Hard Knocks

dcat

It's amazing how inactive this board is when this is the most talented Jets team we have had ever. 

Watching how excited the Jets are for Rodgers to be their QB and how they actually believe they have a chance in every game now because they have one of the best to ever do it is awesome. 

I think Rodgers is the best thing to have happened to Wilson, he seems to be slowly regaining his confidence. Whether he'll ever be a legit starting QB, who knows. But at least he is in a position now to actually improve. It seems like Wilson has embraced this opportunity and been putting in the work to get better. 

14 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

It feels good to finally be a team that has a chance again. I hope Rodgers breaks our QB season records.

I believe he is primed to have a big season. He seems motivated and happy, he seemed frustrated last season in GB. He still throws a great ball and just brings all those other intangibles. Being able to read a defense, pre snap adjustments, and the leadership he is bringing making other guys step their games up. 

18 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Watching how excited the Jets are for Rodgers to be their QB and how they actually believe they have a chance in every game now because they have one of the best to ever do it is awesome. 

Honestly, I had a much different reaction.

They (players & coaches) treat him like a god. It's a weird dynamic and I don't know how that'll play out, either way, wasn't a huge fan.

He's Aaron Rodgers, I get it, but at what point does the locker room (especially the coaching staff) start viewing him as our QB and not a celebrity.

No slight against Rodgers, he's exceeded every expectation since getting here, just think that dynamic needs to shift for us to be a great "team"

1 hour ago, NJC33 said:

Honestly, I had a much different reaction.

They (players & coaches) treat him like a god. It's a weird dynamic and I don't know how that'll play out, either way, wasn't a huge fan.

He's Aaron Rodgers, I get it, but at what point does the locker room (especially the coaching staff) start viewing him as our QB and not a celebrity.

No slight against Rodgers, he's exceeded every expectation since getting here, just think that dynamic needs to shift for us to be a great "team"

This much is clear. This is Rodgers team now.  He's certainly running the show on offense with Hackett as his dispatcher.  And I am sorry to say, Saleh is about the equivalent to a cheerleader as it appears.  I really don't see the mental fabric of a HC in him.  Even my son said after episode 1, that Saleh really has nothing of importance to teach or say.  Back in the day he would be called a meathead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcat said:

And I am sorry to say, Saleh is about the equivalent to a cheerleader as it appears. 

Perhaps, but he is certainly getting the D in order.  Give him that.  He was hired to be that "CEO" HC.  He will let Hackett and Rodgers run the show on O, as he should.  His positivity can be taxing at times especially when we are playing bad.  I would not mind hearing a little more reality from him.

3 hours ago, dcat said:

This much is clear. This is Rodgers team now.  He's certainly running the show on offense with Hackett as his dispatcher.  And I am sorry to say, Saleh is about the equivalent to a cheerleader as it appears.  I really don't see the mental fabric of a HC in him.  Even my son said after episode 1, that Saleh really has nothing of importance to teach or say.  Back in the day he would be called a meathead.

Part of the HC job is to be the CEO. Let his coordinators coach, motivate the team, keep the team together, and focused on winning. The Jets under Saleh seem to have a very positive locker room that is hungry to win. That is part of the culture that Saleh has brought to the building. Saleh is a positive optimistic guy who players respect and love. Because he is not Belichick or Payton and walk around causing players to be on egg shells, doesn't mean his way is wrong.  Last season our biggest issue was we had no QB, otherwise we would have been a playoff team.  We'll see how he does with Rodgers as his QB. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xrade said:

Perhaps, but he is certainly getting the D in order.  Give him that.  He was hired to be that "CEO" HC.  He will let Hackett and Rodgers run the show on O, as he should.  His positivity can be taxing at times especially when we are playing bad.  I would not mind hearing a little more reality from him.

And I don't see it as a negative that he doesn't have a ego and is willing to learn from a 4 time MVP QB and one of the all time greats at the position. Rodgers is obviously very smart and knows ball. This isn't a young QB being developed, this is a all time great who many players are going to be in awe of. He is going to make everyone better as he is a leader and automatically commands respect when he walked through those doors. 

Having a QB like Rodgers makes players believe they have a shot. Last season we were ending the season with 0 TD in a month, that has to leave the defense feeling miserable as they know if they make 1 mistake and give up a TD the game is over with. 

Edited by NYJets4716

On 8/11/2023 at 9:06 AM, dcat said:

Welcome to the world of Aaron Rodgers being your starting quarterback. We've gone though it twice in Green Bay. First time was with Favre. No organization should ever give away that much control to one player. The Packers did it twice and lived to speak about it. 

I have nothing against Aaron Rodgers or the Jets. I'm just glad the circus left down, again. 

Your post seems brutally honest and accurate to me. 

25 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Welcome to the world of Aaron Rodgers being your starting quarterback. We've gone though it twice in Green Bay. First time was with Favre. No organization should ever give away that much control to one player. The Packers did it twice and lived to speak about it. 

I have nothing against Aaron Rodgers or the Jets. I'm just glad the circus left down, again. 

Your post seems brutally honest and accurate to me. 

That tends to happen when you have a star HOF QB. Brady went to the Bucs, it was his team. Manning went to the Broncos it was his team.  Rodgers seems to be a really good teammate and leader, but when you are one of the all time greats and players grew up watching you they are going to be in awe. He is making guys better though, making them more accountable and making them pay attention to the details. 

HBO of course is going to make it all about Rodgers because that is where the buzz is coming from and it generated a lot of viewers for their show. 

The Jets had put together a good football team before Rodgers, when you had the poor QB play we had last season where guys literally had no hope towards the end because the QB was giving us nothing every week. Then you add a HOF QB, yeah it changes the attitudes of the locker room. 

One thing I saw was how Garrett Wilson said how he didn't really understand the offense last season, Zach Wilson made some comments about how confusing it was, and some other players. It sounds like players weren't thrilled with MLF as a OC. 

2 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

It sounds like players weren't thrilled with MLF as a OC

Nobody was / is. His own brother probably thinks he es no bueno.  I also think he is an arrogant little prick.  Too bad NE hired O’Brien instead of LePew.  Imagine if he was still here with Rodgers.  One of them would not have made through preseason.

Other than LePew completely sucking as an OC and even worse as a people person, he was ******* great!

On 8/9/2023 at 7:47 PM, jetfuel34 said:

Is there any way to watch it besides max

I signed up for Max this week (and I don't do any streaming services really) and will cancel after a month. First streaming subscription I ever paid for that wasn't a give away or trial version.

Was worth every penny. Loved episode 1. 

The novelty of Hard Knocks has obviously worn off over the years, but it just never gets old for the junkies like me. I'm hoping they explore other storylines and leave the main ones aside besides maybe the final episode or so.

Edited by WheatieMan

On 8/11/2023 at 9:06 AM, dcat said:

Think you're being too harsh. Saleh has been as advertised. He did turn the defense around. If the defense relapses or starts having late game break downs, then the jury will be out. But I see him as a sort of Tony Dungy or even Brian Billick type of coach but with the personality. He can have a Pete Carrol type of career in the pros. Offense just isn't his thing, and he needs at minimum a borderline HoF QB to win. But that's not his department. 

Edited by WheatieMan

5 hours ago, WheatieMan said:

Think you're being too harsh. Saleh has been as advertised. He did turn the defense around. If the defense relapses or starts having late game break downs, then the jury will be out. But I see him as a sort of Tony Dungy or even Brian Billick type of coach but with the personality. He can have a Pete Carrol type of career in the pros. Offense just isn't his thing, and he needs at minimum a borderline HoF QB to win. But that's not his department. 

That is the majority of HCs though. How many are winning SBs without a HOF QB?  Bill Belichick has been very mid since he lost Brady. 

When Saleh said every team is searching for a top tier QB and how they change buildings, change locker rooms. He is speaking the 100% truth. If you land a top tier QB your life is now easier, these true franchise QB elevate the entire team.