Tyson Bagent

G08

4 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Also I'm 99% sure Epyon is joking, and possibly other people as well.  But if not, I cannot think of a player who needs a "push" at QB1 less than Fields.  Every single bit of data we have suggests he's super motivated, and last year we literally watched him transform his game-and in doing so take an unreal beating-in order to make anything happen on offense at all. There is not one single news story, camp report, or fan intereaction to suggests he needs outside pressure. Kyler Murray this is not.  Find me a shot of him relazing on vacation and I'll show you ten of him throwing a medicine ball around for fun at home. Dude probably does 2 hrs a day of just mobility which is why he's still ambulatory after last year. 

I am not joking =(

I am also not referring to Fields' work ethic behind the scenes (which as you say, has been stellar). I AM referring to Fields' terrible passing game production. After 2 years, he isn't my anointed starting QB.... RIGHT NOW, he's still a running back playing the wrong position who needs a dramatically different season to even get a 5th year option.  Frankly I think it's bizarre people would even consider being "all in" on the guy right now. He has 1870 passing yards and 2242 passing yards in his two years  (or  2649 and 2540 if you had him healthy and playing for 17 games each year).  That isn't even "not good", that is downright TERRIBLE. He has never once put together an entire drive where he appears to have command of either offense, and is making throws with timing, rhythm, anticipation, and/or ball placement to hit receivers in stride.

Again, he has a laundry list of excuses (valid ones even), but that's all they are right now: excuses. So yeah, I'm not actually backing off that comment, Bagent should be allowed to unseat Fields, -=IF HE CAN=-.  Once again, I still don't think it's likely he does (because Fields has dramatically superior tools in the toolbox, like his overall athleticism, scrambling ability, and  probably arm strength), but Fields needs to produce, and unlike most people, I actually came away from Fields' preseason action LESS confident in him going forward. Barely completing screen passes isn't the win you all apparently think it is.

I'd close by saying, anointing players as a starter without competition, is how we ended up with rejects like Mustipher at center. NO ONE should be safe from competing for their job, and/or risking losing it if they fail to produce. The QB position shouldn't be any different.

4 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

You are not kidding, but I am all about it, this **** is great!  

Also I'm 99% sure Epyon is joking, and possibly other people as well.  But if not, I cannot think of a player who needs a "push" at QB1 less than Fields.  Every single bit of data we have suggests he's super motivated, and last year we literally watched him transform his game-and in doing so take an unreal beating-in order to make anything happen on offense at all. There is not one single news story, camp report, or fan intereaction to suggests he needs outside pressure. Kyler Murray this is not.  Find me a shot of him relazing on vacation and I'll show you ten of him throwing a medicine ball around for fun at home. Dude probably does 2 hrs a day of just mobility which is why he's still ambulatory after last year. 

DLL you tried to suggest all this wasn't real before... you happy now? I've been a TB Truther from day one, this **** was inevitable.  But I suggest you just go along for the ride, as a Bears' QB "controversy" will do things to your brain that even hard drugs can't. 

Narrator: he was not joking

18 minutes ago, Epyon said:

I am not joking =(

I am also not referring to Fields' work ethic behind the scenes (which as you say, has been stellar). I AM referring to Fields' terrible passing game production. After 2 years, he isn't my anointed starting QB.... RIGHT NOW, he's still a running back playing the wrong position who needs a dramatically different season to even get a 5th year option.  Frankly I think it's bizarre people would even consider being "all in" on the guy right now. He has 1870 passing yards and 2242 passing yards in his two years  (or  2649 and 2540 if you had him healthy and playing for 17 games each year).  That isn't even "not good", that is downright TERRIBLE. He has never once put together an entire drive where he appears to have command of either offense, and is making throws with timing, rhythm, anticipation, and/or ball placement to hit receivers in stride.

Again, he has a laundry list of excuses (valid ones even), but that's all they are right now: excuses. So yeah, I'm not actually backing off that comment, Bagent should be allowed to unseat Fields, -=IF HE CAN=-.  Once again, I still don't think it's likely he does (because Fields has dramatically superior tools in the toolbox, like his overall athleticism, scrambling ability, and  probably arm strength), but Fields needs to produce, and unlike most people, I actually came away from Fields' preseason action LESS confident in him going forward. Barely completing screen passes isn't the win you all apparently think it is.

I'd close by saying, anointing players as a starter without competition, is how we ended up with rejects like Mustipher at center. NO ONE should be safe from competing for their job, and/or risking losing it if they fail to produce. The QB position shouldn't be any different.

Don't be a meatball. Over the second half of last season, he was 4th in QBR. "He's a running back" is a meatball, casual fan take. He had to run a lot because the cast around him was terrible. Find me a running back who can make some of the throws he did last year vs Atlanta, or some of the other deep balls he completed last year. Comparing this situation to giving Mustipher his job over and over isn't even close to being the same. Lastly, nobody thinks "barely" (whatever that means) completing screen passes is "a win." He got 3 passes in and two were designed screens. Did you want him to throw the ball out of bounds? Would that have been better?

You have seen Tyson Bagent throw 20 passes against future Wendy's managers and you're ready to say he should have a chance to take the first snap of the season. Jesus, man

Once again, no one can convince me that this fan base isn't the dumbest in football

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

Our fanbase absolutely terrifies me. It amazes me how quickly we seem to always want to anoint the Al Bundys of the world to be the next big thing. Qualifying player greatness based upon their play against fry cooks and girl scouts is just mindboggling.

14 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Over the second half of last season, he was 4th in QBR. "He's a running back" is a meatball, casual fan take. He had to run a lot because the cast around him was terrible. Find me a running back who can make some of the throws he did last year vs Atlanta, or some of the other deep balls he completed last year. Comparing this situation to giving Mustipher his job over and over isn't even close to being the same. Lastly, nobody thinks "barely" (whatever that means) completing screen passes is "a win." He got 3 passes in and two were designed screens. Did you want him to throw the ball out of bounds?

32 minutes ago, Epyon said:

He has 1870 passing yards and 2242 passing yards in his two years  (or  2649 and 2540 if you had him healthy and playing for 17 games each year).  That isn't even "not good", that is downright TERRIBLE. He has never once put together an entire drive where he appears to have command of either offense, and is making throws with timing, rhythm, anticipation, and/or ball placement to hit receivers in stride.

As for the "barely" completed screen pass bit. Watch his ball placement on those passes. Details matter. He isn't throwing hand grenades, "close enough" isn't always good enough, and he shouldn't be struggling with accuracy on routine passes, which has been a problem his entire career thus far. I want him throwing a damn ball to his receivers hands, and/or hitting them in stride... within the timing and the rhythm of the play. I want him making easy passes look easy.  We're all excited (and we should be) that Moore and Herbert both had fantastic screens where they caught passes, made guys miss, had excellent blocking, and scored. We finally have players  capable of getting YAC.......  but you know what else causes receivers to get YAC? Not having to stop or adjust awkwardly to inaccurate passes. Hit the receiver in stride, in their hands, and YAC will improve. Show me one complete drive in Fields' two years where he does that consistently, preseason or regular.

I feel like people only looked at the press box numbers for the first game, and are inexplicably giving Fields all the credit for plays made by Moore, Herbert, and the downfield blocking.

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

Our fanbase absolutely terrifies me. It amazes me how quickly we seem to always want to anoint the Al Bundys of the world to be the next big thing. Qualifying player greatness based upon their play against fry cooks and girl scouts is just mindboggling.

Why stop now? Make Roschon QB2 as Bagent takes on Green Bay. To not expose Bagent so soon- although he is a future hall of famer- Roschon can take some wildcat snaps in the mean time. Give Fields the Lance treatment. Maybe even call Lynch about swapping Fields and Lance.

12 minutes ago, Epyon said:

As for the "barely" completed screen pass bit. Watch his ball placement on those passes. Details matter. He isn't throwing hand grenades, "close enough" isn't always good enough, and he shouldn't be struggling with accuracy on routine passes, which has been a problem his entire career thus far. I want him throwing a damn ball to his receivers hands, and/or hitting them in stride... within the timing and the rhythm of the play. I want him making easy passes look easy.  We're all excited (and we should be) that Moore and Herbert both had fantastic screens where they caught passes, made guys miss, had excellent blocking, and scored. We finally have players  capable of getting YAC.......  but you know what else causes receivers to get YAC? Not having to stop or adjust awkwardly to inaccurate passes. Hit the receiver in stride, in their hands, and YAC will improve. Show me one complete drive in Fields' two years where he does that consistently, preseason or regular.

Ok! Found one!

Start at 4:47

3 great throws, 1 poor throw, 1 throw that he just missed Mooney on

Man, that took me a whopping 5 minutes! You can also watch their first drive of the 2nd half in that same video where he makes 4 great throws. Unreal.

Edited by beardown3231

10 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

There's a world of difference between giving a rookie a chance to unseat the starter and "anointing" him as the starter.

The only people "anointing" anyone here, are all the people trying to pretend like a QB who's only passed for 1870 and 2242 is someone who is somehow untouchable, when the reality is he has a pretty damn long way to go to even get a 5th year option right now.

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

I am not joking =(

oh ****

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

I AM referring to Fields' terrible passing game production. After 2 years, he isn't my anointed starting QB.... RIGHT NOW, he's still a running back playing the wrong position who needs a dramatically different season to even get a 5th year option.  Frankly I think it's bizarre people would even consider being "all in" on the guy right now.

Nobody is all in on fields, frankly I'm happy they're set with two first round picks, but his talent deserves a year with an ok supporting cast to evaluate. 

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

Again, he has a laundry list of excuses (valid ones even), but that's all they are right now: excuses.

They're good enough for me to give him a year with talent around him and no distractions. I have a lot of respect for your contributions, so don't take my thinking you were ******* with us as disregard for you. That said, to give these two QBs the same weight after last year's superhuman production-even if it's not the style of play we all want-and one nice preseason game, isn't fair to either player. 

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

o yeah, I'm not actually backing off that comment, Bagent should be allowed to unseat Fields, -=IF HE CAN=-. 

He can't.

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

Once again, I still don't think it's likely he does (because Fields has dramatically superior tools in the toolbox, like his overall athleticism, scrambling ability, and  probably arm strength), but Fields needs to produce, and unlike most people, I actually came away from Fields' preseason action LESS confident in him going forward. Barely completing screen passes isn't the win you all apparently think it is.

Just wanted to say I'm understanding what your saying but still don't agree with the premise. 

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Ok! Found one!

Start at 4:47

3 great throws, 1 poor throw, 1 throw that he just missed Mooney on

Man, that took me a whopping 5 minutes! You can also watch their first drive of the 2nd half in that same video where he makes 4 great throws. Unreal.

I have to say he really improved his pocket presence from that season to last season, hopefully he can take another big jump with his passing.