Postseason Plundering of the Coaching Staff

swede700

On 12/22/2017 at 1:21 PM, SemperFeist said:

Four or five weeks ago I was completely on board with hiring Hue Jackson as the team’s OC, if Shurmur takes a Head Coaching job. 

After the last couple of weeks and listening to his recent press conferences, I want nothing to do with him on this team and in this locker room. 

I've never been a huge fan of his, but could understand them bringing him in because of Zimmer's familiarity with him, but I actually think they might finally promote Stefanski to OC, giving him his shot.

Del Rio as a DC?

Helluva DC in his days.

Would be interesting to see what he could do there with Zimmer.

Only issue is most of his defenses have been a 3-4 defense, but hey lets add some more looks to this already scary defense.

A lot of coach opening could happen this year as rumored.

• Bears
  • Colts
  • Lions
  • Cards
  • Raiders (Rumor)
  • Bengals
  • Giants
  • Browns (who knows?)
  • Redskins (Rumor)
  • Texans (Rumor)
  • Bucs (Rumor)

That's possibly 11 teams that could have HC changes. That is A LOT.

3 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Del Rio as a DC?

Helluva DC in his days.

Would be interesting to see what he could do there with Zimmer.

Only issue is most of his defenses have been a 3-4 defense, but hey lets add some more looks to this already scary defense.

A lot of coach opening could happen this year as rumored.

• Bears
  • Colts
  • Lions
  • Cards
  • Raiders (Rumor)
  • Bengals
  • Giants
  • Browns (who knows?)
  • Redskins (Rumor)
  • Texans (Rumor)
  • Bucs (Rumor)

That's possibly 11 teams that could have HC changes. That is A LOT.

While I see the attractiveness of the Colts bringing back Arians, I still see that job as the prime landing spot for Shurmur.  With the success that Shurmur has had with Keenum, could you imagine what he could do with a healthy Luck?  

1 minute ago, disaacs said:

While I see the attractiveness of the Colts bringing back Arians, I still see that job as the prime landing spot for Shurmur.  With the success that Shurmur has had with Keenum, could you imagine what he could do with a healthy Luck?  

Would be a great fit for him because of the offense, and the weapons are there if Luck is back. Mack and if Gore returns would be very similar to Jet and Murray, and they have the receivers and a line that has some young talent. But the offense he is running here still thrives by defense.

Still believe his best fit would end up being in Houston if that job opens up.

Defense is there when they are healthy. Watson, Miller, Foreman, Nuk, Fuller. Keep Watson from making stupid mistakes, and you can basically launch it up to Nuk and he has a shot.

Bruce Arians, a two-time NFL Coach of the Year who is just less than two seasons removed from taking the Arizona Cardinals to the NFC title game, will agree to part ways with the Cardinals next week, multiple sources tell Pro Football Weekly.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2017/12/26/way-we-hear-it-bruce-arians-and-arizona-cardinals-will-agree-to-part-ways-after-season/ahhsf5i/

2 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I didn't know Houston or Oakland were actually considering moving on from their coaches this year.

Oakland isn't much of a surprise, as Del Rio may be pressured to get rid of his buddy Tice and also the new OC (and MN native) Todd Downing.  Houston surprises me some, but apparently there is some friction between Rick Smith (the GM) and O'Brien.  

Arizona would certainly be a possibility for Shurmur, but I'm not sure the talent is there anymore in Arizona, outside of David Johnson.  I'm not a fan of any of their receivers not named Larry Fitzgerald and they may get stuck with Carson Palmer, if he chooses not to retire, even though they can save about $14M by just outright cutting him.  

But, even if they'd replace Carson with Case, they may need Larry to retire too, so they can upgrade the talent around him.  

25 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Arizona would certainly be a possibility for Shurmur, but I'm not sure the talent is there anymore in Arizona, outside of David Johnson.  I'm not a fan of any of their receivers not named Larry Fitzgerald and they may get stuck with Carson Palmer, if he chooses not to retire, even though they can save about $14M by just outright cutting him.  

But, even if they'd replace Carson with Case, they may need Larry to retire too, so they can upgrade the talent around him.  

Larry is a solid weapon yet for one year and could be used as a stop gap type receiver. As we just saw last week he is more than capable. He also signed a 1 year contract earlier this year.

They drafted Chad Williams who I still have plenty of faith in and would be a good receiver type in Shurmurs system. Not to mention Ricky Seals-Jones developing as an athletic TE. The Browns and Nelson aren't all that much of fits like you will see with Thielen and Diggs, but they sure are quick. Actually John Brown isn't a terrible with quick release stuff, he just can't stay healthy.

Draft, and free agency will be key if they want something on that offense. Defense has a few holes, but they sure have a ton of talent on that roster defensively. (Peterson, Mathieu, Baker, Jones, Reddick and you could probably include Wright and Nkemdiche if they ever develop)

They are an older team, but not THAT old that you can't have some time to build around the aging players.

Archived