The 2023 All-NFC North Team: Center

swede700

Who should be the starting C for the All-NFC North team?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting C for the All-NFC North team?

• Garrett Bradbury (Min)
    • Frank Ragnow (Det)
    • Cody Whitehair (Chi)
    • Josh Myers (GB)
    • Other (State preference in thread)

Once again, not particularly close, although I agree with the poster that Nixon could have a valid argument, but as of right now, Kene gets the nod as the division's kick returner.  Next up, the All-NFC North center...

All-NFC North Team

Offense

QB (1): Kirk Cousins (Min)

RB (1): Aaron Jones (GB)

WR (3): Justin Jefferson (Min), Amon-Ra St. Brown (Det), DJ Moore (Chi)

TE (1):

LT: Christian Darrisaw (Min)

LG:

C :

RG: Nate Davis (Chi)

RT: Penei Sewell (Det)

Defense

DE/Edge (2): Danielle Hunter (Min), Aidan Hutchinson (Det)

DT (2): Kenny Clark (GB), Harrison Phillips (Min)

LB (2): Tremaine Edmunds (Chi), D'Vondre Campbell (GB)

S (2):

CB (2): Jaire Alexander (GB), Byron Murphy, Jr (Min)

Nickel:

Special Teams

K: Greg Joseph (Min)

P:

LS: Andrew DePaola (Min)

PR:

KR: Kene Nwangwu (Min)

I voted for Ragnow, but, honestly, I am not terribly excited about any of them. In fact, there really isn't a current starting center that is likely a Hall of Fame candidate.  While offensive line play has deteriorated over the last 20 - 25 years, center is the position that has fallen furthest.

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

It's unfortunate that the Vikings weren't able to trade up and get Ragnow in 2018...and instead they ended up with Mike Hughes.  Well, at least they got Brian O'Neill in that draft. 

I’ve always wondered if the 1st round had fallen the way they wanted, and they drafted Ragnow, would they have still drafted O’Neill? 

4 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

It's relative.  He is one of the best in a pretty bad lot.  He would be 2nd string to the great centers on the great lines in past years.

Sure, I guess? That’s like saying Joe Burrow would be a backup to Peyton Manning. 

Also, we’ve had some great centers in the NFL recently? Kelce, Frederick, Mack, Pouncey.

Ragnow, Kelly, and Humphrey seem to be the next up. All good players.

This is all pretty deceptive, tons of Vikings on these lists which makes sense in an individual position basis in most regards.

But in terms of starters across the board and pure quality depth positionally.  Not sure the Vikings would make any list taking out starting QB, only one they would make is the special teams unit arguably with kicker, punter and return men. 

No way are they they best OL, DL, LB core, DB core, WR core, RB core....  Maybe TE core with Hockenson, Oliver and Mundt but depends on Oliver.  Kmet, Tonyan and Allen could be hard to deal with or those rookies in Green Bay with Musgrave and Kraft then Deguara and LaPorta should be good on Detroit and who knows with Mitchell, Zylstra and Wright but they got good depth for sure.  

So Special teams and TE not including QB.  Would be nice to have more depth but maybe some guys will materialize.  Sure say pass rushers for the Vikings but depends on if Hunter stays and if Wonnum or Jones can take the next step, can throw Davenport in that mix.  The pass rush group of Gary, Preston Smith, Van Ness, Enagbare and Hollins is deeper in my opinion for Green Bay but time will tell.  

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Sir, this thread is about centers.

Sir, I want to clear a bit of the delusion that the Vikings are some All Star team or something, the depth is an extremely massive issue.  

It is early but based on this All NFC North team, Vikings should run away with the Division, that could not be farther from the truth because every team will be improved outside of the Packers and even the Packers are pretty damn loaded on the DL, LB, OL, TE, RB and maybe WR units if some young guys continue to develop.  And the Lions of course are already a really solid team right on the verge and the Bears are going to be hard to deal with offensively with a much improved OL, Moore being added and a power run game.  

Example, might be early still with rookies on the Vikings and injured CBs not playing last year, but not sure I would not take the Bears secondary over the Vikings in terms of pure starting four guys and depth at CB.  

Vikings need some key backups to hit big and produce or it could be a big struggle outside of the stars on the team.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Sir, I want to clear a bit of the delusion that the Vikings are some All Star team or something, the depth is an extremely massive issue.  

No one said they are an all star team? This is an exercise in ranking the best player at every position in the division. That’s all. Not about depth, team structure, which team is best, just ranking dudes.

if you don’t want to do it then don’t, but it’s the middle of the offseason and some folks are trying to have fun until the season starts.

you are making up an argument that no one else is having.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vike daddy said:

I see @Ozzyas Batman. A Caped Crusader who appears when you didn't even know he was in the room, always fighting for what he sees as truth.

So I say to him... Why so serious?!

I was thinking of another 'CC'.  No, not Cris Carter.  I thought of the mailman on Cheers, arriving after work and sitting next to Norm Peterson to discuss whatever he observed when he arrived.

Beer makes you smarter. At least that's what Cliff Claven tries to ...