias in me. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chargers said:

Nooooo not even close. 

Chiefs/Bengals weren't penciled in as automatic SB champs 3 years in a row like 49ers/Cowboys were. You don't have a montage at the beginning of the current NFC title game like there was for the 94 AFC title game trying to let the nation know that their conference mattered.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I may be too far away from it to recognize it but I don't see it as a rivalry. It is a great matchup though.

6 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

A rivalry is more about the feelings than the quality of the teams.

1 hour ago, Soko said:

I think it’s more about being a great matchup between two high quality teams than it is a true rivalry. 

Maybe I’m underestimating the historical/longevity element in all this, but I think most here are also underestimating the animosity between these two - we really don’t like each other. It’s much more than two great teams duking it out. I don’t feel the same way about any other (great) team outside the division. 

As a Bengals fan, there is a storied rivalry between the us and the Ravens and Steelers, but at this point the team I would rather beat the most is the Chiefs. 

EDIT: Also looping in @TheKillerNacho.

Edited by SmittyBacall
  • Like 1