Tyson Bagent

G08

On 8/18/2023 at 6:32 PM, G08 said:

Been a minute, hope you all have been well!

Wanted to get the board's thoughts on this young gunslinger:

I'm a fan from the (admittedly) little I've seen of him. Last week it was accurate off platform throws with shoulders squared to the target, ability to move and athleticism. Training camp reports have been positive as well.

I dunno, he won't be QB3 / emergency but I would at minimum want him on the practice squad and if he develops well, QB2 next year?

Fun facts: the kid is the NCAA’s all-time leader across all divisions in career touchdown passes (159) and his old man will beat you in arm wrestling (except for @Sugashane, IYKYK) 

Fun to see how this thread evolved from 2 months ago!

18 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Always ready

Bagent's arm did not seem strong enough last week, but on some podcast they were saying his footwork was really rushed and off, so maybe not coming in cold will help him settle down as he looked pretty aware other wise

He has a strong arm.  He isn't Josh Allen or Mahomes who have cannons.   But he is big, strong guy with a strong arm.   

Many think he has a weak arm right now because he under through that int.   He under through that int under pressure.  He said he under threw it.

It happens. He could have thrown it farther.  

Speaking of that.  How many good NFL QBs are there in any given year - like 10 -14 right?

Because to be a good NFL QB, you have to have sufficient NFL Experience/knowledge, be smart, process information quickly, be a hard worker, have a strong enough arm to get ball to deep corners on a rope or fit it in between player and get it deep and be a good enough athlete to avoid rushers and take hits.

A lot of people have some qualities, but not many have all of them.

You could make that talent pool way, way larger simply by using a slightly smaller football.   So faster processing guys can also have sufficient arm strength to play.  

I have thrown a youth sized Nike football over 50 yards several times in practice in my late 30s and out of shape.  Size 9 is HS to Pro.   This would have been like size 7 football.  They are narrower and lighter.  Not saying using a size 7.   But just slightly smaller and more aerodynamic.

Edited by dll2000

If this guy goes from UDFA making team to supplanting PJ Walker as QB2 to supplanting a healthy Fields as starter that would be some story.  

Imagine having that on your bingo card. 

My favorite moment of game is when he started hyping the crowd in end zone.  It’s his first game!   However it turns out this guy has balls.  

I have been Fields biggest backer.  He is as talented as any QB in league.

At some point though potential gets you fired.  I don’t know why he won’t throw it, but he doesn’t.   At some point he is who he is.  He has sufficient experience and that is no longer an excuse.

NFL QB is played between ears.  If I am coaching or GMing for my job and I don’t have another 2-3 years of security I go with Bagent.  

Bagent is the baby.  He hasn’t had offseason practice reps or starter reps until last week.  He shouldn’t know whole playbook in his first year.   He shouldn’t be able to make reads yet.  

He should have the excuses.  

Bottom line is ball comes out of his hand.  Kind of an important part to playing QB.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

What did you think of Bagent as on outsider? 

Considering he is a rookie.  And he worked his way up depth chart getting very few offseason reps and only got starter reps this week. 

Is that a situation where anyone would have done well because Raiders were playing bad, or did Bagent play well all things considered.

This is real advanced for a D2 rookie QB...like I said a few weeks back his production in college at any level of the game is impressive...

Again no one is getting carried away thinking this guys is going to be a great QB but I hope we give him some more rope to throw the ball deeper against the Chargers.

5 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

This is real advanced for a D2 rookie QB...like I said a few weeks back his production in college at any level of the game is impressive...

Again no one is getting carried away thinking this guys is going to be a great QB but I hope we give him some more rope to throw the ball deeper against the Chargers.

That was may favorite on field play of the game.   I saw it on condensed when I was watching it first time and I had to go back and watch it again.  Was like did I just see what I thought I saw?

That play and him hyping crowd in end zone were moments that made me cheer out loud.

7 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I remain optimistic.  Odds are everyone and anyone will fail at QB in NFL.  Even top 3 picks.  Happens more often than it doesn't.

Why not Bagent I say.  People on twitter labeling him a career back up without much evidence either way.   

I think people assume any late round pick or UDFA will suck until he doesn't for a long time.  And people will often assume best of early picks until they prove otherwise.