Is KC vs CIN the best rivalry in the NFL?

SmittyBacall

5 hours ago, TheGreatZepp said:

Divisional rivalries reign supreme

chiefs - raiders

cowboys - giants

packers - bears

bengals - steelers 

nothing compares to the yearly bloodbaths

Non divisional….

Cowboys v… 49ers/Steelers/Packers/Raiders… just about any legacy team…

Titans - Ravens

Patriots - Giants

Rams - Bucs

Chiefs - Bills

Vikings - Saints

Seahawks - Broncos

Fair enough. But could honestly say you’d rather watch any of these match ups in favor of CIN vs KC?

Could anyone name a rivalry match up that would garner more viewership at this point?

If we’re talking as of this moment, I believe it is. It’s clear there’s animosity between the two with the shots thrown at each other the past couple of years. Add in the top end talent and the fact they’ve been the AFC representative the past few years and I think it takes the top spot.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

for starters I dont even view them as a rivalry at this time - the Bengals have only become relevant in the last couple seasons and these things take time. Historically, it doesn't come close to SF/Dallas or NE/Indy during the Manning/Brady era. It might yet blossom to that point, but it isn't there yet. To the point of your original OP, I would agree the matchup is a fun one with two great teams, but I'm not seeing how its evolved to anything that I would call a rivalry at this time (although their presense in the last two AFCCGs could spark one if they continue to be some of the best teams).

even if we're talking about only out of division rivalries in recent years I'd put Buffalo/KC above Cincinnati/KC at this point. The games between the two latter teams have been more memorable to me and are heavily anticipated as they've been the two dominant teams in the AFC in the regular season over the past few seasons (while the Bengals have struggled comparatively in the regular season). At the very least Id include Buffalo in a three-way rivalry at this point - it feels weird to exclude them.

Cincy/KC is certainly a rivalry; whether it's the best in the league is another question entirely, however. If it's not, there aren't many current ones above it. History isn't everything; for example, I'm sure Chicago/GB or the NFC East matchups are huge for their fans but as a neutral, I'd much rather watch KC/Cincy. Those two have duked it out in the last two AFC title games, there's the "Burrowhead" thing, Mahomes dunking on Chase recently etc. 

Bills/Chiefs is a little overrated and seems to be based on little more than their divisional-round classic - the Chiefs have consistently gotten the better of Buffalo on all stages that matter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

Fair enough. But could honestly say you’d rather watch any of these match ups in favor of CIN vs KC?

Could anyone name a rivalry match up that would garner more viewership at this point?

None of those matchups are more interesting than KC/Cincy if we're talking about the current rosters.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Soko said:

I think it’s more about being a great matchup between two high quality teams than it is a true rivalry. 

I don’t think there are any rivalries in the current NFL that exist as heated as some of the ones we’ve seen 10+ years ago. But maybe that’s the primacy bias in me. 

I think this is correct. Its not a big tenures rivalry but its the most meaningful 

2 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

History isn't everything; for example, I'm sure Chicago/GB or the NFC East matchups are huge for their fans but as a neutral, I'd much rather watch KC/Cincy.

I think this is what it comes down to, at least for me. But again, I’m likely biased.

I’d agree with it being more of a three team race with the Bills. Certainly could get to the level of Pats-Colts or 49ers-Cowboys, but it’s far from there now.

Those were top teams constantly looking at the other down the stretch of the season for years and years. Not there yet.

I think I would be on board with it being the best non-divisional rivalry currently in the NFL?

4 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Maybe I’m underestimating the historical/longevity element in all this, but I think most here are also underestimating the animosity between these two - we really don’t like each other. It’s much more than two great teams duking it out. I don’t feel the same way about any other (great) team outside the division. 

As a Bengals fan, there is a storied rivalry between the us and the Ravens and Steelers, but at this point the team I would rather beat the most is the Chiefs. 

EDIT: Also looping in @TheKillerNacho.

I feel like the players might have a bit of animosity for sure, but I don't get a general hate vibe in KC towards the Bengals. The problem with the Bengals is that they have a history of struggling and so now that they are finding success, it's easy to cheer for them. They are a likable team. Are their players a bit cocky sometimes? Sure, but every team has players that talk too much. Are they a tough team that is always going to be hard to beat? No doubt, but so are the Bills and even the Chargers etc. It's more of a healthy respect imo.

Like if I'm in an elevator and I see a guy in a Bengals jersey, I'm usually happy to chat with him and maybe even add a little competitive banter.

If I see a guy in a Raiders jersey, I'm smashing the close door button while he's running to make it so that the guy can't rob me. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Dallas-Philly does during regular season games on the regular. If we met in the playoffs , let alone somehow in a NFCCG? Viewership wouldn't be close. Despite Dallas's lack of "playoff/SB" success the past 10,000 days or the NFCE hatred by some fans because they are always on TV. 

I understand the notion of KC-Cincy because it's "current " but we were also saying KC-Buff just 2 seasons ago as well after possibly the greatest playoff game in history. Just because they are the last two AFC SB "Representatives", doesn't mean it's the best in the NFL. Sorry!

Edited by Nabbs4u

13 hours ago, Soggust said:

Tough matchup, but I personally tend to think of rivalries as more historical + heated than just close games.

AND WE HATE THE RAIDERS AROUND HERE

Really? That's like hating the commanders. They haven't relevant in forever. Like who cares LOL

I think it could be on its way, but its not quite there yet.   There is zero historical significance and outside of the last 2 years, there is no connection between the two teams.

However, in a few years, I could absolutely see it being the new Manning/Brady-esque rivalry....but not necessarily Bengals/Chiefs rivalry, if that makes sense.    

• Like 1