Dolphins CB Jalen Ramsey out most of season with meniscus injury

RaidersAreOne

On 7/28/2023 at 3:49 AM, StatKing said:

I'll never understand why veteran players like Ramsey take training camp seriously at all. The risk is too high for something that is essentially meaningless to a 7 year vet who's already proven he can play at an elite level.

What's he going to forget how to back pedal? Just stay in shape and make it to the season healthy.

The guy has been been playing football for over 20 years at this point, I doubt missing half a dozen practices in July is going to diminish his abilities.

Because even the best still need to be in "football shape", not just "in shape". Sure we've seen players miss training camp right before the season, show up, and have a good year. We've also seen them get hurt, start slow, or just not look the same because they missed camp. Or they just don't have on-field chemistry with the other players on the field. Especially if there is a new HC/coordinator in town that plans to do something different. Training camp is a necessary evil. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Because even the best still need to be in "football shape", not just "in shape". Sure we've seen players miss training camp right before the season, show up, and have a good year. We've also seen them get hurt, start slow, or just not look the same because they missed camp. Or they just don't have on-field chemistry with the other players on the field. Especially if there is a new HC/coordinator in town that plans to do something different. Training camp is a necessary evil. 

Agree to disagree. Ramsey isn't just some guy, hes a 7 year vet that has played at an elite level pretty much from the moment he got into the league.

I'm not saying everyone should skip camp, but proven high dollar vets that are integral parts of the team? Hell yea.

In my opinion, the impact of needing to build "chemistry" with your teammates/coaches is kind of overblown. Coaches said the same kind of things 15 years ago when they stopped doing two padded practices a day the entire training camp and now look at them. All they do is glorified walk throughs with maybe one or two padded practices total and the game hasn't gotten worse.

I want to see the best players in the league play in games that matter.

22 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Agree to disagree. Ramsey isn't just some guy, hes a 7 year vet that has played at an elite level pretty much from the moment he got into the league.

I'm not saying everyone should skip camp, but proven high dollar vets that are integral parts of the team? Hell yea.

In my opinion, the impact of needing to build "chemistry" with your teammates/coaches is kind of overblown. Coaches said the same kind of things 15 years ago when they stopped doing two padded practices a day the entire training camp and now look at them. All they do is glorified walk throughs with maybe one or two padded practices total and the game hasn't gotten worse.

Fair enough. I grew up in the era of Jerry Rice legit practicing every single day to stay sharp, and never being above reproach. This was when training camps were longer too hee haw. So my mindset as a fan is going to be different. I've heard athletes say they hate training camp, others embraced the challenge. Depends on the player. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Fair enough. I grew up in the era of Jerry Rice legit practicing every single day to stay sharp, and never being above reproach. This was when training camps were longer too hee haw. So my mindset as a fan is going to be different. I've heard athletes say they hate training camp, others embraced the challenge. Depends on the player. 

Not sure the vast majority of this current generation could of played in that Era or earlier. Working twice as hard for a 1/10 of the pay. They are way to spoiled and entitled. 

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, StatKing said:

If he was still a Ram this might apply. He's learning a new Defense,  on a new team, with new teammates and a new DC. There is a learning curve even with a 7 year vet, so he absolutely should attend TC.

He didn't get hurt because he participated in TC, he got hurt because he was unlucky.

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Not sure the vast majority of this current generation could of played in that Era or earlier. Working twice as hard for a 1/10 of the pay. They are way to spoiled and entitled. 

A bit maybe yeah, but that probably applies to the majority of society now. *shrug*

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, StatKing said:

This might apply more if Ramsey were playing in a heavy man defense or something. Fangio’s defenses rely a lot on disguising their zones - highly doubt that’s something you walk in the door and pickup immediately. A lot of communicating, a lot of rotating, a lot of trust/feel in where or how your teammates play their zones.

Edited by Soko

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2023 at 5:03 PM, Kiwibrown said:

Thus begins Ramsey move to safety.

Really though, it's hard to see this going any other way.  This sort of injury at this point in his career...his CB play is so predicated on that athleticism.  No way that comes back to him remotely the same.

So i guess he starts the transition to a volatile ballhawking gambler of a safety now.  Clearly not what the Dolphins thought they were getting here.