2023 Off-Season Thread: Lillard traded to Bucks!!! Jrue rerouted to Celtics!

11sanchez11

2 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Warriors can’t seriously be going to next season with just Kevon and Dray as their front line. Lmao, no way. 

Saric is the best option for them and reportedly there is interest on his side. Think he’s just waiting to see if someone will give him for the the vet minimum 

Thought Landale could be one as well but the Rockets gave him a contract that I’m not even sure he thought he could get.

Edited by agarcia34

6 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Portland is a loser for the garbage roster they’ve given him every year 

Dame is a loser for taking over half a billion in contracts from Portland, taking zero discounts to force those rosters, and for not being good enough to win anything with then demanding a trade to a single destination with garbage assets.

Edited by Mox

2 hours ago, Mox said:

Dame is a loser for taking over half a billion in contracts from Portland, taking zero discounts to force those rosters, and for not being good enough to win anything with then demanding a trade to a single destination with garbage assets.

Why would he take a discount? Portland didn’t have an issue handing out stupid contracts. Dames deal didn’t stop them from giving grant 150M. Dame wasn’t the problem. Portland was. 

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Why would he take a discount? Portland didn’t have an issue handing out stupid contracts. Dames deal didn’t stop them from giving grant 150M. Dame wasn’t the problem. Portland was. 

>Calls Portland loser for putting garbage roster around Dame

>Doesn't approve of Portland trying to retain talent

??

• Like 1

Grant is a good player. That contract is 2 years too long, but his annual salary isn't too far off of market value.

But they have consistently made poor decisions regarding the contracts they've given to players around Lillard. Nurkic, Allen Crabbe, Evan Turner, Meyers Leonard, and so many more just being anchors to their ceiling and being paid so much.

And double and tripling down on the Lillard-McCollum duo when everyone knew those 2 together couldn't win a title was a choice. I get that they were productive and weren't a bad duo at all (the right supporting cast could have made them work), but it capped their chances. They should have traded McCollum after Golden State swept them.

Thoughts

Rockets future clearly depends on rather or not Green, Smith Jr. and Amen pans out.  If they do not pan out then the Rockets might be screwed for a while.  They just need one of them to because the future star thats expected of them. 

VanVleet signing:

The fact that the 3rd year in the 3 year 130 million dollar deal is a team option makes me a little better.  3 years isn't a long contract.  He will be 31 when he is off the books (assuming the Rockets pick up his option)and it wont interfere with the Rockets giving their young players extensions.  He fills a huge need for us.  We need a veteran table setter at the PG position.  It allows Amen Thompson to develop for a year or two off the bench.  It also means Kevin Porter Jr. is no longer playing the PG position. I love the fact VanFleet can play off the ball as well. 

Dillon Brooks signing:

I honestly can't think of anyway to defend this move.  It's not even the fact he ran his mouth in the playoffs vs the Lakers and got exposed.  It's the fact I never felt he is worth 80 million dollars.  One thing for sure, just like VanVleet he is a very good defensive player.  He was 2nd team all defense this past season.  The offense from him Is what I'm worried about.  He never was a good shooter.  He isn't even a good scorer.  I'm curious to see how he will be used on this roster.  He will no doubt start at SF this season which I have no concerns about. I think Cam Whitmore will eventually take over as the starting SF as soon as next season.  Will Brooks be happy coming off the bench? Thats something to monitor, but I'm not a fan of this move.

Jock Landale signing:

Definitely an overpay but he is a solid backup C.  Not expecting much from him other than backing up Sengun.  I believe only the first year of his contract is guaranteed so thats not bad. 

Trading TyTy Washington and Usman Garuba to the Hawks:

We got fleeced.  No if, ands or buts about it.  It's too soon to give up on either one.  TyTy Washington never got a fair shake getting playing time at PG as a rookie.  Silas was stupid giving Nix playing time throughout the season.  I wouldnt be shocked if Washington reach his potential backing up Trae Young in Atlanta.  I was a huge fan of Garuba when the Rockets drafted him.  He has the potential to be an elite defender.  He can guard all 5 positions truly.  His only issue is if he can develop any offensive game.  He is a hard worker so knowing the Rockets luck, he will reach his potential on another team.  The trade was terrible.  We even gave up picks along with the 2 players SMH.

Trading Kenyon Martin Jr. to Clippers:

This trade was awful too.  Martin Jr. wanted to be traded around this time last season and I fully expected him to start at SF this upcoming season.  With the additions of Whitmore and Brooks I dont see any way Martin would become the starter.   Those 2 second round picks will be useless.  We basically got nothing for him.  Good job Stone!

Jeff Green signing:

This a move I can get behind.  We need more veterans in the locker room and Green fits that bill.  I dont expect him to get major minutes behind Jabari but the deal is only for 1 year 6 mil.  It's not the end of the world.  I enjoyed his first stint with the Rockets during the bubble season.

Edited by Texansfan713

55 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Thoughts

Rockets future clearly depends on rather or not Green, Smith Jr. and Amen pans out.  If they do not pan out then the Rockets might be screwed for a while.  They just need one of them to because the future star thats expected of them. 

VanVleet signing:

The fact that the 3rd year in the 3 year 130 million dollar deal is a team option makes me a little better.  3 years isn't a long contract.  He will be 31 when he is off the books (assuming the Rockets pick up his option)and it wont interfere with the Rockets giving their young players extensions.  He fills a huge need for us.  We need a veteran table setter at the PG position.  It allows Amen Thompson to develop for a year or two off the bench.  It also means Kevin Porter Jr. is no longer playing the PG position. I love the fact VanFleet can play off the ball as well. 

Dillon Brooks signing:

I honestly can't think of anyway to defend this move.  It's not even the fact he ran his mouth in the playoffs vs the Lakers and got exposed.  It's the fact I never felt he is worth 80 million dollars.  One thing for sure, just like VanVleet he is a very good defensive player.  He was 2nd team all defense this past season.  The offense from him Is what I'm worried about.  He never was a good shooter.  He isn't even a good scorer.  I'm curious to see how he will be used on this roster.  He will no doubt start at SF this season which I have no concerns about. I think Cam Whitmore will eventually take over as the starting SF as soon as next season.  Will Brooks be happy coming off the bench? Thats something to monitor, but I'm not a fan of this move.

Jock Landale signing:

Definitely an overpay but he is a solid backup C.  Not expecting much from him other than backing up Sengun.  I believe only the first year of his contract is guaranteed so thats not bad. 

Trading TyTy Washington and Usman Garuba to the Hawks:

We got fleeced.  No if, ands or buts about it.  It's too soon to give up on either one.  TyTy Washington never got a fair shake getting playing time at PG as a rookie.  Silas was stupid giving Nix playing time throughout the season.  I wouldnt be shocked if Washington reach his potential backing up Trae Young in Atlanta.  I was a huge fan of Garuba when the Rockets drafted him.  He has the potential to be an elite defender.  He can guard all 5 positions truly.  His only issue is if he can develop any offensive game.  He is a hard worker so knowing the Rockets luck, he will reach his potential on another team.  The trade was terrible.  We even gave up picks along with the 2 players SMH.

Trading Kenyon Martin Jr. to Clippers:

This trade was awful too.  Martin Jr. wanted to be traded around this time last season and I fully expected him to start at SF this upcoming season.  With the additions of Whitmore and Brooks I dont see any way Martin would become the starter.   Those 2 second round picks will be useless.  We basically got nothing for him.  Good job Stone!

Jeff Green signing:

This a move I can get behind.  We need more veterans in the locker room and Green fits that bill.  I dont expect him to get major minutes behind Jabari but the deal is only for 1 year 6 mil.  It's not the end of the world.  I enjoyed his first stint with the Rockets during the bubble season.

FREE SENGUN

2 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Grant is a good player. That contract is 2 years too long, but his annual salary isn't too far off of market value.

But they have consistently made poor decisions regarding the contracts they've given to players around Lillard. Nurkic, Allen Crabbe, Evan Turner, Meyers Leonard, and so many more just being anchors to their ceiling and being paid so much.

And double and tripling down on the Lillard-McCollum duo when everyone knew those 2 together couldn't win a title was a choice. I get that they were productive and weren't a bad duo at all (the right supporting cast could have made them work), but it capped their chances. They should have traded McCollum after Golden State swept them.

And by the time they traded McCollum they got a bag of rocks for him

6 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Idk to win? If he was so loyal he would've tried to do things to help them win, right? Portland was certainly not always run well but always tried to compete with him. Instead he stuck around until he could get one last mega deal, then asks out less than a year later to one specific spot. He did the same thing Beal did, he just waited longer. It's woefully naive to think Dame isn't a large part of the problem with them not winning anything.

Edited by Mox

50 minutes ago, Kingram said:

And by the time they traded McCollum they got a bag of rocks for him

Yup. Trading him in the summer of 2019 was the perfect opportunity. Portland knew they couldn't work anymore and McCollum was smack dab in the middle of his prime on a good contract.