Postseason Plundering of the Coaching Staff

swede700

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

To be honest, I still don't see any team hiring Shurmur. I am sure he will take a couple interviews, but usually you don't see many coaches with a head coaching record of 10-23 get another shot. It would be one thing if he was 52 years old and never was a head coach, someone may take a chance on him, but after this season and how Sean McVay did it may start a trend for this year's hirings.

Coach's like Mike Vrabel, Jim-Bob Cooter, Teryl Austin, Pete Carmichael, Matt Nagy, Joe DeFlippo, and Matt Lafleur are all younger and would be first time head coaches. I see a lot of people like this get their shot.

How about a 48-year old with a 36-44 record?

10 minutes ago, Klomp said:

How about a 48-year old with a 36-44 record?

Who's that?  

As far as the whole McVay thing, I'm certain that there is going to be a team or 2 that may want to go that route, but not all of them will...and I can see around 8 openings.  Some of them are going to consider guys with at least some head coaching experience...guys like Shurmur and Schwartz.  

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

Well yes, but I'm talking more towards trends. The NFL seems to be a trendy league between offensive systems, to types of QB's to how defenses are played. Right now the trend is the first time head coach with something to prove.

Does one hire really make it a trend?

Just now, Klomp said:

Does one hire really make it a trend?

that is how trends start!

Anthony Lynn was also a first time head coach

Sean McDermott was also a first time head coach

Vance Joseph was also a first time head coach

along with Kyle Shanahan being a first time head coach

Doug Marrone is the only repeat head coach where he coached for 2 years, moved to Jacksonville as the assistant HC and got brought up to intern-HC to finally HC. He stayed in system.

Along with every team with coaching changes really are improving the team outside of Vance Joseph who just has no offense and the defense is heading in the wrong direction.

Lynn & McDermott in the playoff hunt and both defenses are improving with young talent.

McVay and the Rams are in the Hunt for a division title and playing great football

Shanahan started with a disaster, no QB/offense and the defense looked ugly but are young with what they have and is starting to look like its heading in the right direction.

9 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

that is how trends start!

Anthony Lynn was also a first time head coach

Sean McDermott was also a first time head coach

Vance Joseph was also a first time head coach

along with Kyle Shanahan being a first time head coach

Doug Marrone is the only repeat head coach where he coached for 2 years, moved to Jacksonville as the assistant HC and got brought up to intern-HC to finally HC. He stayed in system.

Everything I've heard previously when talking about McVay starting a trend is the YOUNG coordinator. Fair point on Shanahan, but the other three don't really fall into that young category at 43 or older (now wait while I hide from vd)

39 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Everything I've heard previously when talking about McVay starting a trend is the YOUNG coordinator. Fair point on Shanahan, but the other three don't really fall into that young category at 43 or older (now wait while I hide from vd)

And it's also fair to acknowledge that McVay was a coordinator for 3 full years before getting his chance at being a HC.  Of the list above, only Teryl Austin and Pete Carmichael have as much experience as McVay did as a coordinator.  In fact, most of the names mentioned have less than 2 years of experience coordinating.  I'm not sure that many teams are going to want to take that leap.  McVay was an extremely unique case.  Even younger guys like Adam Gase and Kyle Shanahan had as much, if not more (in the case of Shanahan) years of experience as a coordinator as McVay.

I think it would take an exceptional case (such as it was for Tomlin) for a team to hire a young guy with limited experience at running an offense or defense to run an entire team.  And based upon the reports of all of them, I'm not sure there's an exceptional case amongst them.  The only one that comes close is maybe Nagy.  

Truly is amazing what Shurmur got himself into. From accepting a job as a TE coach, half a year as interim coordinator, one full year as a great coordinator to now being mentioned as a Head Coach candidate.

Whatever happens, I have to say that I'm very proud of him and hope it works out in his favor!

Archived