Training Camp General Discussion

AZBearsFan

7 hours ago, Docknstein11 said:

Waddle & Silvy were at practice today and they said the pass to Claypool was high and uncatchable. The INT off Tonyans hands was a bad drop.

Claypool is playing well.  I am just talking about one play.  

A mistake was made in the Claypool deal, admit it and move on…this guy will never be someone you want on your team in this league. His ball skills suck, and he is very selfish.  I’ve seen the ‘impressive in training camp’ hype with this guy since his rookie year. He looked somewhat respectable with a HOF QB in a well established offense getting him the ball in the short areas. Someone else getting those opportunities would have done even better IMO, and he is not the type of receiver that Fields will be able to elevate, receivers really need to elevate Fields. The pass was high? The guy just doesn’t make the play 9 out of ten times, in general. If he was average in 50/50 type ball situations, he’d be a keeper. He’s not, despite his gifts in speed, stature and physicality. 50/50 becomes 10/90.

9 minutes ago, rlon said:

A mistake was made in the Claypool deal, admit it and move on…this guy will never be someone you want on your team in this league. His ball skills suck, and he is very selfish.  I’ve seen the ‘impressive in training camp’ hype with this guy since his rookie year. He looked somewhat respectable with a HOF QB in a well established offense getting him the ball in the short areas. Someone else getting those opportunities would have done even better IMO, and he is not the type of receiver that Fields will be able to elevate, receivers really need to elevate Fields. The pass was high? The guy just doesn’t make the play 9 out of ten times, in general. If he was average in 50/50 type ball situations, he’d be a keeper. He’s not, despite his gifts in speed, stature and physicality. 50/50 becomes 10/90.

Odds are overwhelming you backed a QB who raped women in bathrooms for his entire tenure. I don't think anyone here expects Claypool to be even the #2 here this year, and I don't think anyone here loves trading the 32nd pick for him either, but in a division as tough as the AFCN, don't you have bigger concerns than the Bears forum of this board?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Claypool is playing well.  I am just talking about one play.  

9 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Odds are overwhelming you backed a QB who raped women in bathrooms for his entire tenure. I don't think anyone here expects Claypool to be even the #2 here this year, and I don't think anyone here loves trading the 32nd pick for him either, but in a division as tough as the AFCN, don't you have bigger concerns than the Bears forum of this board?

That’s really a silly response…I was reacting to the false hype out of your training camp, as it happened to us with this guy. I think my post is more empathic than anything. You can’t deny how bad the trade was, it’s just about worse than Ditka trading a kings ransom for a Rickey Williams. It rivals the inequity of the Herschel Walker trade, albeit on a more direct, simplified level in both cases.

2 minutes ago, rlon said:

You can’t deny how bad the trade was, it’s just about worse than Ditka trading a kings ransom for a Rickey Williams. It rivals the inequity of the Herschel Walker trade, albeit on a more direct, simplified level in both cases.

To even try to equate this trade of a single second round pick to those for Walker (in which Dallas received THREE 1sts, THREE 2nds, a 3rd, a 6th and 4 players) or Williams (in which Washington received AN ENTIRE SEASON’S DRAFT plus a 1st and 3rd the next year to move down 7 spots in the draft) shows just an absurd level of bias and disillusion. Either that or you’re straight trolling, which is just sad. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rlon said:

That’s really a silly response…I was reacting to the false hype out of your training camp, as it happened to us with this guy. I think my post is more empathic than anything. You can’t deny how bad the trade was, it’s just about worse than Ditka trading a kings ransom for a Rickey Williams. It rivals the inequity of the Herschel Walker trade, albeit on a more direct, simplified level in both cases.

Mike Ditka traded a 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th round pick + a 1st and 3rd the following year for Ricky (no E, by the way) Williams. Herschel Walker was traded for six top 64 selections, among others. The Bears traded a 2nd round pick for Claypool. Your post rivals comments only a complete ******* moron would say, albeit on a more direct, simplified level.

• Like 1

I'll just add to the Claypool talk. Does trading the 32nd pick for him look bad right now in hindsight ? Of course it Fn does... BUT..he's been with the Bears franchise for less than a year so I think it's a bit premature to say it was a complete fool of a trade.

He can still be a very productive and important part of this offense for the 2023 season. We'll see what happens.

It's never a smart idea to be that person who's the Monday morning QB...to all the haters or it told you so ppl just please stop talking and get those negative vibes tf outta here 

I literally could not care any less about the second round pick. Sure, it was a high second rounder. But plenty of second rounders wash out. I'll let someone else pull up the data (I saw it on this forum once before), but second rounders are quite a bit less likely to pan out than first rounders. Not only that, but every year teams draft second round WRs who *might* turn into something. Claypool belongs in the NFL. He has proven that. Will he live up to expectations? Different story. But he will do a job on this team. 

Given a full offseason with the team and the reduced pressure of not having to try to be the #1 guy, I expect him to be serviceable this year. 

Remember, it wasn't that long ago we were trotting out a phoning-it-in Allen Robinson, and only one year more (EDIT: okay, he wasn’t phoning it in THAT YEAR, but only a couple years more) that our starting trio was Kendall Wright, Josh Bellamy, and Dontrelle Inman. Remember those guys? This is without a doubt the best offense we will have seen since the Cutler/Alshon/BMarsh days, and (remember, the bar is very low) could turn out to be the best Bears offense of all time.

Edited by chisoxguy7
Forgot what year Allen Robinson gave up
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chisoxguy7 said:

I literally could not care any less about the second round pick. Sure, it was a high second rounder. But plenty of second rounders wash out. I'll let someone else pull up the data (I saw it on this forum once before), but second rounders are quite a bit less likely to pan out than first rounders. Not only that, but every year teams draft second round WRs who *might* turn into something. Claypool belongs in the NFL. He has proven that. Will he live up to expectations? Different story. But he will do a job on this team. 

Given a full offseason with the team and the reduced pressure of not having to try to be the #1 guy, I expect him to be serviceable this year. 

Many who criticize the trade conveniently seem to be forgetting that Claypool was still a starting WR in Pittsburgh at the time of the trade too and was still operating in a WR2/3 role there up until the time we acquired him, and one who, once Trubisky found his way to the bench where he belonged, put up 21/232/1 in the 4 games immediately before the trade, then had just 2 games in Chicago where he didn’t know the offense before Fields got hurt, then Claypool himself got hurt.

People act like he we gave up a 2 for a guy who was a game day inactive before we acquired him, and that’s just not what happened. Claypool isn’t a superstar, and the price tag of a 2 confirms as much, but he’s a fully capable starting NFL WR in a secondary role who by the way is still just 25 years old. 

7 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Many who criticize the trade conveniently seem to be forgetting that Claypool was still a starting WR in Pittsburgh at the time of the trade too and was still operating in a WR2/3 role there up until the time we acquired him, and one who, once Trubisky found his way to the bench where he belonged, put up 21/232/1 in the 4 games immediately before the trade, then had just 2 games in Chicago where he didn’t know the offense before Fields got hurt, then Claypool himself got hurt.

People act like he we gave up a 2 for a guy who was a game day inactive before we acquired him, and that’s just not what happened. Claypool isn’t a superstar, and the price tag of a 2 confirms as much, but he’s a fully capable starting NFL WR in a secondary role who by the way is still just 25 years old. 

BUT HERSCHEL WALKER

• Like 1