2023 Offensive line.

Old Guy

I've been hearing where the Packers depth on the offensive line is really good. They young guys have really developed. 

How comfortable are people if somebody other than Bak, Nijman or Tom had to start a few games at tackle? Are guys like Walker and Jones ready to step in against good EDGE rushers and hold up? 

What about the backup's in the interior? Is anybody comfortable with Rhyan, Newman or Hanson starting games for us? 

Which of these back up players have really stepped up and proven themselves this year?

Glad to hear the young guys are improving, but I'm not comfortable with anybody past our top 6. Hoping someone can convince me I'm wrong about that and the depth is real. 

Edited by Old Guy

10 minutes ago, Old Guy said:
I've been hearing where the Packers depth on the offensive line is really good. They young guys have really developed. 

How comfortable are people if somebody other than Bak, Nijman or Tom had to start a few games at tackle? Are guys like Walker and Jones ready to step in against good EDGE rushers and hold up? 

What about the backup's in the interior? Is anybody comfortable with Rhyan, Newman or Hanson starting games for us? 

Which of these back up players have really stepped up and proven themselves this year?

Well, at Tackle there's Hanging in There for a game or two, and then there's Allen Barbre. I think Walker and Jones have developed enough to make it to the former tier. Mind you, "Hanging in There" isn't even playing evenly against their direct man, but they aren't outclassed by any stretch either. This is like a 5.5 out of 10 that could go either over or under depending on the competition.

I'm less enthused about our trio in the middle, but as long as you don't do something outrageous like put Hanson at guard, you're going to get a consistent 4.5 out of 10, which will cause problems but can be compensated for, in theory.

I guess I would nominate Walker for the 'Step it Up' award; I was surprised about his 'stats' from yesterday.

Edited by Zycho32

I think Walker and Jones have become pretty darn good so far.  I do wish we would have been able to see more of Jones against the Patriots, but I liked what he did against the Bengals.  I don't have any worries about Walker playing a few games.  And we are looking at two injuries to get him there anyway.  I am very high on the tackles.

I am not nearly as confident in the interior players.  I think Rhyan looks better this year than last year, but he was really bad last year.  The second team interior guys actually were playing pretty well against New England last night, at least through my eyes.  I am still hesitant to trust Newman, and I would only trust Hanson at center.  I do think the issue with keeping Hanson is that Runyan and Tom looked fine at center in the Bengals game, and we already know that Jenkins can also play center.  I think it is difficult to justify keeping a center only back-up that is probably worse than just putting Nijman or Walker in at tackle and moving one of the other guys to center.  

For stepping up, I would guess Walker.  I think he was number 53 based on just kicking *** in the final preseason game last year, to legit player this year.  Of course, Zach Tom went from utility player to starter.

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Glad to hear the young guys are improving, but I'm not comfortable with anybody past our top 6. Hoping someone can convince me I'm wrong about that and the depth is real. 

Nobody is comfortable playing their #4 Tackle. Not a single team in the league has 4 starting caliber Tackles. We're one of the few who has 3 of them. Many only have 2. A handful only have 1. And there are even 2 or 3 that are hoping they have a single one. If you have 3 starting caliber Tackles, you're crushing it. 

I strongly suspect that Walker and Jones are not ready (nor will they ever be) ready to play NFL ball. I think Jones foot speed and leverage problems and Walker's anchor and hand work will be prohibitive from them ever starting and being even neutral players. Starting one of those guys would impact the offense. I don't think it would derail the offense but it changes the playbook on high leverage downs. 

+++

The interior depth isn't great. If we lose Meyers, I would be very tempted to move Tom inside. Hanson just doesn't have the physical skillset to play in the league. We should have taken a 6th round Center every year he's been on the 53. 

Rhyan needs live reps. I think there's an NFL Guard in there, I just don't think he's going to be comfortable doing anything until he's had half a year to pay. That's a Catch-22 when he's not good enough to justify the time he needs to develop, but isn't going to develop without reps. 

Newnan is similar to an extent. His confidence is just in the ****ter. He needs to stack a couple good games and I could see him being right on track. He's pressing super hard right now. 

• Like 1

What do you think about trading Nijman for a decent C/G? We would still have Jones, Walker, and Tenuta as backup Ts, and we could dump Newman and Hanson. A backup C/G would give us a two for one on the game day roster. Thinking about Bakh, Jenkins, Myers, JRJ, Tom backed up by Walker, Jones, and C/G. Sean Rhyne and Tenuta on the PS.

Edited by Mr. Fussnputz
added something

4 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

What do you think about trading Nijman for a decent C/G? We would still have Jones, Walker, and Tenuta as backup Ts, and we could dump Newman and Hanson. A backup C/G would give us a two for one on the game day roster. Thinking about Bakh, Jenkins, Myers, JRJ, Tom backed up by Walker, Jones, and C/G. Sean Rhyne and Tenuta on the PS.

Hard to accept trading Tackles for Guards without a draft pick compensation coming back. You're trading quarters for nickels. 

Even still I wouldn't do it. Bakh's injury history is too extensive to rush playing Caleb Jones for 12 weeks. Just can't do it. 

No reason to trade away our strengths. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I'd do it in a heartbeat but I would be curious if any team would give up a decent center/guard. 

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

I'd do it in a heartbeat but I would be curious if any team would give up a decent center/guard. 

I wonder if Gute is working on such a trade? Nijman is likely gone next year anyhow. Would a team make trade a G/C for a decent T? Probably. Aren't decent Ts harder to come by? 

12 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Nobody is comfortable playing their #4 Tackle. Not a single team in the league has 4 starting caliber Tackles. We're one of the few who has 3 of them. Many only have 2. A handful only have 1. And there are even 2 or 3 that are hoping they have a single one. If you have 3 starting caliber Tackles, you're crushing it. 

I strongly suspect that Walker and Jones are not ready (nor will they ever be) ready to play NFL ball. I think Jones foot speed and leverage problems and Walker's anchor and hand work will be prohibitive from them ever starting and being even neutral players. Starting one of those guys would impact the offense. I don't think it would derail the offense but it changes the playbook on high leverage downs. 

+++

The interior depth isn't great. If we lose Meyers, I would be very tempted to move Tom inside. Hanson just doesn't have the physical skillset to play in the league. We should have taken a 6th round Center every year he's been on the 53. 

Rhyan needs live reps. I think there's an NFL Guard in there, I just don't think he's going to be comfortable doing anything until he's had half a year to pay. That's a Catch-22 when he's not good enough to justify the time he needs to develop, but isn't going to develop without reps. 

Newnan is similar to an extent. His confidence is just in the ****ter. He needs to stack a couple good games and I could see him being right on track. He's pressing super hard right now. 

What you are saying is the hype about the depth of our offensive line is exaggerated. Seems like we are six deep with a bunch of JAGs filling out roster spots. 

Packers have 6 legit starters on their OL. Most teams don't have 5. If Walker is for real, they have 7 which would be way ahesd of what most teams have. Guys like Hanson and Newman, who are struggling to make the team are no worse than a lot of guys who will be starting for other teams.

10 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

What you are saying is the hype about the depth of our offensive line is exaggerated. Seems like we are six deep with a bunch of JAGs filling out roster spots. 

They are far from Jags.

If the starters are...Bakh, Jenkins, Myers, JRJ, Tom.

We have a legit starter on the bench at RT and LT in Nijman.  We have a guy at guard who has at least started in Newman.  At least they've seen live reps in games.  

Then we have a lot of potential in Walker.  I think he would be just fine if he had to play LT.  The athlete is there.  I think Jones can do a lot of good things at RT.

Then there is Rhyan inside.  I can't tell all that much right now, but the little I've seen, the kid looks to be good right now, running against 2's and 3's.

With the versatility of Jenkins and Tom, I think we are fine on the line, and it's showing this pre-season.  

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

They are far from Jags.

If the starters are...Bakh, Jenkins, Myers, JRJ, Tom.

We have a legit starter on the bench at RT and LT in Nijman.  We have a guy at guard who has at least started in Newman.  At least they've seen live reps in games.  

Then we have a lot of potential in Walker.  I think he would be just fine if he had to play LT.  The athlete is there.  I think Jones can do a lot of good things at RT.

Then there is Rhyan inside.  I can't tell all that much right now, but the little I've seen, the kid looks to be good right now, running against 2's and 3's.

With the versatility of Jenkins and Tom, I think we are fine on the line, and it's showing this pre-season.  

My response was to @AlexGreen#20breakdown of our o-line. We all agree with the six you pointed out. Newman, having played hardly makes him anything. His play of late would be a compliment to call him a JAG. He's been awful to the point you have to wonder if he's making the roster.

Rhyan - we don't know. He's better than last year but is he ready for prime time. 

Hanson - certainly not a guard, center, I'd be scared if he were in there. JAG in every sense of the word.

Walker - I'll defer to AG, we don't know what he might be, but he has a different analysis than you do. 

Jones - we don't know. 

The rest - we don't know, and they will likely not make the team. 

I'm not saying he's right and you are wrong. I've just been reading a ton of hype and wanted other opinions on where we are depth wise. 

FWIW Walker was awarded with a start against a decent defense due to a great week of practice and took full advantage of it.  

Rasheed Walker, a 2022 seventh-round pick, started at left tackle and was terrific, producing the offense’s sixth-best overall grade. He didn’t allow a pressure over 23 pass-blocking snaps and earned the team’s second-best run-blocking grade along the offensive line. Walker jumped Yosh Nijman on the depth chart at left tackle, and this performance should help his chances of being David Bakhtiari’s top backup.

25 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

My response was to @AlexGreen#20breakdown of our o-line. We all agree with the six you pointed out. Newman, having played hardly makes him anything. His play of late would be a compliment to call him a JAG. He's been awful to the point you have to wonder if he's making the roster.

Rhyan - we don't know. He's better than last year but is he ready for prime time. 

Hanson - certainly not a guard, center, I'd be scared if he were in there. JAG in every sense of the word.

Walker - I'll defer to AG, we don't know what he might be, but he has a different analysis than you do. 

Jones - we don't know. 

The rest - we don't know, and they will likely not make the team. 

I'm not saying he's right and you are wrong. I've just been reading a ton of hype and wanted other opinions on where we are depth wise. 

Newman isn't a JAG.  He's started.  Dude can give you 8 excellent reps and then two god awful ones.  It's about consistency with him.  If you want to get out of a game?  He can do it.  If you need a spot start?  He can do it.  The guy has live NFL snaps and games under his belt.  He hasn't progressed, which is very frustrating.  He makes the same mistakes, which is wildly frustrating.  I'd love to upgrade him, but it just because of his lack of consistency.  

Rhyan.  He's a third round pick.  He's gotta be fine, though there is no real evidence for that right now.  Just a gut feeling based on a few preseason reps.

We are certainly weaker at guard than we are at tackle in my book.  If you want to call Newman a JAG?  I won't rail against it too much, as it is subjective.  Rhyan should be better than him very shortly.

Nijman has started plenty.  If he's your first tackle off the bench?  You are fine.  Or you can flip flop him with Tom.  Fine.  Walker played a whole lot this week.  Feet look just fine, frame is perfect.  He's everything you'd want in Tackle 4.  Jones looks the part of a RT as well.

Hanson is not what I want at center.  I'd cut him and play JRJ there, or Tom as a backup.  Then I'd stash someone on the PS at center and call up as needed.

If we had JAGS on the o-line, it would have shown up in this first two games.  But it hasn't.  Our backups on the o-line have been much better than the backups they are going against.  It is a very encouraging sign.

32 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

FWIW Walker was awarded with a start against a decent defense due to a great week of practice and took full advantage of it.  

I think I read where MLF gave him 1st team reps as a reward in practice. I do not remember him starting either of our games and have heard nothing regarding him passing Nijman at LT.

Who are you quoting?