Is KC vs CIN the best rivalry in the NFL?

SmittyBacall

2 hours ago, 43M said:

I think it could be on its way, but its not quite there yet.   There is zero historical significance and outside of the last 2 years, there is no connection between the two teams.

However, in a few years, I could absolutely see it being the new Manning/Brady-esque rivalry....but not necessarily Bengals/Chiefs rivalry, if that makes sense.    

this is exactly the way I think.. And I. want to think my guy is the best, but Mahomes is just ridiculous. 

Hope the Bengals can get them a few more times in the playoffs.  The games are super exciting and have all been like 3 point games... 

• Like 1

Depends on what you want in your rivalry. As someone who follows all the KC related stuff on Twitter and all, it's definitely the team that has the most public animosity and smack talk going on with us. But I can get those who say there's basically no history there whatsoever, and this has basically only been particularly relevant for like 2 seasons now. You could probably find like 50+ matchups around the NFL with more meaningful history than KC/CIN. There have been like 0 nationally relevant games between the two prior to these past couple seasons. I don't think we had ever met in the post season prior to the 2021 season, unless I'm really forgetting something. The number of seasons where both teams have been particularly competitive is not high. Just the Chiefs have more history with most of the rest of the AFC, honestly, let alone all the other historic rivalries around the league. But there has been a lot of chatter the past two years between the two teams, and I do think each would probably say the other is their biggest threat right now.

It's just weird to evaluate historic rivalries, because like, KC/Raiders and KC/Broncos are much bigger rivalries all time for us, but neither of those teams have really held up their end of the bargain for awhile, so they're kind of eh right now. Like, Packers/Bears is always one marketed as a big deal, but Green Bay has owned that for like 30 years now, save for a little patch there in the mid-2000s.

So this might be the hottest current matchup. Both highly competitive teams, a lot of dialogue and animosity between them, really high stakes recent matchups. Like, Bills/KC gets attention, but Buffalo hasn't won any of the meaningful ones there yet. I feel like the NFC just doesn't have as much going on right now in general. So it might be the Chiefs/Bengals at the moment. Just depends on what you're looking for here, I think.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2023 at 12:13 AM, Soggust said:

Because I get more satisfaction when we blow out the Raiders by 40 than I do when we beat the Bengals/Bills in a close game.

As a Bills fan, I really don't care about the Chiefs. Now the Dolphins? Oh man, that hatred flows deep. 

• Like 2

If the Bengals won a super bowl maybe but no. Now if the Bengals/Chiefs make the AFC Championship game again and the Bengals win I would consider it. 

The Chiefs/Bills rivalry was bigger than Chiefs/Bengals up until last years playoffs. 

Bills have beat the Chiefs both times in the regular season the past two years but lost the 13 seconds game; then last year was a train wreck vs the Bengals.

If the Chiefs/Bills meet in the AFC Championship game this year then it would revert back to Chiefs/Bills as the main AFC rivalry. If the narrative is that easy to change, the original narrative probably isn't that strong. 

Edited by The BILLievers

On 6/16/2023 at 10:37 PM, Chargers said:

How is blowing the Raiders out by 40+ every season a rivilary?  

Bengals vs Chiefs IS about a good of a rivalry as SF and Dallas. 2 straight afcc app. and no looking to stop in 2023

It hasn't been like that historically.  Most rivalries are bult over time.   KC and CIN is only a recent phenomenon.

On 6/17/2023 at 12:08 AM, TheGreatZepp said:

Divisional rivalries reign supreme

chiefs - raiders

cowboys - giants

packers - bears

bengals - steelers 

nothing compares to the yearly bloodbaths

Non divisional….

Cowboys v… 49ers/Steelers/Packers/Raiders… just about any legacy team…

Titans - Ravens

Patriots - Giants

Rams - Bucs

Chiefs - Bills

Vikings - Saints

Seahawks - Broncos

Historically the Bears have been a big rival for GB but in the last couple of decades MN has been just as big if not a bigger foe.

I think it's all a matter of opinion at the end of the day. I think the KC vs Cin has the most venom currently, you get the vibe that there's some genuine dislike at times but after the game it's all hugs and handshakes. 

Me personally, I love the matchup of Patty vs Josh. During those 3 hours I hate Josh lol but before and after I think he's awesome 😎

• Like 1

I remember hearing this during the Sea-SF days back in the early 2010s. The answer is the same as it was then; It's Steelers-Ravens. The games are always close. And the franchises are so well run that they're at least going to be quality teams.

2 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I think it's all a matter of opinion at the end of the day. I think the KC vs Cin has the most venom currently, you get the vibe that there's some genuine dislike at times but after the game it's all hugs and handshakes. 

Me personally, I love the matchup of Patty vs Josh. During those 3 hours I hate Josh lol but before and after I think he's awesome 😎

I've been to Arrowhead the past two seasons/years for both regular season games and this seems to be the thought with most Chiefs fans I talk to during tailgates. Lotta respect between the teams.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2023 at 9:14 AM, The BILLievers said:

If the Bengals won a super bowl maybe but no. Now if the Bengals/Chiefs make the AFC Championship game again and the Bengals win I would consider it. 

The Chiefs/Bills rivalry was bigger than Chiefs/Bengals up until last years playoffs. 

Bills have beat the Chiefs both times in the regular season the past two years but lost the 13 seconds game; then last year was a train wreck vs the Bengals.

If the Chiefs/Bills meet in the AFC Championship game this year then it would revert back to Chiefs/Bills as the main AFC rivalry. If the narrative is that easy to change, the original narrative probably isn't that strong. 

Has there been any extra-curriculars or bad blood in those games? I don't remember seeing any.

5 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Has there been any extra-curriculars or bad blood in those games? I don't remember seeing any.

Not only that.....the Bills haven't beaten the Chiefs in the playoffs, and then got SMACKED by the Bengals.

IMO the Chiefs/Bengals IS the premier rivalry right now....I don't understand bringing a historical element into it. We care about the Niners/Cowboys rivalry because of 92-95 - that's a span of four seasons. This will the third for the Chiefs/Bengals....so I like appreciating it while it's happening versus waiting until it's over and looking back.

3 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

IMO the Chiefs/Bengals IS the premier rivalry right now....I don't understand bringing a historical element into it

So flavor of the month, recency bias? Gotcha!

Not 2 years ago it was Chiefs -Bills because they played possibly the best playoff game in NFL history?

Bengals have been relevant for 2 singular seasons, Chiefs-Bills almost 5. That's the difference.