Is KC vs CIN the best rivalry in the NFL?

SmittyBacall

5 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

Not only that.....the Bills haven't beaten the Chiefs in the playoffs, and then got SMACKED by the Bengals.

IMO the Chiefs/Bengals IS the premier rivalry right now....I don't understand bringing a historical element into it. We care about the Niners/Cowboys rivalry because of 92-95 - that's a span of four seasons. This will the third for the Chiefs/Bengals....so I like appreciating it while it's happening versus waiting until it's over and looking back.

We also cared about it because of the implications... Who could get to 5 first. They were 2 of the premier franchises in the league history. The Chiefs are on there way there, but the Bengals are far from it.

14 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

Not only that.....the Bills haven't beaten the Chiefs in the playoffs, and then got SMACKED by the Bengals.

IMO the Chiefs/Bengals IS the premier rivalry right now....I don't understand bringing a historical element into it. We care about the Niners/Cowboys rivalry because of 92-95 - that's a span of four seasons. This will the third for the Chiefs/Bengals....so I like appreciating it while it's happening versus waiting until it's over and looking back.

Lol the Bengals beat the Chiefs in the playoffs once (two years ago) then lost in the SB and lost to them in the playoffs last year. 

Last 3 match ups between the Bills/Chiefs:

• Bills W
  • Chiefs W 42-36 game of the year game 
  • Bills W

You can make the argument that the 13 seconds was fluky (yes it happened) but if the Bills just squib a kick off or don't play prevent, the Bills are 3-0 vs the Chiefs in the last 3 meetings. 

I know you've always disliked the bills but the recency biased is there.

The Bills had ZERO juice at the end of last season based on all the **** that happened in the 2022 season. After the Hamlin injury you can tell they were cooked. The Bills limped into the playoffs barely beating the Patriots (thanks to two Hines return TDs), barely beat the Skylar Thompson Dolphins in Round 1 then got smacked by the Bengals. 

Some posters mention needing a competitive balance between the two teams and I do understand that perspective. 

But for me personally, when I think of a "rival", my definition is the complete opposite.

I specifically envision an opponent that you care about beating, even when the stakes are low or the talent disparity is great. 

For example, I don't know if modern Cowboys fans hate the 49ers the same way that they might have in the 90s, imo. That felt more like a competitive rivalry. When I think of "Who are the Cowboys' rivals?", I immediately think of the Eagles (all NFCE obv but specifically PHI).

But again, I do understand other folks definition of "rivalry" could produce different answers.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 10:26 PM, SmittyBacall said:

Two top dogs in the AFC, the rare non-divisional rivalry between Kansas City and Cincinnati has developed into one of the better, most entertaining match ups you’ll see across the entire NFL. Even in the dog days of summer leading up to training camp, these two never seem to stop finding ways to agitate each other.

Given the talent of both teams, the Burrow vs Mahomes match up, etc., is there a better rivalry in the NFL right now?

Yes. Falcons-Saints. It's like a college rivalry. Even if both teams are terrible, people show up for those games and the two fan bases literally hate each other. We egged their bus like 2 years ago.

22 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Yes. Falcons-Saints. It's like a college rivalry. Even if both teams are terrible, people show up for those games and the two fan bases literally hate each other. We egged their bus like 2 years ago.

Maybe for Falcons/Saints fans, but the rest of the NFL isn’t interested in Carr and Ridder duking it out to go 9-8.

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

Maybe for Falcons/Saints fans, but the rest of the NFL isn’t interested in Carr and Ridder duking it out to go 9-8.

Who cares about the rest of the NFL being interested in it? Y'all asked who the best rivalry was. 90% of the NFL doesn't give a damn about Eagles-Cowboys. But that's still a great rivalry.

18 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Who cares about the rest of the NFL being interested in it? Y'all asked who the best rivalry was. 90% of the NFL doesn't give a damn about Eagles-Cowboys. But that's still a great rivalry.

That should obviously be a factor. Otherwise the question becomes "what's your favorite rivalry in the NFL?"

I mean... Falcons/Saints?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

That should obviously be a factor. Otherwise the question becomes "what's your favorite rivalry in the NFL?"

I mean... Falcons/Saints?

They've been rivals for over 50 years. Don't get a lot of play in the media because of how the franchises used to be terrible. When Brees and Ryan were going head to head, it took until 2011 or 2012 to even get prime time games. But that doesn't mean the rivalry isn't one of the best out there.

Edited by scar988

29 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Rivalry? They've played like 3 good competitive games in the last how many decades? I know the youth today are used to immediate reactions but this 'rivalry' really doesn't come close to many of the historical rivalries in the sport.

Which rivalry would you prefer to watch on Sunday?

48 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Depends on your definition of “best”, I guess.

And Eagles/Cowboys is a great match up right now, and I’m sure most fans would agree. 

42 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Rivalry? They've played like 3 good competitive games in the last how many decades? I know the youth today are used to immediate reactions but this 'rivalry' really doesn't come close to many of the historical rivalries in the sport.

It’s a rivalry because they both want the same thing and have the means to get it: The AFC Championship 

Chiefs have way more historical rivalries than Chiefs-Bengals. Our rivalries with the Raiders and Broncos are long running, we hate them more than anyone and never want to see them succeed. But since Mahomes became the starter, KC is a combined 20-1 against the Raiders and Broncos. That is laughable. 

Cincinnati as a franchise doesn’t stack up to KC when it comes to hardware and historical success (unlike LV and DEN), but they are talented and competent enough to keep us from reaching our goals today. Teams like the Broncos, Colts, Patriots and Raiders…aren’t. 

Edited by Nightime

13 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

So flavor of the month, recency bias? Gotcha!

Not 2 years ago it was Chiefs -Bills because they played possibly the best playoff game in NFL history?

Bengals have been relevant for 2 singular seasons, Chiefs-Bills almost 5. That's the difference. 

Chiefs and Bills have been rivals since Allen emerged in 2020. We swept them that year. 2021 and 2022 was just a continuation of the rivalry. 

These rivalries aren’t like Yankees Red Sox, but it’d be wrong to say they weren’t real. From like 2000-2017, Patriots-Steelers, Broncos-Patriots, and Broncos-Steelers all had rivalries with each other. 

Chiefs and Bills meetings go back to the 1960s, includes 5 playoff meetings, 3 of those with a berth in the SB at stake (1966, 1993, 2020). Bengals and Bills are our top AFC competition, and therefore rivals (for now).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The BILLievers said:

Lol the Bengals beat the Chiefs in the playoffs once (two years ago) then lost in the SB and lost to them in the playoffs last year. 

Last 3 match ups between the Bills/Chiefs:

• Bills W
  • Chiefs W 42-36 game of the year game 
  • Bills W

You can make the argument that the 13 seconds was fluky (yes it happened) but if the Bills just squib a kick off or don't play prevent, the Bills are 3-0 vs the Chiefs in the last 3 meetings. 

I know you've always disliked the bills but the recency biased is there.

The Bills had ZERO juice at the end of last season based on all the **** that happened in the 2022 season. After the Hamlin injury you can tell they were cooked. The Bills limped into the playoffs barely beating the Patriots (thanks to two Hines return TDs), barely beat the Skylar Thompson Dolphins in Round 1 then got smacked by the Bengals. 

Not always disliked. Just the last few years because....well because of posts like yours.

They've accomplished nothing, yet are media darlings and overrated every year. It's annoying. I said after the Bengals destroyed them that if ANYONE says it's any team other than the Chiefs/Bengals in the AFC right now, I'd have an issue with it. Same would go for the Dolphins, Jets, Broncos (unlikely to be as hyped this year), Chargers, etc.

Yes they've beaten the Chiefs in the regular season, cool. The Bengals are also 2-0 against the Chiefs in the last two regular season games. For an extreme example, go ask a Niners fan if they'd rather have their 8 straight regular season wins over the Rams or trade those for the NFCCG.

There always seems to be something to excuse why the Bills don't get the job done in the playoffs. Time to just accept the fact that the Chiefs and Bengals are a tier above until the Bills actually beat  one of them in the playoffs. Oh and those match ups?

Only one was close, and their number one defense gave up 42 points

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Not always disliked. Just the last few years because....well because of posts like yours.

They've accomplished nothing, yet are media darlings and overrated every year. It's annoying. I said after the Bengals destroyed them that if ANYONE says it's any team other than the Chiefs/Bengals in the AFC right now, I'd have an issue with it. Same would go for the Dolphins, Jets, Broncos (unlikely to be as hyped this year), Chargers, etc.

Yes they've beaten the Chiefs in the regular season, cool. The Bengals are also 2-0 against the Chiefs in the last two regular season games. For an extreme example, go ask a Niners fan if they'd rather have their 8 straight regular season wins over the Rams or trade those for the NFCCG.

There always seems to be something to excuse why the Bills don't get the job done in the playoffs. Time to just accept the fact that the Chiefs and Bengals are a tier above until the Bills actually beat  one of them in the playoffs. Oh and those match ups?

Only one was close, and their number one defense gave up 42 points

I don't get how they're overrated when they have the 2nd best record in the NFL over the last 3 years. Chiefs 40-10, Bills 37-12, Packers 34-16. I'm so sorry that 13 seconds game 2 years ago and last years Bengals game has turned you off so much but at the end of the day the Bengals have 0 super bowls in the last 3 years and the Bills have 0 super bowls in the last 3 years. Overrated is a team like the Chargers or Dolphins where they've never really proved anything but their roster on paper gives them more credibility. 

Have the Bills won the SB? No. But they've won the AFC East the past 3 years and have never been one and done in the playoffs the last 3 years.

I accept the Chiefs are on a tier of their own but not the Bengals.