Preseason Week 1 GDT: BEARS VS TITANS

Ty21

41 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Trubinsky

Again just box score scouting but he was bad today, could be looking to get cut if he doesn't improve.

21 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

In other news, Fields is about to be the only first round qb still starting from his class 

I guess if Lawrence doesn't count.

As much as preseason doesn’t really mean anything because we have no idea how vanilla the schemes are but there was some stand out observations in the game…

Can’t really take much from what we saw of Fields…easy throws & reads going for huge TDs…one thing he can take from the game is that he knows he has legit playmakers around him and he doesn’t need to do it all himself anymore…not a great start at all from P.J Walker…not sure where he was going on that first throw…inaccurate on a few other throws he should be expected to make…I really want to keep Bagent as that development QB.

Herbert showed he is still the #1 back given his explosiveness and ability to take it to the house…more to come from Foreman…both he and Johnson look huge out there which is a great mix with Herbert…Johnson is going to be an excellent addition to that backfield…physicality jumps off the screen…Ebner again looked pretty slow & predictable out there when he got his carries…Homer looks much better in that #4/ST role.

Great cameo from Moore showing what a talent he is…can’t wait to see more of him in the regular season…he will open everything else up on this offence…Scott losing the ball on a slant was hopefully a wake-up call for him…would rather than sort of thing happens now and he learns from it…Ford with a big gain but I don’t expect him to make the team

Not much out of the TE spot today…nice block from Kmet on Herbert’s outside run.

I thought Wright was rock solid in his debut…Whitehair was solid snapping the ball…really liked Carter out in space…you can see he is a proper athlete from the guard spot…with the 2nd team OL I thought Leatherwood was solid inside…really like the athletic ability of Collins at RT…hope he gets some LT snaps as preseason goes on.

Billings really has dedicated himself in the offseason…looks smaller and more agile than he has in the past…nice fit on the 1-tech…Jones seemed solid enough but will hopefully be the 4th guy in the rotation soon enough…Dexter didn’t do a lot on the stat sheet but you can see he was a real handful for the Titans’ OL…lot of double teams and when they tried to single up on him the OL was going backwards…that dent the pocket style Flus wants fits him well…his get off wasn’t perfect but he is never going to look like Tommie Harris out there…tougher to get off quick at 6-6”…Pickens getting a sack early will have been great for his confidence…then had an excellent play at the end of the 3rd quarter against the run where he got into the backfield in a hurry…really solid start from both…Bell looked good out there…great to see the rest of the DL room excited for him when he got his half sack.

Gipson was excellent in this game with consistent pressure & quality play against the run…Green helped himself as well…for me they are the top two backups on the edge given we need guys who can play the run as well…Robinson didn’t really impress me today…lost the edge for Willis’ TD run…not a lot of pass rush…I think Lewis needs more snaps against the Colts 1s as he was far more impressive…right now he would be my #5 Edge…Harris made a case for the PS.

Stevenson started the game off poorly with a blown coverage but after that really did well despite being targeted a lot…liked that he stayed confident & aggressive…nice PBU he should have picked and great job of blowing up a WR screen…penalty on him was BS.

Gordon looked like he has carried on the last month of the season looking far more instinctive & physical…I think he could have a big year now he will be able to just play the nickel spot.

Velus on teams is killing himself out there…I have no idea why he thinks in the NFL he has time to allow the ball to bounce…I have never to no confidence with him on punt returns at this point.

Jaylon Jones looked great on special teams…he should be a lock to make this roster.

Trenton Gill with some nice punts…Santos made his kicks.

Not sure overall we can take much from the first team offence given how little they played…first team defence didn’t look great but you have to remember we were missing 4 key starters in Ngakoue, Walker, Edmunds & Brisker…Edmunds & Brisker especially will be key when stopping the run up the middle which seemed to be our weakest spot early on…solid all round start…didn’t seem to be many injuries…just got to keep building now.

9 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

Again just box score scouting but he was bad today, could be looking to get cut if he doesn't improve.

I guess if Lawrence doesn't count.

I quoted him about Trubisky in regards to his post about spelling and mispronouncing Bears players' names wrong, hence the intentional misspelling of his name. 

Went to Ren Faire so watched early this morning and late last night (fell asleep)

I did check twitter during game.  A lot of people poo pooing Fields for throwing two long short passes.   Bah.  You can’t make people happy.  We had two 3 play drives for TDs   Object of game is to cross goal line.  Fields did his job.  

Of anyone (aside from DJ Moore) I was most impressed with Kyler Gordon who looks like a different guy from last year.  He had two Ronnie Lott hits and was flying around.

Herbert looked good.  First team Oline did their job for most part.  

Our pass rush really came alive in Gipson and Lewis, but it came later.  Can anyone tell me if they were beating Titan starters? Still they played well.  Kudos.

Looked like Stevenson blew coverage on first big play.  Which has been a knock in him.  He was playing very physical throughout though.  

First team Titans kind of ran it down throat of our first team D. 

Velus is not a punt returner.  Trying to jam him into square hole there.  

I still think he is useful to keep as a KR and WR/ATH, but Bears fans hate and probably coaches have lost trust him now to point where he is not going to be useful in anything in this team.  He might as well go somewhere else. 

I don’t get the media love affair with PJ Walker.  I thought he was really bad in Carolina when I watched him.  That shine will start coming off now.  Peterman is way, way better and we know Peterman is bad when he has to start games.  IMO they need to dump Walker and give Bagent some more practice reps.  He gets a handful a practice at best.  Worthless amount of time to develop.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Went to Ren Faire so watched early this morning and late last night (fell asleep)

I did check twitter during game.  A lot of people poo pooing Fields for throwing two long short passes.   Bah.  You can’t make people happy.  We had two 3 play drives for TDs   Object of game is to cross goal line.  Fields did his job.  

Of anyone (aside from DJ Moore) I was most impressed with Kyler Gordon who looks like a different guy from last year.  He had two Ronnie Lott hits and was flying around.

Herbert looked good.  First team Oline did their job for most part.  

Our pass rush really came alive in Gipson and Lewis, but it came later.  Can anyone tell me if they were beating Titan starters? Still they played well.  Kudos.

Looked like Stevenson blew coverage on first big play.  Which has been a knock in him.  He was playing very physical throughout though.  

First team Titans kind of ran it down throat of our first team D. 

Velus is not a punt returner.  Trying to jam him into square hole there.  

I still think he is useful to keep as a KR and WR/ATH, but Bears fans hate and probably coaches have lost trust him now to point where he is not going to be useful in anything in this team.  He might as well go somewhere else. 

I don’t get the media love affair with PJ Walker.  I thought he was really bad in Carolina when I watched him.  That shine will start coming off now.  Peterman is way, way better and we know Peterman is bad when he has to start games.  IMO they need to dump Walker and give Bagent some more practice reps.  He gets a handful a practice at best.  Worthless amount of time to develop.

1) If Velus isn't a returner, what is he? Because he certainly isn't a receiver. He's just a bad football player. 

2) 100% agree on Walker. He stinks. He stunk with Carolina. However most backup QB's are awful. If they needed Walker for 4-5 weeks, they're toast. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

1) If Velus isn't a returner, what is he? Because he certainly isn't a receiver. He's just a bad football player. 

2) 100% agree on Walker. He stinks. He stunk with Carolina. However most backup QB's are awful. If they needed Walker for 4-5 weeks, they're toast. 

I am not Velus agent.  He needs to play better or begone.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I quoted him about Trubisky in regards to his post about spelling and mispronouncing Bears players' names wrong, hence the intentional misspelling of his name. 

I was just adding about Trubisky, nothing more. 

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

https://x.com/brettkollmann/status/1690721890661527552?s=46&t=zS6myTJEZGWh-8Y4tXRk5w

Stevenson got burned on the long pass on the first drive but looked solid beyond that. Liked the way he tackled, specifically.

Kyler Gordon looks incredibly comfortable and confident right now. Reminding me of Kyle Fuller’s PB season in terms of his swagger and his physicality.

Offensive playmakers are actually playmakers. It’s not a bad thing that we move the ball and score points without Justin having to do everything. Moving the ball and scoring points is the point.

Roschon Johnson is going to have a role here for sure. He reminds me of David Montgomery in the way he runs through contact, but he clearly has more speed.

I agree with whoever said 21 looks weird on Foreman. It definitely does.

I’m starting to think Velus’ problem isn’t that he can’t catch but that he’s afraid to get hit. He catches punts fine in practice (apparently) but once we’re in games he’s timid with everything. Kind of a big deal if he’s afraid to get hit… 

• Like 1