Rams bring back RB Sony Michel; retires

TheKillerNacho

2 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

A team with Stafford, Kupp, Donald and McVay is the most "#1 Overall Pick" team of all-time?

Stafford is beyond cooked, the OL is garbage, Donald is the only good piece on that defense, and even he is starting to decline, or at least stop caring. How did the Rams improve from last year?

2 hours ago, HerbertGOAT said:

Stafford is beyond cooked, the OL is garbage, Donald is the only good piece on that defense, and even he is starting to decline, or at least stop caring. How did the Rams improve from last year?

A guy that just led the Rams to a Super Bowl win and had a playoff run where he had three consecutive game winning drives 17 months ago is "beyond cooked"? We will have to agree to disagree on that one.

Saying the OL is garbage is beyond lazy. Last season we had historic - and that's literal, not hyperbole - injuries to the OL. That led to everything on the offense breaking down. Stafford, Kupp and Donald all missed significant time - the positive regression on OL injuries (plus Avila and Bruss who were our two highest picks the last two years), Stafford, Kupp and AD is an insane improvement over last year. 

The defense will likely be bad - but the defense wasn't good last year either. The offense has a great chance to be as good as the defense is bad, which should lead to 7-10 wins in the NFC.

Which would be a far cry from the most "#1 Overall Pick" team of all time.

17 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

A guy that just led the Rams to a Super Bowl win and had a playoff run where he had three consecutive game winning drives 17 months ago is "beyond cooked"? We will have to agree to disagree on that one.

Saying the OL is garbage is beyond lazy. Last season we had historic - and that's literal, not hyperbole - injuries to the OL. That led to everything on the offense breaking down. Stafford, Kupp and Donald all missed significant time - the positive regression on OL injuries (plus Avila and Bruss who were our two highest picks the last two years), Stafford, Kupp and AD is an insane improvement over last year. 

The defense will likely be bad - but the defense wasn't good last year either. The offense has a great chance to be as good as the defense is bad, which should lead to 7-10 wins in the NFC.

Which would be a far cry from the most "#1 Overall Pick" team of all time.

I love Stafford, and that 2021 season was magical, but Stafford looked 2010 Favre-esque whenever I saw the Rams last season. Combined with his reported issues with his elbow and he's probably not recovering and rebounding to pre-2022 form. Granted, you've obviously watched the Rams more than I have so I won't argue with you very strongly. Just from my perspective, the Rams are one of the more likely teams to end up with the #1 overall pick along with the Cardinals and Raiders.

On 6/30/2023 at 4:41 PM, HerbertGOAT said:

I love Stafford, and that 2021 season was magical, but Stafford looked 2010 Favre-esque whenever I saw the Rams last season. Combined with his reported issues with his elbow and he's probably not recovering and rebounding to pre-2022 form. Granted, you've obviously watched the Rams more than I have so I won't argue with you very strongly. Just from my perspective, the Rams are one of the more likely teams to end up with the #1 overall pick along with the Cardinals and Raiders.

That elbow injury last year was real. He didn't throw at all during the offseason. That's already changed this offseason.

I think the main reason he looked like that was the OL and specifically the injuries....he got hit A LOT.

I think you're probably right that rebounding to pre 2022 form may not be realistic....although 2021 was his best season (if you factor in the playoffs) - so it's a pretty weird case study.

The schedule starts out BRUTAL, so I definitely think it's possible we're worse than I am thinking. I just trust McVay and Kupp was neck and neck with Jefferson last year when he went down, despite how bad the rest of the offense was - and AD is still AD. Ultimately it'll hinge on the OL and Stafford....the defense won't be good. But McVay has typically fixed things (2019 the OL was bad, everyone was down on us, 2020 we bounced back and won a playoff game) and I like the talent on the OL for the most part. Then it just comes down to Stafford.

I just think there's a huge gap between us and the Cardinals/Raiders and some other teams, but the public consensus on the Rams has been closer to what you're saying. I think we'll make the playoffs, but it'll be fun to watch how it all unfolds.

On 6/29/2023 at 8:53 PM, TheKillerNacho said:

Last I checked one had to field 11 players on both sides of the ball

QB driven league, homie. A team with a legit QB, a few stars, some solid dudes, and filler can be competitive, particularly when that team has a great coach.

Edited by jrry32

On 7/2/2023 at 1:18 PM, FrantikRam said:

That elbow injury last year was real. He didn't throw at all during the offseason. That's already changed this offseason.

I think the main reason he looked like that was the OL and specifically the injuries....he got hit A LOT.

I think you're probably right that rebounding to pre 2022 form may not be realistic....although 2021 was his best season (if you factor in the playoffs) - so it's a pretty weird case study.

The schedule starts out BRUTAL, so I definitely think it's possible we're worse than I am thinking. I just trust McVay and Kupp was neck and neck with Jefferson last year when he went down, despite how bad the rest of the offense was - and AD is still AD. Ultimately it'll hinge on the OL and Stafford....the defense won't be good. But McVay has typically fixed things (2019 the OL was bad, everyone was down on us, 2020 we bounced back and won a playoff game) and I like the talent on the OL for the most part. Then it just comes down to Stafford.

I just think there's a huge gap between us and the Cardinals/Raiders and some other teams, but the public consensus on the Rams has been closer to what you're saying. I think we'll make the playoffs, but it'll be fun to watch how it all unfolds.

I don't know how well a 35-year-old QB who's already been injured before is going to rebound from a throwing arm elbow injury. I suppose we'll see, and I hope he does. Another thing is McVay's job security is through the roof, so even if they were to get the number 1 overall pick he'd be very safe. I could see them angling to give McVay a very shiny toy to play with in Caleb Williams regardless of if they're actually bad enough to get the #1 pick outright.

On 6/30/2023 at 4:41 PM, HerbertGOAT said:

Going from "the most #1 overall pick team of all time" to "one of 3 teams that are most likely to get it" is quite the walkback. 

I think the Rams will surprise this year, but don't have an issue with anyone thinking we'll have another bad year. Saying we'll be one of the worst teams of all time though is laughable. 

On 6/23/2023 at 6:40 PM, HerbertGOAT said:

The Los Angeles Rams are going to be the most "#1 Overall Pick" team of all-time.

Not kidding when I say 2022 Sony Michel is the worst RB I have ever seen. And I have watched Jermaine Fazande, Larry Rountree, and Gartrell Johnson.

Interesting how bringing a vet back in who's familiar with our offense makes us the #1 overall pick? That's quite a stretch. We have questions and a lot of youth on defense but Sony Michel likely doesn't have much of an impact on gamedays. 

So, I could kind of understand concerns about Stafford's health. If that's a serious issue, the Rams could certainly be terrible. But I don't think they'll see a repeat of last year's injury situation. 4 different QBs, like 17 different offensive linemen, Ben Skowronek started multiple games, all of their stars but Ramsey struggled with health like all year. I don't think all of that is going to repeat. If it does, or if Stafford is basically done, they could certainly be awful.

But otherwise, I think this is an instance where people really underrated the impact of coaching. I 100% understand looking at the Rams depth chart, and not being super confident. But I would argue that for years now the Rams have had some top heavy talent (guys like Ramsey, Kupp, Donald, etc.), and a bunch of UDFAs and mid/low round young guys and value trade/free agency adds that didn't work out for their original team. Like, their superbowl offense had Kupp and Stafford, but after that? Sony Michel, Darrell Henderson, Tyler Higbee, Van Jefferson, OBJ, Ben Skowronek. Wasn't really a star studded cast. You had Whitworth at LT, but the rest of the OL wasn't comprised of big names. Same deal on D. You had Donald and Ramsey, but that starting defense got filled out by Taylor Rapp, Jordan Fuller, Darious Williams, Troy Reeder, Kenny Young, Greg Gaines, Ernest Jones, David Long, etc. The Rams whole deal has been a few very key dominant anchor pieces, surrounded by young, cheap players that can be coached up to perform well enough. And a ton of them are guys that have been crap elsewhere once they leave LAR's coaching and culture. Austin Corbett and John Johnson were not good for Cleveland. Michel and Joseph-Day for LAC. Woods for Tennessee. Floyd for Chicago. Joyner was a huge disappointment for the Raiders. And on and on.

The Rams have the kind of coaching staff that consistently elevates the talent they have (except Allen Robinson.) Their depth chart is loaded with rookies, UDFAs, etc., and somehow half of them will be good starters by midseason. And in a few years they'll be overpaid and bust elsewhere. Wouldn't shock me at all to see Michel suddenly become a contributor again jumping back to LAR. But it would shock me, if Kupp/Donald/Stafford make it through the season, that they get anywhere near the 1st overall pick. They might not be great, but I'd bet against them being terrible as well.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

More like 5 or 6 NFL guys and the other 40+ players are basically from the local YMCA.

Something tells me you don't think every guy the Broncos drafted this year is "basically from the local YMCA." And considering our team has more than six dudes who started on our Super Bowl team (Stafford, Kupp, Donald, Havenstein, Allen, Akers, Fuller, Ernest Jones, Van Jefferson, and Higbee), that would mean we had "local YMCA" players starting on a squad that won the Super Bowl. Just because you haven't heard of some dudes doesn't mean they're bums.

6 hours ago, JonStark said:

Going from "the most #1 overall pick team of all time" to "one of 3 teams that are most likely to get it" is quite the walkback. 

I think the Rams will surprise this year, but don't have an issue with anyone thinking we'll have another bad year. Saying we'll be one of the worst teams of all time though is laughable. 

I'm not expecting a great year, but barring a major Stafford injury, I expect we'll be somewhere in the middle of the pack.