Training Camp General Discussion

AZBearsFan

22 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Brisker & Sanborn aren't in pads today so hopefully we don't see the same overreaction.

Betting on Brisker being a vet day - nothing was said by anyone yesterday with him meeting with trainers or leaving the field or anything. As for Sanborn, he’s a fan favorite and I think he’s solid enough but he’s also the most expendable starter we have on defense IMO. He’s only gonna play a third of the snaps anyway, and he lacks Sewell’s upside. He’s very Nick Kwiatkowski-ish to me. 

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Betting on Brisker being a vet day - nothing was said by anyone yesterday with him meeting with trainers or leaving the field or anything. As for Sanborn, he’s a fan favorite and I think he’s solid enough but he’s also the most expendable starter we have on defense IMO. He’s only gonna play a third of the snaps anyway, and he lacks Sewell’s upside. He’s very Nick Kwiatkowski-ish to me. 

I rate Sanborn more than I did Kwiatkowski simply because he has a bit more range but I do agree he was overrated by many last year playing on a terrible defence...Hunter Hillenmeyer will always be the guy he reminds me of...capable of covering all three spots as depth and starting here and there but shouldn't be relied on long term as a starter.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I rate Sanborn more than I did Kwiatkowski simply because he has a bit more range but I do agree he was overrated by many last year playing on a terrible defence...Hunter Hillenmeyer will always be the guy he reminds me of...capable of covering all three spots as depth and starting here and there but shouldn't be relied on long term as a starter.

Agreed. We almost certainly don’t go out and prioritize signing both Edmunds and Edwards if Poles or Flus saw him as an impact player at LB either. 

For people in attendance, how is distancing both between you and the players and you and other people? I kinda wanna try to make it out next year but I have to be cautious about being around other people since I have no immune system. Someone mentioned binoculars so I’m guessing it’s pretty far away from players 

4 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

Sounds like a fun practice. Claypool and Jackson scuffle, Johnson running over a player, and then Scott dropping more passes hopefully he gets that fixed. 

I actually like a little heat in practice. I want guys competing hard as hell. Obviously not wanting anyone hurt so nothing like Martellus Bennett slamming Fuller but still. Games are aggressive by nature, practices should be as well. Let the coaches and vet leaders be the ones who manage that and keep things from escalating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

For people in attendance, how is distancing both between you and the players and you and other people? I kinda wanna try to make it out next year but I have to be cautious about being around other people since I have no immune system. Someone mentioned binoculars so I’m guessing it’s pretty far away from players 

Depending on where you sit/stand you are close to the field. They practice on two fields simultaneously so someone might be using binoculars to se what's going on on the other field. People are pretty much on top of each other, whether in the stands or standing around the field(s). I would think if you said something ahead of time they would try to accommodate you.

Edited by dafreak
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I actually like a little heat in practice. I want guys competing hard as hell. Obviously not wanting anyone hurt so nothing like Martellus Bennett slamming Fuller but still. Games are aggressive by nature, practices should be as well. Let the coaches and vet leaders be the ones who manage that and keep things from escalating.

I agree that's why I said it sounded like a fun practice.

• Like 1

It's obviously really early and a lot will change between now and opening day but man the depth on this team is so much better than it was last season...right now I struggle to see roster spots for the like of Larry Borom, Dominique Robinson or Kindle Vildor...as much as all three were never going to be starts they were all at worst key depth last year...right now my biggest concern on this depth chart is a safety where I see nothing behind Eddie & Brisker in the way of proven talent...DHC is still out there...no doubt I would welcome him back with open arms at this point.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ty21 said:

It’s like being at a big high school game.  People watch from sidelines and bleachers.  You will be around and next to other people. 

They rotate on fields to avoid wear.  Sometimes they are far away so you need binoculars to see numbers, I don’t think looking through binoculars for more than few seconds is comfortable so I probably wouldn’t bring them next time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

It's obviously really early and a lot will change between now and opening day but man the depth on this team is so much better than it was last season...right now I struggle to see roster spots for the like of Larry Borom, Dominique Robinson or Kindle Vildor...as much as all three were never going to be starts they were all at worst key depth last year...right now my biggest concern on this depth chart is a safety where I see nothing behind Eddie & Brisker in the way of proven talent...DHC is still out there...no doubt I would welcome him back with open arms at this point.

I don’t think at least at the moment that Borom has much competition for the swing tackle spot. Vildor seems like the odd man out at CB at this point though especially with Smith looking legitimately promising. Robinson doesn’t seem to be flashing nearly as much as Terrell Lewis at DE so far in camp. Depending on how they structure the bottom of the roster he, Gipson, Green and Lewis are likely competing for 2 spots, and almost certainly not more than 3.

They’ve played Terell Smith at safety some in camp - I wonder if they’re factoring him in their depth there. Being able to do so would possibly allow them to keep an extra guy at another position. Don’t forget we have the first waiver priority for the first 2 weeks of the season too. I’ll be incredibly surprised if Poles doesn’t take advantage of that somewhere.

To your larger overall point though, our overall depth is FAR better than it was last year. A bunch of guys who played starting roles last year may not even be good enough to keep as depth options this year. That’s a massive shift. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t think at least at the moment that Borom has much competition for the swing tackle spot. Vildor seems like the odd man out at CB at this point though especially with Smith looking legitimately promising. Robinson doesn’t seem to be flashing nearly as much as Terrell Lewis at DE so far in camp. Depending on how they structure the bottom of the roster he, Gipson, Green and Lewis are likely competing for 2 spots, and almost certainly not more than 3.

They’ve played Terell Smith at safety some in camp - I wonder if they’re factoring him in their depth there. Being able to do so would possibly allow them to keep an extra guy at another position. Don’t forget we have the first waiver priority for the first 2 weeks of the season too. I’ll be incredibly surprised if Poles doesn’t take advantage of that somewhere.

To your larger overall point though, our overall depth is FAR better than it was last year. A bunch of guys who played starting roles last year may not even be good enough to keep as depth options this year. That’s a massive shift. 

I'm just not sure they believe Borom can play in this scheme...I could see Leatherwood or the very interesting signing of Aviante Collins giving him a real run for his money and that is before we even look at the waiver wire when it comes to cuts...Vildor I think is even behind Jones & Blackwell based on last season let alone the new kids...Robinson like you said is competing with Lewis in my book and everything coming out of camp is saying Lewis is doing much more...

Both Smith & Stevenson has the size & skill set to play safety but I wouldn't be in a rush to cross train either...especially not as the top backup at the safety spot...Kyler Gordon went through trying to learn two spots at the same time last year and we saw the impact it had on him in the first half of the season...let these guys really learn outside corner before we think about anything else...

Preseason is going to see some real competition which is always a real positive.